iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

This is the WO and RO I cut Friday. Brought it home yesterday in the rain. Got the 10' stuff unloaded today and plan on getting the rest done tomorrow. At least the rain helped show how pretty the wood it. The 3X3 and 1/4 rounds and such will be made into bench legs. All cut into 8/4 live edge except on 4" thick mantel I saved.

Awful muddy out there but hooked my 650 Kawasaki to this trailer and it pulled it right on out to the barn and lot.

The rain and local flooding brought a flock of 15 or so turkeys out of the woods. I guess they are filling up on drowned worms and such. Nice to see this many of them. About 50-60 yards from my house through the living room window.

Some pretty good sized birds in the flock. I guess was just hens and a few jakes. No big gobblers obvious but they are generally in bachelor groups this time of year. A warm day or two will set them to shaking the hills and hollers around here.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

I live not to far from a hill thats named Gobblers knob for a good reason.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

There is a big corn field about 8 miles up the road from me that was harvested last Fall and a flock about the size of the one you show hangs out in it. They are there almost every time I go up to my son's place or over to Beckley WV to town. I love to see them in the summer with the poults of mixed sizes running around.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

starmac

We have a hill on the haul road named gobblers knob too. I heard there was a reason for it too, stemming back to the days the pipeline was being built, but don't understand, because there has never Been any wild turkeys in Alaska, much less way up there.

Actually there is some wild turkeys (sort of) down on the peninsula, but someone turned them loose.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WLC

Starmac, that hill probably gobbled up a bunch of trucks over the years if its the one I'm thinking of.  LONG and STEEP and straight on both sides? Or gobbled up some equipment when they were building the road.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

WLC

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 11, 2018, 04:40:48 PM
I live not to far from a hill thats named Gobblers knob for a good reason.

Looks like a tame turkey got mixed into the flock somewhere along the way in that first pic.  Love seeing the turkey pics.  Makes me think of my hometown in GA.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Kbeitz

I'm watching a movie called Highway Thru Hell.
The road is the Coquihalla Highway. Great move on Netflix.
It has gobbled up a bunch of trucks over the years.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

Well gobblers knob has got a few trucks over the years, but legend has it the name had more to do with a motorhome parked up there during the pipeline days. I can't say, as I was not around in them days. There is also O chit curve, but people keep stealing the state sign for that one.
I think most nearly any of the hills have claimed a few trucks on the haul road, but the straight one you are thinking about is probably roller coaster, or maybe beavers slide.

Grizzly

Kbeitz, that's one I'm well acquainted with. Puckered me up a few times but I'm still here. Lots of those chaps that gotta be rescued got there from simple laziness. When the sign says chain up. Do so. Or when the tires give ya a shimmy...... slow up some.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Darrel

When I worked at the blueberry farm, Lookingglass OR, there were turkeys all over the place.  You can chase them with the ATV and they will run in front of you for quite a ways but they start flying at about 18 mph.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Darrel on February 11, 2018, 07:44:46 PM
When I worked at the blueberry farm, Lookingglass OR, there were turkeys all over the place.  You can chase them with the ATV and they will run in front of you for quite a ways but they start flying at about 18 mph.

That's not all they do at 18 mpg. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

They will also just about scare you out of the seat of a tractor when mowing hay and they explode out of the grass right in front of the mower!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on February 11, 2018, 01:27:00 PM
Actually the next time that I get my sawmill close to my welder I am planning to weld some 9/16" nuts or something on the loader arm tips.  Of course I have planned on doing that before but forgot.   ::)

Lynn, I did that several years ago, it really helps, but sometimes we still have issues!

I'm now thinking of heating them up to get rid of the bark and pitch in the threads, then taking bolts and screw them in, then cut them off with about 1/2 inch sticking outside of the nut!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Yup probably needs more than I said.  My arms have also lost some of the curve that they originally had.  Lifting too heavy logs has taken it's toll.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

KB,

Smoke tree is a different species.  It is uncommon and does not occur naturally in PA.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=415

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Deese

Quote from: fishfighter on February 10, 2018, 05:02:40 PM
As it dries, does it stay that high yellow? None in my neck of the woods. :(

No sir, it fades after a little while in the sunshine.  :)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Deese

Quote from: WDH on February 09, 2018, 09:49:04 PM
Were you wearing my lucky shirt when you sawed that walnut?

:D

Haha you know it!!

Well, I actually wasn't wearing it  :(
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Grizzly

Whatcha Sawin???  Nothin. I wonder if spring will get here?

Andries

Get ready Grizzly - single digit temps on Tuesday and Wednesday this week.
8)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Grizzly

Promise? Can I hold you to that? Your sure? Really?!!!! Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now it better happen Andries.   :D :D

Andries

My forecasts are as good as the Professional Weatherguessers.
Plus or minus about 300% of the time.
:D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Grizzly

starmac

We must have the same weather guesser.

Thank You Sponsors!