iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3 speed power shift ( Clark )

Started by David-L, January 26, 2016, 06:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Bought a 240B 1995 Timberjack today with the 3 speed Clark power shift. I have heard they are a good tranny but have no experience with them at all. Has a 4bt Cummins motor. Does it take more power from the motor to run the power shift than a manual tranny. The tranny clutch disengage is not working for winching in so you have to put the tranny dash lever  in Neutral instead of the foot disengage. Any thoughts on that one. isn't home yet but maybe by the end of the week. Will post a few pics when she arrives.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

snowstorm

i have that set up in a valmet forwarder its been bomb proof. the only part i have replaced is the turbo drain line. that motor shakes so bad at idle it cracked it

Mountaynman

snowstorm have you tried setting your idle up had to do that in my 610 timberjack with the 4bt fixed a lot of vibrations crane was so fast et the idle at 1200 and ran the crane on idle
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

Ohio_Bill

David, Congratulations on the skidder. Old Seabee is the Man when its comes to Clark. He has helped me out and several other people also . I have a loader with a Clark 3 speed in it . Not sure if the same transmission or not  . I think the general consensus is they are a good transmission. Mine is a 28000.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

ga jones

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

David-L

ga jones

awesome machine. Best transmission ever IMO. Probably the most desirable cable machine ever made.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Ohio_Bill

David, I am going to assume it has the same transmission as mine. If so there is a hose that goes from a master cylinder to the spool valve that places the transmission in neutral. Mine is actually part of the breaking but could also be a separate petal.
Bill
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

David-L

Ohio Bill, sounds like that separate pedal or the same function as the mystery pedal. I will take a pic When it arrives at the end of the week. it comes with a manual and I will investigate it. the machine saw a fluid and filter service in Dec 15 and its' been working abit. Sitting is the worst thing for all machines IMO.

ga jones

David-L

Does the DE clutch work off of a solenoid. Thats the only thing the owner said is not working.

kiko

The declutch is hydraulic from brake master cyl.  The pressure line will enter the transmission control valve in between the two shift spools.   Often a mico brake valve is used to turn the declutch on and off.  And never put brake fluid in the master Cly., only use the same oil that the transmission uses.

David-L

Took delivery today to my jobsite. Checked all the fluids and drove it in the woods abit and runs very well. real straight for a 1995 240B model. Cummins and a Geramatic 119 dash controlled with the 3 speed clark powershift is real nice. Can't beleive how straight and maintained and tight. Every pin has been done including cradle. What does this clark powershift like for fluid and where is the filter and drain? Looks like red type F tranny to me in it topped off. Is that ok or shoulld there be something else in it.

ga jones

ATF. The filter on the 380 is in the engine compartment on the driver side. It's a big spin on. The filler neck is on the same side near the rear of the transmission. Idk where they would have routed it on a 240. It's under the left floor board on the 380.

Logger RK

Nice looking Skidder. I suppose that brace up by the rollers r is for pushing trees when hand cutting a leaning one? Haven't seen that before, other then one or two others on this forum. Looks like a good idea. A lot higher then just the blade.

loggah

Nice Skidder !! i believe Dextron ll is the correct trans.oil.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

oldseabee

Clark did change transmission oil specs mostly pushed by mine and quarry owners with large loaders and dozers. It was found that they got better life under the new specs.
Clark trans oil specs., from 30 degrees and up 30W engine oil, from -10 degrees and up 10W engine oil, API- CD, SE, or SF, from -30 degrees and up ATF. Unless you are in a real cold place, ATF isn't needed.

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

David-L

Question Old Seabee, It has dextron now but for summer use if I change it to 30wt oil will that mess anything up seeing how its been run on tranny fluid? She pulls real good. 1380bd/ft out of the hole no problem. Power shift is nice.

Ohio_Bill

Bill

OntarioAl

Sweet
I am envious a very nice machine.
work safe, all the best
Al
Al Raman

David-L

So far so good, will take some time to get used to it and maintenance points but that will come in time. Headed to the job to take some hooks and sliders off as they were doing cordwood and running 12. Gonna take 6 off, lugging that around yesterday just about killed me. Just in a short time skiddin yesterday it's alot bigger then the 225 but actually turns better in the woods because of the newer no spin in the rear. dosen't crab walk at all. I am grateful to be in the woods with such a nice machine. Thanks all.

oldseabee

Your choice, changing oil should not hurt anything, may be a little sluggish on cold mornings. You are in Mass. so dexron should do fine for you, lot of skidders out there running dexron even down south where I am. Where you get an operator that is to lazy or stubborn to down shift, push the  machine to climb a steep grade in 2nd gear instead of down shifting to 1st very little time is gained but the oil temp climbs up to dangerous levels and thins out too much to do it's job of lubing, result is shorter trans/converter life, that's when the 30W will help. Like I said the spec change was more for the big machines in high cycle jobs I'm not a big fan of mixing different types of for no good reason. All that typing is just me talking, point is that unless you are having oil heating problems stick with what you have but keep the level topped off and change oil and filter on schedule and keep the engine cooling system in good shape, not sure about the TJ  Clark machines had the trans oil cooler in the bottom tank of the rad.

Maine logger88

Nice looking machine David! Should make a nice machine does that have the same 18000 Clark Trans the 240A power shift had? I know I guy who bought a 92 240A power shift in 93 he ran it for years and pulled a lot of wood and big hitches with no problem!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Spartan

Nice machine!  I am jealous.  I have an oldie.  I run the Napa TO-4 10w oil in my clark trans.

How much does she weigh?

Thank You Sponsors!