iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magnum Red Oak

Started by CCC4, November 15, 2014, 01:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Headlean mass towards a powerline, I asked my boss if we could just leave this tree due to it's size and I figured it wan't any good. He said if I didn't cut it he would have a trac hoe knock it over. I figured the tree desrved more respect than to be gouged by a trac hoe...so I cut it. Tree was 4 ft. ish on the stump...well 46"...close enough. Major heart rot and tree was moving right off the bat. Thanks for viewing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsi9tYkpYjc&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA

sprucebunny

Says the video is private ???

Thanks for your videos  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Southside

Got the same message, let us know when it gets un locked, I would like to see it.  How did you get around the power line lean issue?  I absolutely hate working near power lines, I swear they have some tree magnetic force to them. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

KyLogger

Yeah.....I waxed a fiber optic line last fall......not good. With a piddly little white oak that I knew was falling 90 degrees away from the lines. Till a combination of wind and heart rot took control of the situation. I remember throwing my hard hat down and screaming a few expletives.............then considering moving to Mexico ;)

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

CCC4

Sorry about that guys! I think it's good to go now.  :)

RunningRoot

So im not the only one to take out a power line ?  ;D :D ;D
I swear, the other tree wasn't there when I started cutting... But by the time I had cut the release on this one it was to late.. Caught its limb on another limb, spun it right into a 3 wire ...
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

CCC4

I cut around 60 off that line in 2 days...a lot of stress can be created. I free handed all but 8 and got my skidder OP to give me a push. The lean was just too risky to try and wedge...had a tail wind the entire strip. What's bad is I understand my position as faller, and I know my boss has tons of confidence in me...but he has a dang Hydro Ax he could have run through that strip and saved me a lot of stress!

One thing that I gain on a daily basis is experience...if you walk away from every tree that stirs you up...you will never be at the level of faller you can achieve. I didn't want to cut that tree because it was just a lost, the tree was pretty just standing there, but that was a clearcut and it was mt boss' land and timber so, ya do what ya gotta do.

MikeHup

redprospector

Must be chili in Arkansas, I'm not used to seeing you with sleeves.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Maine logger88

Under different circumstances cutting a tree that size is fun but not next too a powerline! Good job the Stihl sounded good!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

clww

I got several wires with a small tree up at the cabin two years ago. I should have pulled on the rope with my winch instead of attempting to do it by hand. Burned completely through two wires, set the brush beneath them on fire, knocked out power for several miles, etc..... smiley_furious3
Gotta be careful around them.   electricuted-smiley electricuted-smiley electricuted-smiley
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

g_man

I always enjoy your videos. I agree about the sleeves.

CCC4

Thanks Men! Yeh...even in the South, this Artic blast or whatever is bringing Winter early! It was 17* when I cut that tree that morning....oosh! In the past years you couldn't even hang a deer to chill this time of year! Crazy weather...right now I am getting a mean lightening storm with a Wintery mix...huge thunder boomers!

Southside

Guess I can't complain,  it was 18 here this morning.  The Franlkin sounded like the opening rumble of Van Halen's "Hot for teacher"
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Eddie Southgate

1997 Husqvarna 272xp 24"
1998 Husqvarna 136 12"-14"
2019 Stihl MS261 CM 16"-20" wearing an 18"
1966 ? Remington Super 754
2019 Stihl MS261CM  20"
Stihl 0041av 20"
Stihl 041av Electronic 20"
Stihl 044av
Stihl 056 Magnum II
1963 Ford 2000