iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

opening week

Started by coxy, November 17, 2014, 06:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

of hunting season has any one got any pic they want to show off (big or small doe or buck) i like to see  youngsters with deer makes me think back to my first on 31/4 in spikes and was shaking like a dog crapping on a brier bush

stanwelch

My grandson Sam wanted to hunt with me this year. Opening morning he got his first deer -- a 9 point buck. Not a bad way to start

Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

sandhills

Not bad at all stan, I was hoping this thread would start up, didn't get a permit this year but love to see all the pics/hear the stories behind them, thanks coxy.

coxy

drobertson

Good buck whatever age the hunter is,, just wondering the law there on blaze orange requirements, some years ago they instituted a 400sqin minimum here, and do not allow the camo pattern vests. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ron Scott

~Ron

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

Our gun Deer Season opens Saturday and will be open in one form or the other through January 31st. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stanwelch

Drobertson,
     Michigan requires hunter Orange during gun season be visible from all sides. Camo patterns can be used but must have 50% of the area be open orange
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

drobertson

thanks, and that makes perfect sense to me,  I suppose there must have been a tragedy in the past resulting in the law makers changing our requirements.  they say it does not matter, the deer are color blind, but I'm sure not, the reflection off my glasses just about drives me crazy at times.  I'm sure that young man is still excited about his trophy!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

gspren

Opening day of PA Rifle season is Dec 1st which happens to be my birthday, guess what I want for my birthday?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

clww

Great looking deer for that youngster! :)
Opening for our rifle season started this past Saturday.
I got some ugly maples on the ground today, but I didn't get any photos. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

chain

On the down side, two deer hunters killed opening week-end in Missouri, another hunter shot hisself in leg trying to load his rifle.

One of the fatalities came from a deer blind heater explosion, the other fatality came from falling out of tree stand.

This cold weather is tough on folks, deer 'cabin blinds' and huts are a hot item right now. Warm-up and rain this next week-end.

coxy

that's to bad   I fell out of a tree stand once and only once will never go in one again     the next thing they will try to do is out law tree stands

Chuck White

Quote from: coxy on November 19, 2014, 09:50:36 AM
that's to bad   I fell out of a tree stand once and only once will never go in one again     the next thing they will try to do is out law tree stands

Kinda like the SafeAct!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WmFritz

Quote from: stanwelch on November 17, 2014, 07:51:08 PM
My grandson Sam wanted to hunt with me this year. Opening morning he got his first deer -- a 9 point buck. Not a bad way to start

You have to be a proud G-Pa, Stan.
I'll be watching for Sam on Michigan-Out-Of-Doors.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

coxy

I should read the posts a little closer ;D that is an awesome buck for the first one and yes you should be a proud pa pa   tell him next year it has to be 10point or bigger  :D :D :D

Swatson

That deer is awesome!  Especially for a first one.  I shot one this year and it was a freak of nature.  One long spike on one side and three points on the other.  They say inbreeding causes it.  They taste the same as the ones with nice antlers. ;D
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

beenthere

Opening day today, and this buck was following 3 deer past my stand about 50 minutes after opening bell.

A keeper. Came real close to getting a good shot at a big doe that was with the bunch, but passed.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

Beenthere, two nice looking deer(e). 8)

I think Sam has you beat ;) ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Lazy logger

I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

JohnM

Our opening day (gun) was the first of the month.  I got out opening morning for about 3hrs and again a week later for maybe 2hrs in the afternoon.  Got out today for about 20min.  ;D ;) :D

170# (field dressed) 6pt
Was still working my way into the woods with my climbing stand on my back, with my pack and cold weather clothes attached (it was 12° this moring).  Stopped for a sec, heard 'something', something was getting closer.  Knelt down, slowly slid the climber off my back.  He was headed right for me, new moon today and the rut is in full swing (smelly bugger).  He was behind a bunch of thick brush, I could see some movement but barely any of the body let alone antlers.  Then he stepped past the brush, I saw antlers and boom, dropped where he stood.  He was only 16yds from me. ;D

Oldest got his first lesson on gutting deer, not that he had a great teacher. :-[  Every time I go to do it I still never feel like I'm not doing it right, or at least not very quickly.  In my defense, it had been five years since the last one. :)   

Like BT we used the tractor bucket retrieval method, just like the one from 5yrs ago.  (just a different color bucket ;))

Good luck to those looking to fill their tags and congrats to those that have. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now thats a bucket full !  :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

That is the best way to do those big un's.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Congrats guys on successful opening day hunts and some nice bucks.  Maybe I should have shot, but our season goes for over two months.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnM

Quote from: Magicman on November 22, 2014, 09:59:15 PM
Congrats guys on successful opening day hunts and some nice bucks.  Maybe I should have shot, but our season goes for over two months.
MM, how many deer are you allowed to take per season?  Up here it's just one and you need to draw a permit for does if the district you're hunting has doe permits.  Mine is a bucks only district.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

RPowers

Took my 8yo out for her first hunt this year on our youth weekend (Nov 1&2). She shot the doe the second morning, and about 15 minutes later the buck came grunting down her trail and stopped in the same spot. Jade made perfect 15yd shots on both and the buck fell 30yds in front of us with the doe about 60yds farther into the woods. I think daddy was more excited even than she was! I told her she is spoiled because I hunted for about 4 years before I killed my first. She has helped me blood trail mine for several years now.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Magicman

QuoteMM, how many deer are you allowed to take per season?
Three bucks and five does.  I have a self imposed buck limit of one....sorta because culls don't count.  A second non cull buck had better be a whopper.  I would rather not get a buck than to limit myself out the first morning.

beenthere

That 8 yr old's smile is precious, to say the least. What a treat for "Dad".   8)
south central Wisconsin

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

Quote from: RPowers on November 22, 2014, 10:14:11 PM

Took my 8yo out for her first hunt this year on our youth weekend (Nov 1&2). She shot the doe the second morning, and about 15 minutes later the buck came grunting down her trail and stopped in the same spot. Jade made perfect 15yd shots on both and the buck fell 30yds in front of us with the doe about 60yds farther into the woods. I think daddy was more excited even than she was! I told her she is spoiled because I hunted for about 4 years before I killed my first. She has helped me blood trail mine for several years now.
that is wonderful    I wish ny would let the kids hunt that young legal  what they (NYstate) don't know wont hurt them :) :)

Ron Scott

~Ron

drobertson

Not my deer, but ones that are close to me

My Father in law's buck first one seen for 5 days, with piles on the camera.

drobertson

This is Wes' deer, his first one ever,

I kinda told him where to go ;D  but he really already knew. ;D

fishpharmer

Congrats to all of you that harvested a deer.  8) Great to see you folks getting the youngsters out there.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

coxy

all these deer are making me hungry    :)  the only ones I see are already dead  :'(

terry f

Always good to see pic's of the youngsters, when everything is a trophy.

goose63

Not mine wish it was my buddy finely got the wall hanger 

29 inch spired
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

terry f

Nice, big mule deer seem to be hard to find anymore, and that's a dandy.

coxy

do they taste like white tail deer (and don't say chicken ) :D :D :D

Chuck White

I've gotten Mule Deer when I was starioned in SD and yup, they do taste like White Tails.

Goose, that is a real nice Muley, congrats to your buddy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

goose63

I think thy are better than white tail
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Tom L

youth day here in NJ on saturday, took my nephew out for his first hunt, he just passed his hunter safety course first week of november, this buck comes in and he shoots it at 53 yards
first time out, first time in a tree stand, he is still smiling, 3 pointer

Chuck White

Good to see the younger generation getting involved in hunting.

Congratulations to all.

Magicman

Congrats on the nice Buck, and also Congrats on your 500th post here on the FF.   8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Teach your kids to hunt and never have to hunt your kids. Nice pic Tom.  :)

JohnM

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 26, 2014, 04:28:45 PM
Teach your kids to hunt and never have to hunt for (maybe? ??? hopefully! ;) :D) your kids. Nice pic Tom.  :)
Not sayin, just sayin. ;D  Grats to your nephew, Tom. :)

clww

Great pictures of all the youngster's deer. I still remember my first one. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Swatson

My daughter got her first deer Thanksgiving day just before sunset.  She got a big doe at about 50 yards which is impressive considering she had never shot the 270 before (gimme a break...only have 5 rounds left).  Had it hanging for a couple days and getting ready to hack it up and stick it in the freezer.  She is a happy camper.  We have a limit of 4, two bucks and two antlerless.

I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

fishpharmer

Tom L and Swatson, congratulations to your young hunters on their first successful harvest!! 8)
And congratulaions to you for raising responsible young people that can handle guns safely.  They are the future of hunting. 8)

beenthere

She does indeed look happy. smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin

Magicman

Congrats to the Daughter, Swatson.   smiley_thumbsup

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thank You Sponsors!