iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northern Lights

Started by Texas Ranger, October 30, 2003, 12:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

All you yankees nawth of the Mason-Dixon line look to the skies tonight.  Ol' Mom Nature gonna give ya a show, solar flares hit tonight, and the light show may be able to be seen as far south as El Paso, Texas.

"Grab the ol Lady, and a bottle of shady............
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Kevin

QuoteGrab the ol Lady
Last time I tried that I got my face slapped.

Got any more good advice Don?   :D

whitepe

Here's a picture I took from my front steps in Nov. of the early 1990's. This show went on nearly all night from sundown until about 4am the next morning. It was awesome   8) 8)

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

carhartted

It's clear in my area so there should be a good show tonight.  But I see them all the time this far north anyway.

Jonathan
Here's to making sawdust.

AtLast

GOOD LORD WHITEPE!!!...What a fantastic picture...and right on your frount pourch!!!!!!??????.....OUTSTANDING!!!!...Ive only seen the Aurora once in my life and it was as close to a relidgious experience as 1 can get without actually seeing the BIG GUY!!!.....GREAT pic and I hope to grab the wife and kids and share it with them tonight

Kirk_Allen

I lived in Anchorage for ten years and can say that although the lights are beutiful there, they're even better the farther north you go.  

Hey Carhartted, why not build in Fairbanks?  To cold :o

When we drove back to the lower 48 in 1994 we had the lights every night all the way to British Columbia.  I think it was a message from the Gods reminding me to come back home!

We also hope to be building our own home in Alaska (Haines) within the next couple of years.

Ron Wenrich

Well, we've had ours.  So far, its only lasted about 15 minutes and it was gone.  Maybe get more later on.

This is the first I've seen any in over 40 years.  PA is just too far south and east to see them very often.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

carhartted

Hey Carhartted, why not build in Fairbanks?  To cold  

No its not to cold, but all my family is in Anchorage.  But the longer I stay in Fairbanks the more its grown on me.

There is talk about a bridge accross Cook Inlet, now that would be sweet. Live in the Mat-Su burogh and be 10 minutes from Anchorage.  Just some thoughts.

Looking forward to the show tonight.  I heard they were good last night but I was inside.  Schoolwork you know.

Jonahan
Here's to making sawdust.

craigc90

They are looking good in Ohio right now. Probably the best I have ever seen. Thanks for the reminder  Don.

Kirk_Allen

Carhartted:
I was in Anchorage from 85-94 and they were talking about the same bridge then.

I have mixed feelings on it myself.  Yeh it would be great to be able to get to some great fishing holes and hunting spots  north of Anchorage in short order but for those who live in Wasilla and just north of there may find that what used to be a somewhat rural lifestyel will change rapidly.

Lets face it, when I was there we didnt have a Walmart, Kmart etc.  I remember when the first Toys R Us went in and that made major news in Anchorage.  Since then Anchorage seems to have become nothing more than another big city.  
(Still one of the best cities to live in) 8)

Where abouts in Anchorage is you familyl?  I lived on Campbell Lake (West of Fred Meyers 0n Diamond)

How old are you?  I have a son in his second year of college that went to elementary school in Anchorage.  I'm getting old, I cant remember the name of the school.  Slim chance you boys went to the same school but who knows.

Looking forward to our next trip in the spring.  

Good luck and stay warm in Fairbanks this winter ;D
(I know Faribanks is not cold, its just that Anchorage is much warmer)

Tom

I looked north toward Georgia and didn't see a thing.  I think the lights were out in Georgia. ::)

whitepe

We had a great view of clouds around 3000 feet last
night here in ILLINOY   :(      Atlast,  you are right
about the religious experience.  I watched the lights
on that November evening from 7 PM till midnight.
Then I went to bed,  pulled opened the blinds and
had a northern view from my bed till 4 AM.

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

L. Wakefield

QuoteThey are looking good in Ohio right now. Probably the best I have ever seen. Thanks for the reminder  Don.

Sounds about right. I think in Maine they were visible about 10pm. I -alas- was in bed sleeping before night shift.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Dennis

When I lived in the Yukon..(Whitehorse/1990)..we had some amazing shows up there...the ones we tend to get here in British Columbia, central...have quitet a few less colors, and are way less frequent...I have some old pics somewhere, I guess I will have to dig them out...
Just Log It.

EZ

My wife and I watch them for about an hour, pretty cool. Funny how ya injoy things like this when ya get older. Thanks Ron.
EZ

WV_hillbilly

Heck  we saw them and didn' t know what it was. The way the sky looked we thought the town 2 ridges over was  on fire.  ::) .  Then I read the newspaper yesterday  morning and got an education on what I had seen. Learnt something knew it just took a day to realize it. It was really pretty neat though.
Hillbilly

L. Wakefield

Aren't they EXCELLENT! I remember I first saw them in Ithaca NY when I was about 20. My friends were all really grumpy when I tried to wake them up to go out to take a look.

I will be passing by near you when I come south. Did you get a sawmill yet? I can't decide which side of the river I will spend more time on- I want to go to Companion Plants in Athens if they are open this time of year. I got some very good ginseng roots from them to plant. Must have been 3 year roots because they had berries this first year. I carefully planted each seed in a marked area and hope to have increase.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Sawyerfortyish

Here in north Jersey I seen the lights last thursday and I to thought somthing was on fire until my dad told me what it was.
 Lw do you dig ginseng ? We have bought ginseng root for years.Send me a message if you are looking to sell.

oldsaw

Grew up in West Central MN, and had a college buddy from up by Bemidji.  We sat on the hood of his 71 Galaxie more than a couple of nights with some cold foamys watching the show.

Also remember driving home at night after a date some nights and just stopping the car for a while.  I've seen them dozens and dozens of times, but they are still "new" every time you see them.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

pappy

Been really busy of late and haven't had much time fer the FF  :(

the AURORA BOREALIS was supermundo!!! ;D I had never and I mean never seen the northern lights so-so- supermundo.

Just like whitepe showed in his pic,it was just like that, but 360 degrees with not even a hole at the top. Red, green,white and more white.

Awesome :o

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Thank You Sponsors!