iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working for a loser. (Yes, venting.)

Started by Nomad, October 18, 2013, 06:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Last month I did a job for a deadhead logger in Florida.  He had to have 1000'bf cut right now as a sample for a big job.  He's 85 miles away.  Okay; I'd look at it.  Wasn't busy that day so I went, looked at it, and said I'd be back the next day. 
     Next day I cut the lumber and got paid.  He wanted more logs cut the next day and needed to move them, so I left 2 Logrite peaveys and my logging arch for him to do that.  The equipment was behind a locked gate.
     Went back the following day (friday) and after waiting for him for 1 1/2 hours; finally got him on the phone.  He said his truck's transmission went out.  No problem; we agreed on Monday.
     Monday I showed up and waited an hour for him.  Never showed.  Made repeated phone calls; no answer.  Called him for the next 2 days; he ignored my calls.  Finally I went down there, opened the locked gate, and retrieved my mill and logging arch.  Never heard back from him.
     A couple weeks later I sent him a certified letter detailing his charges.  Travel fees, "borrowed" equipment, time on the clock, etc.  The letter was signed for, but no response.
     Today I looked up some info on this yahoo. 

29 traffic citations
     20 court appearances
     6 arrests
     2 jail terms

I thought about small claims court, but after looking at this info I'm just gonna write it off.  It really chaps my (edited by Admins), but doing anything else is just throwing good money after bad.
     He's used other millers before me, and he'll be looking for more.  Anybody wants more info about this clown, I'll be happy to give it in a PM.  He's on the east coast of Florida.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

Did you get your peaveys too? That really sucks. Who knows, you might get a call from him after he gets bailed out. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Nomad

Nope.  Had to replace the peaveys.  He's probably the only deadheader in Florida using a couple of LogRite peaveys.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sealark37

You are very fortunate that you didn't lose your whole outfit.  I'm glad that you came out of this so well.  Regards, Clark

Sixacresand

I would hate to have to do background checks on new customers.  Sorry you had this bad experience, Nomad
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

redbeard

Bummer! Hopefully the guy may come through, its good you put the word out on him for that area.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dgdrls

Never lend or loan anything or amount your not prepared to lose.
Unfortunate but true,
Sorry for your bad experience

DGDrls

sawmillhand

That is why I never leave my rig over night anywhere. I go and saw that day and get paid at the end of the day so that way all accounts are settled start over fresh the next day
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

customsawyer

Bill sorry to hear of your loss. We all have had some of them kinds of customers.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

JohnM

That stinks, Bill, sorry to hear it.  I'm not looking forward to my first deadhead deadbeat customer, though I'm sure it will happen. :(

That said, I think the term
Quote from: nomad on October 18, 2013, 06:08:24 PM
It really chaps my (edited by Admins)...
is now my go to saying when I'm torqued off at something! ;) ;D :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

sigidi

MAN!!! you where lucky!!! having all your gear behind his locked fence?? It seems strange, but I 'trust' my customers all the time - never thought they would be the ones to do the dirty and flog gear...maybe a rethink in my future
Always willing to help - Allan

clww

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

red oaks lumber

i think his brother and cousins live in my area :) it sucks, don't let this consume you!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

YellowHammer

Sorry for the bad experience, but he will be going to jail again soon anyway, so he will pay one way or another.
Don't let it get to you, there are too many good customers out there to worry about this loser.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

backwoods sawyer

I feal for your situation.
Thankfully i have had a real good ratio of good customer to the bad apples, However i have had someone go thru a closed gate and open up my truck and remove a new chainsaw and my parts took box and 
Quote from: nomad on October 18, 2013, 06:08:24 PM
It really chaps my (edited by Admins)...
replaced the chainsaw next day but replacing everything in the parts and specialty tool box has taken quite a bit longer, I still reach for something in the tool box and nope it was in the old one, cost me two days down time not having a spare throtle cable, odered a bunch of spare parts that i had in the missing box that day.
I now have tighter security at home.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

sigidi

Yeah, Backwoods, its the loss of the 'other' stuff you find the most annoying, same for me, had someone flog my trunk off site one day, had a whole bunch of 'little stuff' in it, lucas kit box, slabber kit box,cordless drill, spare mill belts, whole heap of spare parts I've learnt to carry over the years - I still think "I've got that in the trunk......DanGit, no I don't!!"
Always willing to help - Allan

Nomad

Thanks for the kind words folks.  I'm not discouraged about it, just angry. :snowball:
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

kensfarm

Maybe you should have left a diff lock on that gate when you picked up your mill.  :)

Nomad

Quote from: kensfarm on October 22, 2013, 01:16:10 PM
Maybe you should have left a diff lock on that gate when you picked up your mill.  :)

:D :D Never occurred to me, but would've been a good idea!
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

isawlogs

Get a graded chain, long enough to wrap around the gate and post, a darn good oll gradded lock and do a road trip and lock um in.  ;D   
  Two feet of snow pushed into a driveway after getting *pithed off sure makes a man feel a whole lot happier  too. smiley_smug01
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Nomad

Quote from: isawlogs on October 22, 2013, 06:36:55 PM
Get a graded chain, long enough to wrap around the gate and post, a darn good oll gradded lock and do a road trip and lock um in.  ;D   
  Two feet of snow pushed into a driveway after getting *pithed off sure makes a man feel a whole lot happier  too. smiley_smug01
Only two feet?  I may live in Florida, but I grew up in your climate.  Snow has a lot of redeeming qualities. ;D
     And I never thought about it, but you're right.  A big pile of snow in your unpleasant neighbor's driveway really does give a sense of satisfaction! ;D
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!