iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CH TURNER circular sawmill

Started by IHSMOKE, March 04, 2017, 11:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IHSMOKE

i have found and possibly gona pick up a Turner circular saw mill with a 4,71 detriot power unit 42 foot track length need restoring to be able to use .....  anybody here have any infro on a Turner mill ....company was in Statesville NC .... sold to another company in pa in early 60s .... first post here ...been lurking and begining to like it IHSMOKE

Brian_Rhoad

bandmiller2

Welcome IHSMOKE, this mill will be a life changer you will never look at trees and wood the same again. Most older handset circular mills are very close in design and will last just short of forever. Your lucky you have a power unit with the mill, diesels are good power. Take your time restoring the mill and set it on a good foundation with a roof over it. There are volumes written on this forum and some knowledgeable folks. What do you have for a saw.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

IHSMOKE

well Frank C. i do not have a saw now at all it will be my first time with a saw mill ...always been fasinated with antique mills at shows and i got a deal on this one .......  qite possibly will be looking for a blade as it is missing now has not been ran in over 30 years ... trouble lies ahead i hope not in cranking the old detroit .... it is loose though .... but most inportantly  its all there !!!

Don P

The entry in CH Wendell's book shows a Turner New Pony sawmill with 42' of track  14' carriage 2 headblocks of 4" channel, intended for light tractor power, popular during the '30's

bandmiller2

IH, the head saw is a critical part of the mill and one of the more expensive parts. What I would do to find a saw is ask local sawyers who hammers(tensions) their saws. Most of the time hammer smiths have trade ins or know someone that wants to sell one. Be sure the bits and shanks are available and currently manufactured. A good hammer smith is your most important contact and source of advice. Frank C.

IHSMOKE

well DON P    you may have a good point there and hit the nail on the head but this one has 4 head blocks on it ....42 foot of track ..14 foot carriage ......  still thinkin ....

moodnacreek

The mandrel it's collars and bearings are more important then any other part of the mill. If this assembly is not right you will have nothing but trouble. Do this part right at any expense.  A saw mill that cuts straight lines and runs a cool saw all day is a pleasure  to own and operate . Good luck.

Darrel

As a band mill owner/operator, I love circle mills and wish I had one. Nearly 40 years ago, I worked at a mill that had a 72" saw with a 42" top saw and I loved watching that thing run.

Now you know everything I know about circle mills. Good luck and congratulations!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

bandmiller2

Darrel, nowhere is it written you could only have one mill. Ask around there are old circular mill laying fallow everywhere. They are work to bring back into production, but its nice work. Frank C.

bandmiller2

IHSMOKE, when you have a chance go to you tube and type in circular sawmills there are many clips with running mills, you can get a good idea how their set up and operated. Frank C.

Darrel

Frank C,  speaking of old mills laying fallow, check this out. I've been going to start this thread for a while now but your reply inspired me to get it done. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,95052.0.html
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

bandmiller2

Nikki, do you have the mill home yet?? or are you just in the planning stage. If the mill is set up in its original location be sure to take many pictures and measurements especially around the husk. If your not familiar with circular mills a pile of parts can be daunting. I have found setting up a mill can be over whelming if you look at everything at once. Take one part say a headblock and clean repair and paint it when complete move on to another small part. Before long you will have a mill ready for assembly. Ask us if you have problems. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!