iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

home-made hydraulics

Started by pineywoods, October 24, 2009, 10:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Well, this topic hasn't been posted on in about 3 years, but it has some great info on it. Thank you to all who have contributed! I have a 1985 lt30 that will have a hydraulic log turner/clamp based on the plans from this thread.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

MSSawmill

Totally worth it! You won't be disappointed... Our "Pineywoods turner" has been a life, (and back), saver.
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

fishfighter

Quote from: Crossroads on July 04, 2016, 09:47:23 PM
Well, this topic hasn't been posted on in about 3 years, but it has some great info on it. Thank you to all who have contributed! I have a 1985 lt30 that will have a hydraulic log turner/clamp based on the plans from this thread.

Please do add some pictures of your build. In the near future, I will be adding them to my mill. ;D

pineywoods

I have no idea how many have been built since I posted the plans. The original is still in daily service on my wm lt40. Only problems are 1 busted hose and brushes in the electric motor. Do post pics....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Crossroads

I'll definitely post some pictures once I get started putting it on the mill! I have the diagonal cross bars that will need to be cut out and my 2 center boards fold down. I plan to remove them and weld in 2x8 box tube, then give all of the bed rails a 2" lift so I can cut within 2" of the bed. As is I have to flip the last 2x and 4x in order to make to last cut.

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Crossroads

A little update, the steel has been ordered to lift the bed rails and the log turner has been built. I just need to order the hydraulic components, which will probably happen next month. I have decided to power it with a gas engine since I can buy a 6.5 hp new from harbor freight for $119 and that would keep me mobile. I'm considering using a 2 stage pump. Is that what is typically used? Also, I have found welded cylinders with 8" and 14" stroke that have the same retracted length as the tie rod 6 and 12". Is there a down side to going this route other than not being able to rebuild them? Thanks for the input, Kevin

pineywoods

I seriously considered a gas  engine. Also tried a 2 stage pump with 2 hp electric. Too much pump. All the ones I built ultimately used a 3 or 4 gpm single stage pump. I used tie rod cylinders on mine, personal preference. Only failure of cylinders I have seen was a bent rod from dropping a big log on it (toe roller).
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Crossroads

Thanks pineywoods, I will have to mull over those options for the next couple weeks. The next update should come with pictures, if I can figure out how to post them.

paul case

Its about time to get this back to the top!

I havn't needed the turner clamp set up for a while now as I have sold out and got a woodmizer with hydraulics a long time ago. However I have been getting tired of the springs on the valve handles breaking and the motor  or pump or both going out on it and they are kinda pricey so with the info here I built a power pack to replace the pump and 12v motor on the old mill. Parts cost only $290 for the 3hp 220v motor and 4 gpm pump. Now we gots sum power and speed on them hydraulics! Yeah I also had to change the valves since the old ones were closed center but I had valves  so it was only a cost of time and fittings.

Works good for now. Thanks again Wayne.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Crossroads

I got some steel last week and fired up the torch and welder. Where the folding bed rails were in the center, I cut them out and welded in 2x6 rectangle tube then welded 2x2 box on top of all 4 bed rails and the 2 sliding supports on each end. Then extended the back supports up 3" and made a 45* angle on the leading edge so a log/can't would slide off while turning. Also welded 1/2" key stock on the bed rails in front of the back supports. I ended up knocking the keystock off though since it was 7/8" away from the back supports and wouldn't hold 1x material on edge square. Now I have welded 3" pieces of 2x2 so they are even with the back supports. I had a harbor freight 12v winch mounted on the tongue for loading logs, but it died after about 3 logs, so I replaced it with a hand winch that has been laying around my shed for years and it works great. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post pictures on here yet, I've tried.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Crossroads on August 01, 2016, 12:07:08 AM
... Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post pictures on here yet, I've tried.

The process is really not that hard. Basically it consists of first uploading the photo to your gallery here at the Forestry Forum and then inserting a link to the gallery file in the post.

You may not have seen the tutorial about the process, here's a link: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

Look forward to seeing more about what you're doing.

Herb

Crossroads

Thank you for the link Herb, I had done a search, but struck out.

Crossroads

Crossroads

I've been placing orders and receiving boxes from the ups driver the last few weeks. At this point I'm in about $1500 and am waiting for the 3/8" tubing, then I'll have the hoses made once everything else is in place. In the morning I'm going to start by extending the tongue by about 2' and mounting the 6.5 hp gas engine and pump on the tongue. Then I'll make the bracket to hold the valves and check out some options for the reservoir. Although I've bought the cylinders for the toe boards and back stops, I'm going to focus on getting the log turner up and running first, then I'll start on the toe boards. I ended up getting a 6 spool valve with the intention of eventually adding loading arms or a hydraulic winch. How big are you guys making your reservoirs? The standard is 3-5 times the pump flow, I don't think I'll be putting 33+ gallons on board to match the low pressure side of my pump.

CaseyK

Glad to here your project is progressing Crossroads. I just added a loader and unloader to my infeed deck last hitch home and am hoping to add back stops, clamps, and a turned this hitch home. (i work 28/28 offshore so everything is done in hitches, lol). I went with a 13hp gas engine from harbor freight, 1.0cu inch vane pump mounted directly to the engine, 3 spool open center valve, 2 tie rod cylinders 3.5x12" for the loader, single 2x10 on the unloader. All the hyd stuff was ordered from surplus center.
Home built automated twin blade

Ga Mtn Man

Crossroads-  Back when I added a second pump to my mill I ordered my hoses from a place down in FL.  Very good prices and good quality.  I think I can dig up the contact info if you're interested.  You can email a list to them for a quote.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Crossroads

Thanks caseyk, I spent the day installing the tongue, engine, valves and log turner main frame. Things should go pretty fast now, I just need the tube to come in.

Mtn man, that would be great if you happen across that info!

Crossroads

Crossroads

Crossroads

No pictures yet, but the hydraulic log turner is up and running! I bent the tubing and plumbed it in the dark last night and was able to test it out on a job today. The only real issue I had was the front of the top claw had about a 1" flat that I thought would work well for clamping cants, but it slid up the face of the log when trying to turn it. Fired up the torch and removed the flat area, now it works much better. Thank you for posting the plans for this project!!!!!

dgnorton

I'm considering an LT15 Wide. Anyone tried Pineywoods' log tuner / clamp on one of those? Wondering if it will work with the dimensions shown in the drawing from years ago. Also, anyone know what the dimensions of the main box beams are on an LT15 Wide and what the distance is between them? I'm working on a 3D model of it in Sketchup, which I'll post when it's finished.

Thanks

D6c

Quote from: Crossroads on August 01, 2016, 08:44:11 AM

Crossroads,
Your mill looks to be about the same vintage as my LT40 and you've done some of the same mods.  I raised the deck with 2 x 2 box tubing and added extensions to the back stops, although I made mine removable....they're 2 x 2 with a piece of 1 3/4 inside so they just drop down in the back-stops.

Been looking into add hydraulic to my saw and ran across this thread.....lots of ideas to consider.  I looked at a newer LT28 with the 2-axis clamp and would like to add one of those if I can get it to fit.  Along with an arm type turner it would make a new mill out of it.

D6c

Here's a pic of my mods...
To allow for full width risers on the center rails I bent a dog-leg in the clamp handle.  Clearance between the clamp and the blade guides is close when cutting thin boards but it's workable. 
I had to cut another notch in the round bar of the clamp so I could get the lowest position just under the blade guides.  I also drilled a hole in the bar for a roll pin as a bottom stop.  That way it keeps the clamp handle from wedging against the top of the rails if you let it drop down (very annoying).  I'll post a pic later to clarify that.

D6c

Here are the mods to the log clamp....bend in handle to clear deck lift, roll pin in round bar for a bottom stop, and an extra notch in vertical stops so it will lock in bottom position.

Crossroads

Looks good D6c, I had to do the same thing with the original log clamp. I like your idea for your backstop extensions. How long is your mill? Mine will only cut out to 16', that made things a bit more challenging, but doable.

Thank You Sponsors!