iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help! Looking for a sawmill

Started by mailman, February 14, 2017, 07:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailman

I'm in eastern Ohio and have 100 acres of woods. A lot of those trees are dead and dying Ash. I've always wanted to saw my own lumber and now looks like a prime opportunity.
I'm headed to Indianapolis this weekend to look at wood-mizers.
I cut most of the bigger ash 10 years ago before the ash borer was a problem, but I've got several hundred 14"-24" ash trees left that need turned into lumber and firewood soon.
I will be cutting and sawing on weekends most often as I work full time.
I'm thinking a 35 or 40 hydro Wood-mizer, but am looking for input. I'm also needing a plan for storing (or selling) 30-50k bf of ash. I have a nice size barn, and was thinking of building some open sheds to help air dry.
Thanks for any input.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

mailman

killamplanes

Keep in mind there's alot of good used sawmills out there. And if you want to get bigger in sawing you will then now what options and size mill to get. My2c free of charge
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

mailman

I have looked at one locally that was 22 years old and just a few thousand less than new ( 40 hyd). The other problem is I don't feel like I know enough about them to be sure I wasn't buying someone's problem. I'm all for finding a great used deal if its out there though.

TKehl

First welcome!  My wife does genealogy and a couple months ago had her report approved in regards to an ancestor being one of the founders of Zanesville.

On the mill... Wow, that's jumping in with both feet.  It's a big expense and I'm hearing and limited milling experience no predefined market for the lumber and building more barns to store it.  I hear working all weekend for the next year or two as well.  If that's what you want than go for it!  Otherwise, have you considered bringing a logger back out? 

I'm assuming you have a tractor or such to move logs and are comfortable felling the trees.

On a used mill, if they will demo for you, that is a good start. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

69bronco

You should consider how your going to treat bugs, with that much hardwood stored the ppbs. would have a feast!

mailman

Quote from: TKehl on February 15, 2017, 07:55:01 AM
First welcome!  My wife does genealogy and a couple months ago had her report approved in regards to an ancestor being one of the founders of Zanesville.

On the mill... Wow, that's jumping in with both feet.  It's a big expense and I'm hearing and limited milling experience no predefined market for the lumber and building more barns to store it.  I hear working all weekend for the next year or two as well.  If that's what you want than go for it!  Otherwise, have you considered bringing a logger back out? 

I'm assuming you have a tractor or such to move logs and are comfortable felling the trees.

On a used mill, if they will demo for you, that is a good start.

I'm comfortable felling trees and have a tractor and skid steer loader. I will probably look into a log arch as well.
I cut 15-20 cords of firewood a year and really hate cutting up these nice logs for firewood. The Ash would just be the starting point for me with a sawmill. I have a good bit of Walnut that needs to be cut as well, and I think it might be something I would enjoy after I retire as well.

mailman

Quote from: 69bronco on February 15, 2017, 08:28:37 AM
You should consider how your going to treat bugs, with that much hardwood stored the ppbs. would have a feast!

I didn't give much thought to bugs. I don't think there is a great market for Ash around here right now and was thinking I might hold onto it for awhile. Something to think about I guess.

tacks Y

Mailman, Take a look at Sawmill Exchange, Sawmill Trader, Woodmizer  also has a site with used machines. One of these had a Timber Harvester with a diesel, low hours in NY ( I would have looked at it but only 30" log) asking 22k would take 19 or less.

tacks Y

Sorry missed a good one look on the forum HERE under For Sale. Yes some WM owners are proud of their mill and ask to much but there are some good deals also. I talked to someone with a 2012 lt40HD diesel not super 24K now sold. I would start used, there are a lot of mills with low hours that do not get used.

Gundog

There was an LT40 on my local CL for 17.5K it did not last a day the add is gone now.

Darrel

I bought my LT40G24 for 10K 3 years ago off Craigslist and I know without a doubt that I sell it for 12 or 13k now, probably more.  My point is this. Find a good used mill and see if you like milling well enough to spend the extra for a new one. If you decide to upgrade to a new mill, you can recoup your initial investment plus a little more and use it as a down payment on the new mill and by that time you will have a pretty good idea what mill will meet your needs. When I upgrade, I will choose the LT40 Super with the new wide option. Although I do like the LT50 with the chain log turner.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

mailman

Thanks for all the info. You guys have me looking a little harder at used mills now.

Has anybody ever went to an open house at wood-mizer in Indianapolis? Do they have better deals than their advertised sale prices on line?
I talked with a saleperson the other day, and he said they were throwing in a box of blades with a purchase at the open house. I was hoping for a better break than that.

Darrel

When I was looking for a used sawmill I stumbled on this video and found it very useful. Hope you find it helpful too.

http://youtu.be/OcHVxATFvlc
1992 LT40HD

Callaway1702

Hi, hope to see you at Indy this weekend. I am planning on being there also. You'll have to decide if you want to wait for looking for a used machine. I bought a Lt 40 super diesel last year on the sawmill exchange. You can find some decent machines. Hope to see you there.

tacks Y

Mailman, There is also a dealer here in Pa who is VERY helpful to this site. May want to give him a call on prices?

pineywoods

Mailman, if you go looking at high time woodmizer lt40's I have rescued a couple of high time, well used machines from the scrap pile. If the frame ain't bent, restoration is not that difficult or expensive. The most expensive item would be a new diesel engine, gas engine swapout is a snap...The older machines used either a 18 hp briggs or an 18 hp onan. Parts for those are getting scarce. WM can provide an upgrade kit to a late model kohler..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Mikey H

Hi Mailman, the Open House at Wood-Mizer Indy on Saturday is going to be big.   We already have 120 guests registered for the 60 degree day so it might even feel like a carnival.  But there will be a lot of sawmills and plenty of things to watch and learn about.   Sounds like a good mill for you might  be an LT35HDG25.   We have a very slightly used one (110 hours) in Indy for $20,900, that's $2,640 below the current price as equipped with 4 hydraulic side supports and a debarker.  It can handle your ash and walnut logs with ease.  Look up Archey, Russell, Dave or Gary on Saturday and they'll help you out. 
Mike Hanlon
I work for Wood-Mizer in the Sales Department.  I am the Account Manager for 8 of our 15 US locations and I oversee the Christian Missions equipment discounts and donations.
mhanlon@woodmizer.com

mailman

Thanks for all the help everyone. Looks like a 4 hr drive in the morning to check out some new (and used I guess) WM's.
I'll report back.

Thanks,
Scott

mailman

Just got back from the WM open house. Things I learned (not so good)
1. Bands dull faster than I would have guessed. 2 to 4 hrs of sawing depending on wood type and conditions.
2. Bands can only be resharpened 2-4 times.
3. WM equipment is extremely pricey.
4. WM salespeople do not negotiate.
5. Non hydro mills are painfully slow.

Things I learned (good)
1. WM puts on a very informative open house.
2.WM equipment looks to be very well built.
3.From talking to several current WM owners WM is great with customer service.
4. Chain log rollers are pretty nice.

I went over thinking I was going to throw 20k down and drive home with a new 35HD. That didn't happen, but I really like the mills. I'm going to keep an eye out for newer used ones now I guess. I had a salesperson tell me their biggest competition was probably their used mills.

Darrel

What you learned is indeed fact with one major exception as far as I'm concerned.

I sharpen and set my own blades and I get more like 10-12 sharpenings per band. That being said, you have to understand that I sharpen lightly and change bands as soone as the teeth start to get the shine on their cutting edge.
1992 LT40HD

mailman

Quote from: Darrel on February 18, 2017, 06:22:21 PM
What you learned is indeed fact with one major exception as far as I'm concerned.

I sharpen and set my own blades and I get more like 10-12 sharpenings per band. That being said, you have to understand that I sharpen lightly and change bands as soone as the teeth start to get the shine on their cutting edge.

That is more like I expected, but I don't think the average owner operates like that. I talked to one fellow that runs them until the motor almost stalls out.

dgdrls

Always good to go and test drive and learn on your own,

Have you considered a swing mill or dimension mill??
both run circular blades and are easily transported,

take a look here FF Sponsor for a used options
https://www.sawmillexchange.com/

Best
D

thecfarm

Just saying,priced a 4x4 truck lately?  ::)   :o  A tractor?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!