iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Surely it isn't a Maple, it's a ________

Started by DWyatt, November 05, 2018, 06:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWyatt

I have about a 3 acre woods where i built and it is literally 80-90% sugar maple and with all the leaves changing to their bright gold,  it it easy to find every other tree species with a quick scan. I have found two of these trees and can't figure out what they are, this one is about 20-24" dbh and another about 20 yds away is about 12" dbh. Not sure if it's relevant but both trees are on about a 15% slope (steep for NW Ohio) and within 50 yds of a creek.

Thanks in advance!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DWyatt

Interesting... I have no experience with any kind of hickory other than shagbark which I have several of in the woods. I'll do some more research with this new information.

DWyatt

Based on the Ohio DNR website, it looks like it could definitely be a bitternut hickory. 

Southside

Quote from: WDH on November 05, 2018, 07:22:04 PM
I believe that it is hickory.
Clearly it is a hickory, you can make out the underlying foundation of the terrifying presence of apotracheal parenchyma in the photos.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

samandothers

Quote from: Southside logger on November 05, 2018, 10:15:30 PM
Clearly it is a hickory, you can make out the underlying foundation of the terrifying presence of apotracheal parenchyma in the photos.   ;D

:D That's funny right there I don't care who you are!  ;D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

I ain't scart!   :o

On the Shagbark photo is the area where the pores are bigger where the bands of parenchyma are absent?  Trying to ensure I am looking at the right place, what the bands of parenchyma are,or in this case aren't.

Southside

Quote from: WDH on November 06, 2018, 07:04:36 AMFor those not too scared to look.

I still have no idea what it is you are talking about - ;D but....

What did you say?

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

DWyatt

Quote from: Southside logger on November 05, 2018, 10:15:30 PM
Clearly it is a hickory, you can make out the underlying foundation of the terrifying presence of apotracheal parenchyma in the photos.   ;D
I wish I know what this meant and could laugh with you :D

Southside

You can laugh with / at me, I have no idea what any of that means. I quoted WDH from another thread and put a comical twist on it hoping he would laugh and explain all of those big words for us non sesquipedalian types. (had to look that one up too) ;D

It's a running joke.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

samandothers

I had no idea what Danny meant, nor did Southside I don't believe.  However, Southside just smoothly used Danny's comments as if it were just natural/normal!

I like the humor.

WDH

Quote from: samandothers on November 06, 2018, 09:28:29 AM
I ain't scart!   :o

On the Shagbark photo is the area where the pores are bigger where the bands of parenchyma are absent?
Yes Sir, that is it exactly.  

One must be careful around parenchyma.  Keep your distance. 

Don P

I've wondered if or how that structure relates, pecan hickory is lower in density, strength and shrinkage (by around 3% in each direction!) than the true hickories that are denser, stronger and shrink a whole lot more.

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!