iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magic Bucks 2013

Started by Magicman, November 27, 2013, 07:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Marty and his two Sons went to the Cabin for this evening's hunt.

Ben hunted the "Strawfield" and got this nice 9 point.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Nice is a good word to use.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Magic Bucks is an understatement Magicman!
                                                                                            smiley_eek_dropjaw
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

In my neck of the woods, MAGIC BUCKS is a SCRATCH OFF TICKET.
I've never won a DanG thing.  >:(
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ken

Very nice looking buck.  How much did he dress?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Good to see a young fellow like that hunting.  How old do you think the buck was?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

m wood

Congratulations all around.  DINNER IS SERVED!
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

drobertson

Dandy Buck!  sound management looks to be in practice,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Tim, I am sure that he was 3½.  (the teeth will tell us for sure)

It's tough for any of us to let one like that walk.  Ben saw two other bucks together that he said were larger, but he could not get a clear shot at either of them.

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Texas Ranger

sounds like the boy has been well taught in the ethics of hunting

Quote from: Magicman on November 28, 2013, 08:45:38 AM
  Ben saw two other bucks together that he said were larger, but he could not get a clear shot at either of them.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Banjo picker

I would not have let him walk either....  ;D 

Lynn and I live in the great state of Mississippi as most of you know...question for the deer hunters .... should spike bucks be taken... Back when I was into reading out door mags. (Sports Afield and Field and Stream) the writers in the 70's were saying that a spike buck was an inferior animal and should be culled.  Thought in the day was that a buck of good genetic background as to antlers should be at least a 4 point on his first growth of antlers... I haven't read any thing related to this in probably 30 years... did they have it wrong back then or is our state still in the dark ages...?  Maybe I should have started a topic..  of its own.... Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I have no problem with spikes because most of them are this year's early born bucks.  Yes there are 1½ year old spikes, but we rarely see older "cow horn" spikes and when we do, it gets shot.

Shot.

Shot.

Shot.
Some may not have technically been legal, but they were taken out.  The flies in the management ointment are the does.  They carry genetics but there is no way to determine whether good or bad.

One of the best management tools that we use is limiting the total number of mature bucks taken.  One per hunter is enough.  We do not shoot the small bucks and take some does.

I often hear the remark about "well if I don't shoot him somebody else will".  My answer is that if you let him go, he "might" make it.  If you shoot, he didn't.  You've gotta give them a chance.

We do not weigh any of our kills.

terry f

If you are a kid, fill your tag. If you've been hunting a while, shoot what you think is inferior genetics for meat, or wait for a trophy. It doesn't do anyone any good to shoot a long tined 2 1\2 year old, you take him out of the gene pool, and he's a potential trophy in a year or three.

Magicman

The teeth showed Ben's buck to be 5½ years old.  That makes him a trophy in every way.   smiley_thumbsup

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

coalsmok

I have been trying to get the folks that hunt on our farm to let the young bucks go.  My brother in law got mad at me this year after he said "Im going to shoot a doe to can" and I told him no.
Before the area we farm was opened for doe season it was nothing to see twenty to thirty deer a evening, also was not that uncommon to see young bucks sparing in the fall.  Now if we see 10 deer its uncommon and I havent seen any sparing bucks for a couple years. Its hard to get it thru to some people though. :(

ET

Congrats!  Going to taste good indeed!  Have you got yours yet this year Lynn?
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Magicman

No, with Pat's back surgery, I have not even been in the woods.  Maybe she will be OK for both of us to hunt the second season.

You are correct coalsmok.  They can not grow if you kill them. 

Ron Scott

~Ron

Magicman

Not a buck and so far I do not have a picture, but a Granddaughter took a doe yesterday evening.  She said that the logging activity on my leased property has really affected the deer activity.  That plus the pre-rut activity is over.  It's the real thing now, and your chances of seeing bucks really diminish when they are hooked up with a receptive doe.

Hopefully Pat and I can spend the week at the Cabin next week.

thecfarm

Congrats to her. Deer hunting is over until next year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ET

Just get out their and enjoy yourself. With your luck id say its even money you will score a dandy indeed in no time! 
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Thank You Sponsors!