iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Extension to bandmill

Started by Briankinley2004, March 10, 2018, 10:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briankinley2004

I extended my band mill using materials I had on hand. I should now be able to cut up to 36 foot long logs. I still need to add some dogs and backstops. Dont laugh at my construction. Everything was made using stuff I had on hand except the concrete footings.

Georgia088

Looks good to me!! What are you going to making with 36' long lumber? I'm interested in that project! Nice job!

Briankinley2004

Honestly I dont know. I built the shed over my mill and it made it difficult for me to cut 16' stuff as the shed got in the way of loading. I had some 20' angle laying around same thickness as the mill so I just made it that long. At least now I can roll the head out past the original mill and load a log. Realistically I probably won't be cutting much over 20' but if the opportunity arises I can cut  36

starmac

I like it, even longer would be nice. I know a couple of log house builders that have them stretched out to 50 feet.

The ability to cut long beams would be a plus in my opinion.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

bandmiller2

You have a long walk mate, perhaps next project is a power feed and overhead hoist to help turn. You did a good job. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Crossroads

I like the idea of having some extra rail to work with. Sometimes it's tricky to get a 20' log on a 21' mill. Looks like you did a nice job on the extension. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

firefighter ontheside

You could put three 8' logs on there at one time and save time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

Cut the log and put the flitches on the other end. :)  I like it.
I have a mill that can cut a 20 foot long. I have 4 feet of room with a 16 foot log,instead of inches. ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_bb

36 foot tie beams in a timberframe are not that unusual these days.  The tough part is being able move logs that long from the woods to a trailer, and then from the trailer onto the mill.  Well, maybe not as hard to do in pine, but in hardwood logs, like white oak, those will be awfully heavy logs.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Briankinley2004

Wont really need a trailer as I plan on cutting from my own land. I have a sky trac to load but a 36' white oak would have to be smaller diameter. I have room to add another 20' section of angle but right now I primarily extended to get 16-20' stuff on and because I had the materials laying around.I wanted to cut today but it rained. Have a church trip next week but soon as I get back I plan on trying her out

Wayniac

is your ground that unlevel or does your saw run down hill that much
wayniac

Crusarius

Make a lumber cart that fits on the rails. Offload the cut boards directly onto the cart then roll cart out of the shed for pickup. I don't know what you current handling is like but that seems like it would work well.

Briankinley2004

Quote from: Wayniac on March 12, 2018, 06:40:43 AM
is your ground that unlevel or does your saw run down hill that much
Sawmill rail is dead level all the way down. The ground slopes that much and that is actually one of the flatter areas on my property

Briankinley2004

Quote from: Crusarius on March 12, 2018, 12:37:19 PM
Make a lumber cart that fits on the rails. Offload the cut boards directly onto the cart then roll cart out of the shed for pickup. I don't know what you current handling is like but that seems like it would work well.
might be something for future plans. Right now I think the flitch idea presented would be a good way to save handling with my current set up

redbeard

Having the sky Trac your log handling options are endless. Your ability to set, remove and reset log and can't gently back on mill bed is the key to milling long. Also setting mutiple logs is on long track is very handy and being able to get mill head out of way is another big advantage having long track. Good job on your mill!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!