iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Dust Uses

Started by SLawyer Dave, March 26, 2016, 12:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_man

Sawmiller The saw dust feels sorry for you because you didn't go get a shovel. :D :D :D

snowstorm

i was talking with a guy in the trucking biz from the midwest a few yrs ago. he bought a huge sawdust pile from a saw mill that had closed many years ago. i dont recall how many hundereds of thousands of yards of sawdust he got. he sold every bit of it to miracle grow. he said miracle grow is mostly sawdust the older the better

r.man

There are two companies that I know of that buy old mill properties just for the accumulated sawdust. In the one case it was a reasonably modern operation that closed because the owner wanted to retire. Sawmill operations are marginal at best in our area so the buyer ended up being a scrap dealer who sold the property to a mulch company minus the metal. The sawdust is said to be 30 ft deep on 50 acres. Similar to buying a gravel pit and it looks like a gravel operation. This has been done in at least three old mill sites within a 100 mile radius of me.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

I bought some miracle grow soil a few years back. And yes, it acted just like old sawdust. I was not happy. Won't buy anymore.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_bb

Most of mine ends up on the burn pile. Two interesting uses I've seen are making a sawdust stove and using it to make starter logs using left over bacon grease and newspaper.  The dust needs to be dry though.  Spread it out in the summer and it will dry quickly enough.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

4x4American

Quote from: Gary_C on March 28, 2016, 02:48:04 PM
When Using Green Sawdust, Take These Precautions to Minimize Risk

It's particularly troublesome with dairy cows but high bacteria counts can be trouble for any animal.

That was a good read.  I told the farmer up the road about that how my sawdust could be conducive to mastitis, he's thinking he wants to try and mix it in with his kd sawdust to make it last longer.  The guy he gets his sawdust from comes quite a ways to deliver it
Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with all of my sawdust off the new mills, but I guess I won't have to worry about it until I get a shed built...the wind keeps blowing it all over on the neighbors alfalfa field. Well, when it's blowing that direction anyway. Otherwise it blows it into the other neighbors trailer park.  :o
Oh well, at least half of my neighbors are happy. That's more than I could say when I was in town.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

4x4American

Thats about the only good thing about having neighbors close by.  You can throw your junk in their yard and not clutter up yours lol
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!