iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LARGE maple for firewood

Started by celliott, June 25, 2010, 09:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celliott

A neighbor had a very large (4ft.+dbh) old sugar maple taken down by a tree service because it was a danger to his house.  He had the tree service leave the tree, and is giving it to us for firewood.  Free firewood, great 8)  thing is, the trunk of the tree, probably 12 feet long, split when it fell, leaving 2 pieces, about 1/3 and 2/3.  My problem is that the longest bar we have access to is a 20" on my husky 357, and the 20" doesnt reach all the way through the smaller piece, cutting from both sides, and the top.  Any ideas to  make this hard job a little bit easier? don't say buy a bigger saw, I already suggested that to Dad and he vetoed that  :-\  We thought maybe splitting pieces from the end if the block wouldnt pop apart with wedges.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Banjo picker

Make your cuts line up as best you can then cut a square hole out between the two of them and put a bottle jack in there and jack it apart.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

tyb525

celliot, good to see a younger member on here :)

If you make an end grain cut to the first crosscut that didn't make it all the way through, you should be able to cut a chunk out that way, and then that will open up room for deeper crosscuts.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

metalspinner

Split off the wood after you make your cross cuts.  After splitting off the wood, you can continue cross cutting from deeper in the log.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

John Woodworth

A larger saw is the only solution without creating yourself extra work and greif, haven't you a tool reanal you could rent one from or hire someone with a bigger saw to cut it up, shouldn't take that long and beings your getting the wood free would definatly be worth it.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Rick Alger

Split the log lengthwise by driving metal wedges down a seam.

Or buy a bigger bar and chain.

JohnG28

Id say get a bigger bar/chain.  The 357 will pull a 24" chain without much trouble.  It wont be fast as a bigger saw, but faster than hacking away at it a little at a time.  Should be able to get through it with 24".
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

jim blodgett

I'd say forget about cutting it up for firewood.  Roll that rascal into the bushes and forget about it for 5 years or so.  Let it spalt naturally.  I bet by 2015 you'll have a pretty valuable log, there.

celliott

I'm still working away at it.  I am liking the bottle jack idea, as well as wedges and splitting.  Just forgetting about them isnt gonna happen, its not a large property,(surrounded by fields) although it is on a back road.  I know its alot of work just for some firewood, but the property owner (a elderly man, WW2 vet)  had the tree service leave the tree there on the faith that we would cut it up for firewood.  It saved him about 400 bucks, and its a very kind gesture, so we are gonna get it cleaned up.  Just might take a while.  I do have an 18" bar for the saw, as well as the 20, and I wouldnt be too keen on buying a 24" bar just for this job.  The 20 is pushing the saw, and it really likes the 18 better.  I will be trying multiple methods, i'll let you know what works best for me.  Thanks again,
Chris
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

fishpharmer

Quote from: Banjo picker on June 25, 2010, 09:15:43 AM
Make your cuts line up as best you can then cut a square hole out between the two of them and put a bottle jack in there and jack it apart.  Tim

Kinda like this?  But with the square notch in the center (long wise) of the log.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIDLVhGN4eY
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Banjo picker

Thats pretty much it James...one of these days I'm gona learn that picture posting stuff. ;)   I had to look at that other video of the black power...lots of stuff in the background...they must of been pretty sure of themselves... :o  On some of the other power wedges i have seen those logs move a lot more...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

jim blodgett

Hey Fishpharmer -

I had to watch that video over and over because I enjoyed the music so much.  Would you mind telling me who that is?  That's beautiful.

Nice job splitting that log, too, by the way!

Thanks - Jim

fishpharmer

i honestly can't tell you anything about the tune.  It is one of those available on Youtube free to assign to videos.  I liked it too.l

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

donny hochstetler

just cut as deep as you can ,with whatever you got ,then take your saw,  draw a line across the end of the log , make sure this line is not beyond , or lower then the other cut , then , go back and cut this line about 4 in. deep ,take 3 or four steel wedges, spaced out evenly,  have your wife drive in these wedges, while you take a break  :D I have a 390 husky with 24 in. bar and I do this occasionaly, works great, good luck .

celliott

Quote from: donny hochstetler on June 26, 2010, 06:29:59 PM
just cut as deep as you can ,with whatever you got ,then take your saw,  draw a line across the end of the log , make sure this line is not beyond , or lower then the other cut , then , go back and cut this line about 4 in. deep ,take 3 or four steel wedges, spaced out evenly,  have your wife drive in these wedges, while you take a break  :D I have a 390 husky with 24 in. bar and I do this occasionaly, works great, good luck .

:D well, since I am 19 and lacking a wife, and my dad's got a bum shoulder right now, I wont get a break, I gotta drive the wedges.  ::)

I popped one piece apart with wedges, then the next one gave me trouble, ended up using a bottle jack and slowly got it apart. then the rain thwarted my cutting for the day. oh well, its not going anywhere. 
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

ljmathias

Celliot (interesting handle): welcome to the Forum and a word of advice- don't believe everything you hear here.  Some of the members are known to stretch the truth a little (see the section on lumber stretchers) and others are just not happy with a story unless they add their two-cents worth (as in embellishment, if you know what I mean).  So yes, this is a great place to get help, but sometimes the help isn't the right kind.   ;)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Banjo picker

I resemble that comment.... :D  but thats good stuff with the jack now...James even got a video... ;)  Tim

celliott

lj, my handle is simply the first letter of my first name (Christopher) tacked onto my last name. Figured it was pretty simple, and noone else had it!

Update on the log, I finished cutting through it today, I did try the wedges, and the jack on one piece.  Ended up getting all my wedges stuck without the piece coming apart, so I just finished the other cuts, as far as I could, then hooked a strap onto it and rolled it over with the F250, and simply finished my cuts.  Made things alot easier that way, shoulda thought of that in the first place  ::) now I got it all bucked up, just need to split it, thats gonna be a chore......
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

fishpharmer

You might consider renting a log splitter for a weekend.  Of course your young, forget the splitter ;).

celliott

We have a splitter (besides me, one that runs on gasoline) but it doesnt tilt to vertical, and I am not gonna bust my back lifting those chunks.  We do have a vertical splitter available to us to borrow though.  I am gonna work at it with the maul, and sledge+wedges.  Most of the pieces from the trunk look to have natural splits in them. I'll just take small pieces off the side, do what I can, then bring in the equipment.  I ain't no stranger to a splitting maul  8)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

fishpharmer

Magicman

Looks like you have successfully mastered the "old folks" way of handling a tough job.  Sometimes you just have to "worry it to death".  Nibble all of the way around it until the middle falls out.

I don't think that you are a stranger to hard work either.  Congratulations.  You will do well in life.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

timberjake

cut with the grain a few vertical passes, then do the same horizontal.  Then cross cut off the blocks.  Lots of extra sawing, but it'll save on the splitting and keep you from having to bull around huge blocks of wood.
"Never hire a man who doesn't wear suspenders and smokes.  If he ain't lighting a cigarette he's pullin up his pants."

Thank You Sponsors!