iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woody Biomass Harvesting

Started by Gary_C, April 21, 2007, 12:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

It was a hot topic when I was in school in the late 70's.  There was one project called silage sycamore under research at the Univ. of Ga.  Some hardwood plantions did get established, but the markets never materialized.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 22, 2007, 05:05:53 PM
Gary, are those Norway pine really red pine? Some people have labeled them as such according to the Dendro book.

Here in MN and WI red pine is used as a general term for what the pulp and paper mills will buy. That includes norway, scotch, jack, white pine, and even spruce. So most sales will specify pinus resinosa as norway pine so there is no confusion with the mill general term.

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 24, 2007, 02:09:18 PM
Gary, do you guys do much pre-commercial thinning in your area?

Practically none. It is even difficult to find someone to cut a first thinning on plantation pines so they get more than a little overgrown. The only ones that will do some is the private landowner with his small acreage of woods around his cabin, but even they lose their enthusiasm after the first time. The only other ones to do much is the "sentence to serve" groups that are chosen to keep the buckthorn under control on some state owned lands. And there is no enthusism to start with for that job.   ::)

I understand the wildlife people do pay some contractors to do some brush shearing and pre commercial thinning for habitat and they are enthused about biomass for energy because it will lower their costs if the biomass is worth something.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

:D :D Yup, my guys have a 'sentence to serve'.  It's called making a living.  ;D

That's funny, but I know the context of your phrase.  ;)

It's also beneficial for the trees, which is the second reason for this work.  That would be incentive enough for me if I owned the woodlot. ;) 
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

AN EXAMPLE OF WHY WE NEED OUTREACH and TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER

The following article, published in the Bay Mills News, is a classic example of culturally ingrained misconceptions and lack of clarity in the media.  If wood is to be part of the future energy solution, these are the sorts of arguments that we will need to be aware of and deal with.  Private non-industrially owned fiber (family forests, moms & pops, etc.) constitutes about 47 percent of the fiber in Michigan.  Current forest industry and future forest industry will probably need to tap continually into this supply in order to remain viable.  We may even need to increase the supply from these ownerships.

http://www.baymillsnews.com/main.asp?SectionID=13&SubSectionID=36&ArticleID=1597&TM=46918.37

Wood Based-Energy Notes
~Ron

Cedarman

A company is planning to put a biomass electric generating plant near Milltown Indiana.  You would not believe all the No Biomass Incinerator signs that are going up.  One fear is that their will be too many trucks on the highway bringing wood.  (We have several rock quaries and a huge underground warehouse that has many trucks per day arrive).  The wood hauling trucks would be about 1 every 1/2 hour or so.  Another complaint, if you can believe this, fuel trucks might collide with a school bus.  (I don't know where that came from but it was in the paper).  This would be in one of the poorest counties with one of the highest property tax rates inthe state. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom

I've been in counties like that before.  That's why they are the poorest and have the highest taxes.  They are full of mully grumps that can't see past the end of their nose.

WH_Conley

That's pretty much like it is where I live. All the big fish are in the small pond. They are  afraid if the pond grew they might be small fish.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!