iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rib roast

Started by Bruce_A, November 01, 2011, 03:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce_A

I buy for my restaurant and I am always looking  for a bargain for dinner specials.  Last week my meat supplier had up some frozen, no roll, lip on rib roasts for $3.00 lb.  I asked why so cheap and he explained that they had been in the cooler for at least 45 days before freezing and would have a short shelf life.  These type roasts have historically been very tender from the aging.  I purchased two and pulled them to thaw.  Cutting one into rib steaks and putting them in a marinade for a period of time before vacuum packing again and refreezing or cooking.  Unbelievable how tender and flavorful they were.  We then tried the other with out the marinade with equally good results.  What I would like to know is if any one has tried to can this quality of meat and the results if so.  Also any super recipes for  using the roasts other than steaks.

jdtuttle

QuoteAlso any super recipes for  using the roasts other than steaks
I cook a rib roast on the grill using the rotisserie. Place a metal drip pan under the roast add beer and 1 packet onion soup and baste until cooked to rare. I take it off then because it keeps cooking. The ends will be medium & center is rare. You may need to add more beer while cooking. Th au jus left in the drip pan is delicious by itself or a great starter for gravy. Simple & delicious.
Jim
Have a great day

Norm

If you have a grinder put a couple of pounds through it and you'll have one of the best burgers you've ever eaten.

thecfarm

I knew it!! Norm has been here. Norm is with meat as Swampdonkey is with butternuts. Should I also add as WDH is with grits?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I was trying to stay out of this, but.....  :)

Now that you mention it, I reckon that grits will go just fine with a rib roast  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

DanG it, I just finished dinner and you guys are making me hungry.  ;D Rib roast is one of my favorite cuts too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pappy19

Ditto on rib roast as my favorite. I put on a rub then cook it low and slow in the oven, uncovered, then at 140, I take it out cover with foil and finish my mashed spuds, green beans, and make brown gravy from the drippings. Bone in rib roast to me, are the best, but in a pinch, boneless is OK too.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Jasperfield

I have investigated canning meat, at a larger than home-use scale, quite extensively. And I determined that to do it properly is neither simple nor cheap.

One significant, almost inevitable, result is loss of color and flavor, both in glass and metal containers.

Ball Corporation gave me a pallet of new, lined, 603-700 (6-3/16" X 7" three-part) cans with lids. These cans are the best available lined metal cans for food storage known to man. I also used new Ball glass jars.

The best results are to cook the meat in the container, and this is very difficult to do consistently. The meat outjuices significantly, shrinks, and loses much of its color. The lids are attached and sealed mechanically with a (cheap) $1,000 sealer called a canner.

Using glass, at a smaller scale, yielded similar results.

Both methods preserved the meat suitably for medium to long term storage. Cooking in the can is the best solution, but is cost prohibitive for a non-commercial operation. Cooking prior to canning, then filling, cleaning, and then sealing is not even remotely an option for an amateur.

Cooking in glass is not consistent, can be messy, and is labor intensive.

Personally, I would freeze high quality meat and leave the canning to the food industry, unless I was canning at a home-use scale.

Thank You Sponsors!