iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wheel cleaners

Started by bandmiller2, December 05, 2008, 07:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Made up a set of wheel cleaners for the flat wheels closest to the saw.As per circular sawmill book two oak blocks one each side of the wheel with two straps between.My old mill used this lashup and it worked well.I've seen wire bushes and paint brushes leather and vertical wood in a channel they all seem to work to some extent,anything new?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

york

frank,same thing i did-used oak-got metal steak pockets at Agway-trouble,i had was if ya run car off end of track way,they would drop out...bert
Albert

bandmiller2

Bert, I can picture that happening,my old mill i fastened a piece to keep the block from dropping down at the end of the track.It was like a light duty track extension didn't have to carry weight just keep the block from falling off the end.Frank C.

rpg52

My mill has a place for a bolt to attach a piece of a tire, notched for the track.  No personal experience yet.
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

LorenB

I stole this idea from a set up I saw on one of the sawmills at a show.  I got two pieces of fairly hard, brass sheet, about 4"x6"x1/8" thick.  I mounted these to a spring-loaded hinge (self-closing type) like is used for a door between a house and an attached garage.  I mounted the other half of the hinge to an L-shaped bracket that was then attached to an appropriate bolt on the sawmill to allow the brass sheet to scrape along the edge of the STEEL bandwheel. 

I doubt that this system will work on a sawmill that uses tires on the bandwheels, but it works well on my steel wheels.  Baker supplied a flimsy bristle brush that cleaned only one wheel.  I wanted both wheels kept clean, and that brush wasn't doing the job anyway. 

I'm happy with the brass scrapers.  It looks like they will last at least a couple hundred hours before needing new brass. 

My source for both the brass and the hinges was:
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

Lud

Good idea , Loren.  Let us know how it works......
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

LorenB

The brass scrapers have been on the machine for about 10-20 hours.  They don't get absolutely everything off, but they do clean a lot better than the bristle brush did.  I suspect that they will get better after they have worn down to a sharp edge, but so far they seem to be doing a great job. 

If I get the digital camera I want for Christmas, I'll post some photos. 

Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

bandmiller2

Really its the chunks that give you the problems,bark ,knots est.the sawdust gets rolled paper thin and flakes off.Can't remember ever having a sawdust buildup problem but trying to run the carrage over twigs and bark is not good.Frank C.

woody1

Frank, I had all kinds of problems with sawdust on my tracks and wheels. It would pack onto the track till I thought I had a flst tire. :D :D I used piece of 1" sch 40 and dropped a hardwood dowel inside of it, problem over.  ;D Jeff has some good track cleaner pictures on here somewhere.
Woody
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

bandmiller2

Woody my first mill had inverted "V" track, saw side,shed sawdust like snow off a tin roof.Had blocks boath sides of the wheels V on the bottom to fit track,pointed to fit in V wheels.Holes drilled in blocks for oil.Looks like your mill has mine  car rail,I can see how sawdust would pack in the wheel.Blocks ,flat to run the rail and a nub to fit in the wheel along with your drop stick should keep it squeeky clean.Frank C.

Meadows Miller

Gday Frank and Woody

The ones dad made for the meadows mill where made with lengths of 2" angle iron that cleared the rail by about  an inch then he bolted a 1/4+ thick peice of 2 &1/2 wide by 3 to 4"long peice of rubber belt that was ground on the bench grinder to suit the guide rail He lifted the carriage abit of the rails then welded them clearing the front and back of the wheel by about 1/8th of an inch then droped the carriage back on the guide rail he said they tight for the 2 years before they swaped to the auto carriage and they did the same thing again ;) ;D

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!