iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

There will be Pie

Started by Jeff, September 17, 2011, 04:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

12 years in the making. First Pie from one of the cabin apple trees.

Pete prepares the apples

While Lynda makes crust

And I keep them updated on the Detroit Tigers. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Lynda says to change my photo caption to "while Jeff lounges in the easy chair in anticipation"

She ain't wrong.  8)

Jeff

Things are progressing

Here is the recipe, as you can see, there is a notation that the crumb topping did not turn out last time, so Lynda opted for crust top.  The other change is the addition of the pats of butter you see Lynda adding. We only had to use 4 apples per pie. Wolf River apples. I measured one and it was 12 inches in circumference.

Jeff

Oh boy, there is a controversy brewing. Pete says he has never had a pie that didn't have brown sugar in the recipe. His Grandma ALWAYS put brown sugar in her Pie,  Lynda says, it doesn't need the brown sugar.

BONUS! 

Pete is cutting more apples, Lynda is making more crust, the brown sugar is on the table, and the first two pies are in the oven. The only negative thing I can see about this whole deal is that the tigers are down by two runs.

Norm

And I'm not there to have any! :D

Norm

I had to add that mine are done with 3/4 cup white sugar mixed with a 1/4 cup of flour and a dash of cinnamon. I put the sliced apples in the bottom crust and just pour this over top with a few dabs of butter.

Just what she needs, another arm chair cook.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Well, all that brown sugar is, is regular granulated with molasses in it. So if you all like molasses, everybody wins. ;D But same as what Norm says with the flour cinnamon.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I'm sorry to report that one pie did not survive the evening.  ;D

sawguy21

And I am sitting here salivating all over the keyboard. Man those look good, do you eat them with a slice of cheese or a dollop of ice cream?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mooseherder

I love Apple pie with Vanilla Ice cream nuked for 20 seconds. :)
Those look mighty good.

Left Coast Chris

Good looking pie. 

Was that Billy Bass above the TV in the picture?....... you guys have all the fun!
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

Looks mighty tasty from here. Cooking up apples here this morning for sauce and running the whole apple through a type of colander with a wooden paddle you rotate from your palm. Seems like an extra dish to dirty, and maybe a big mess. Let ya know. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

A slice of cheese is the old way to eat apple pie. What about pie for breakfast? I can still hear my Father say that,"Pie for breakfast". He would say it kinda loud. I guess it was something that he would do on The Farm. Not much ice cream on The Farm,no freezer,but they had cheese. My wife has one of those deep ceramic pie plates. Man that thing makes a mean apple pie. Probaly would take 6 of those Wolf apples to fill it. I need the wife to make me one. She doing cooking for The C Farm stand but the farmer goes hungry for apple pie.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Nice looking pies!

I'm a vanilla ice cream with warm pie man myself.  :)

SwampDonkey

My grandmother used to say, "apple pie without the cheese, is like a kiss without a squeeze." Now shutup and eat your pie. :D

clww

Awesome looking pies there, Jeff!
I'm sure both varieties of recipe taste equally good, too. ???
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Coon

Better freeze those pies till it gets below freezing and then ship them off to me for quality standards check mmmmmyyy keybbboard iis gooinggg scccreeewwwy leeewwwey ffrom the ssssaliva....   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Raider Bill

A nice slice of super XXXXX sharp New York State Cheddar cheese with apple pie!

DELISH!!!!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Norm

For the life of me I can't make cheese and apple pie go together. I know one thing for sure I wouldn't serve it camping out with you guys in a small tent.  :D

Mooseherder

Maybe the first guy to try that was outta milk but saw a block'o cheese sitting on da shelf.;D

SwampDonkey

If it was apple crumble, my father would drown it in cream. Pie, he most definitely would slice off a chunk of cheese for on top. Mother to, and a good many others I know. :D

Jeff

Well, we have been busy sharing pie and the first pies are now just fond memories. However, the smells wafting throughout the cabin is the new batch of pies about to come out of the oven. This time with a crumb topping. ;D

Jeff

Raider Bill

I think the sharper the cheese the better for pulling out the apple flavor. Vanilla ice cream would be my next choice followed by whipped cream then plain.

IMO New York State has the very best super sharp cheddar. Of course someone in Wisconsin may not agree.....
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandhills

Quote from: Norm on September 20, 2011, 08:33:43 AM
For the life of me I can't make cheese and apple pie go together. I know one thing for sure I wouldn't serve it camping out with you guys in a small tent.  :D
I'm with ya Norm, it must be something from back east...or somewhere, I've never heard of it  ???.  Homemade icecream and warm apple pie  ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!