iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planers

Started by JBS 181, June 13, 2009, 09:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS 181

Who makes a nice, small, industrial planer that I could also set up to run some tongue and groove.

beenthere

Baker Products might have what you are looking for. See left column as they are a sponsor.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jim blodgett

Milling tongue and groove is edge work you'd most likely do with vertical shaft tools like a router or shaper.

Planing is usually done with horizontal shaft tools like jointers and planers.

There ARE machines that do both (like four head planers/moulders) but they are serious tools.  Expensive.  Logosol sells one.

StorminN

TimberKing / Woodmaster makes a small planer / molder that you can attach two routers to the outfeed of, to do t&g patterns and others... three sided planing / molding, good stuff. Click on the TimberKing link on the top left side of this page, or go here: Woodmaster planer / molder

The Logosol is sold in the USA by Bailey's, their link is on the left, too (says "Lucas Mill"). I have a friend that owns a Logosol, he loves it... much more machine and much more money than the Woodmaster.

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

brdmkr

I have the Woodmaster (18" version).  I also have the single router attachement, so I can run 2 sides at once.  The cost between the single router and dual router is pretty substantial.  I have not really used the router attachment other than just playing around, but it is pretty simple to use once set up.  My thinking with one router is that I will set up the router when planing to final thickness.  The tongue will be cut on this pass.  I will then istall the back relief cutters in the molder and flip the board.  When the back relief is cut the groove will be cut as well.  I don't know how this will work in practice, but it seems to be a workable idea 'just playing'.  I will know soon.  The planer is well made and does a good job, but it may not be the machine for large runs.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

StorminN

I should have mentioned that we have a Woodmaster planer at work, set up to make shallow grooves in our snowboard wood cores... I'd have to do some math to get a good number – but over the years, we've probably run a couple of hundred thousand linear feet of wood through that planer, it's worked well for us...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Thank You Sponsors!