iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you guys shoot prairie dogs?

Started by Small Slick, February 19, 2015, 09:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Slick

We go to South Dakota and shoot prairie dogs every June for three years now. Where do you guys go?
John.

SwampDonkey

I think they are protected in Canada because they are at the extend of their range up this way.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

When I was stationed out in South Dakota, we used to hunt Prairie Dogs!

We used to go out, South of the Airport, and take Hwy 44, and go out around Farmingdale, towards the Badlands.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Grizzly

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 20, 2015, 05:16:20 AM
I think they are protected in Canada because they are at the extend of their range up this way.

Most ranchers out here in the prairies will supply all the ammo you need if you'll sit out in the pasture and knock off gophers (Richardson ground squirrel). From what I've read this is different than one species of prairie dog found in the grasslands park here in southern Saskatchewan. If you see a gopher out here...... GIT IT. So what I'm trying to say I guess is that the Richardson Ground Squirrel is not protected but the one in grasslands is.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

SwampDonkey

I think it's the black tailed one.

Something similar, only not colonizers is the ground hog, they are fair game, shadow or not. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

No dogs here. We have woodchucks and the coyotes keep those in check. I don't think I've seen a chuck hole in a hay field in 20 years.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tmarch

I've shot them with rifles, pistols and bows.  Now found a used vacuum truck used to suck them up, supposedly to transplant them, now that sounds like fun. :D
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Small Slick

So we go on the east side of South Dakota in the chamberlain area. I would be interested to know what other places and states might be good to look into.

SwampDonkey

Never saw a ground hog hole in a field either. They are in the brush, under a rock pile and often under a building. When they get under a building they have to go, post haste. ;D

goose63

I go to south west North Dakota know some rancher's thy have two rule's close the gate and don't miss
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

sandhills

Quote from: goose63 on February 21, 2015, 09:38:02 AM
I go to south west North Dakota know some rancher's thy have two rule's close the gate and don't miss
:D :D  My neighbors had a town just east of their house and couldn't get enough people to come shoot them to keep them in check.  2 years ago they started poisoning them and got rid of them, but every once in awhile a few will show up again, no idea where they're coming from.  The original ones showed up after a different neighbor poisoned the town he had, they thought it was neat having a few out there, didn't take long for them to expand over 20 or so acres.  I farm about 5 miles away and pulled into my field one day and there was one running up the trail in front of me, never saw one there before or since  ???.  It's amazing how fast they can expand and how bad they ruin things.
Another friend has a town on one of his places and told me one day a few years back during a drought we were having "to heck with farming, I'm going back to the hill and start mining lead"  :D.

justallan1

The ranch I work for in south east Montana has one town that's maybe 10-15 acres that we spend a little time on occasion and I doubt we'll ever win that battle without poison.

On a side note a few years back (sitting in the bar) a buddy of mine was telling me just how fast he could run when he was younger. He said he had the kids out shooting prairie dogs and the kids kept bugging him that they wanted to see what one looked like up close, so he tells the kids he'd try shooting one, hand one of the kids the shotgun and run up and grab the prairie dog before it could fall back in the hole. He says he found one real close, dumped both barrels at it, handed off the gun to his kid and run up and got the prairie dog by the neck just in time to catch both barrels right in the backside. Now that's fast folks.

Grizzly

Quote from: justallan1 on February 21, 2015, 02:29:50 PM
On a side note a few years back (sitting in the bar) a buddy of mine was telling me just how fast he could run when he was younger. He said he had the kids out shooting prairie dogs and the kids kept bugging him that they wanted to see what one looked like up close, so he tells the kids he'd try shooting one, hand one of the kids the shotgun and run up and grab the prairie dog before it could fall back in the hole. He says he found one real close, dumped both barrels at it, handed off the gun to his kid and run up and got the prairie dog by the neck just in time to catch both barrels right in the backside. Now that's fast folks.

:D :D :D  Paul Bunyon perhaps?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Small Slick

Quote from: Corley5 on February 21, 2015, 07:50:24 PM
Do they taste like chicken  ???

:D :D ;)

I have no idea what they taste like. However I bet the only thing they would be good for would be fajitas because the ones I have seen up close look just like shredded fajita meat, with some fur still on.

John

LeeB

I ain't ever seen one, let alone shot any.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

goose63

Quote from: Small Slick on February 22, 2015, 12:36:54 AM
Quote from: Corley5 on February 21, 2015, 07:50:24 PM
Do they taste like chicken  ???

:D :D ;)

I have no idea what they taste like. However I bet the only thing they would be good for would be fajitas because the ones I have seen up close look just like shredded fajita meat, with some fur still on.

when I hit them with my 120 grain hollow point from the 25-06 you don't even get much

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

curdog

I'd like to try it.  I shoot groundhogs around the house.
On a side note, we were on a fire dispatch in far west Texas a few years back. We were in the desert, the locals said it had not rained in almost a year. We had drove to this little town called marathon, hadn't seen any surface water in 6 hours of driving. And this guy had a fishing rod in the bed of the truck. I asked him about it, and he said they went prairie dog fishing. I asked him to explain. It appears you make a slip like cable, kinda noose like, and open the loop and place it around the opening to a prairie dog hole. String out the line and sit and wait. One sticks his head out and you would "set the hook". I never saw it in action, but I can only imagine what that would be like. I'm sure the line would break against the rocks and the cable would slip off, but for a second or three it would be on.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rooster 58

I used to enjoy shooting whistle pigs. I haven't done it for many years. I just got a beautiful Browning high wall in 25-06, and after working up some handloads;  I think I'll try to scare a few ;)

DDDfarmer

Groundhogs are shot when found.  Sometimes find them in a thick hay field with the swather.  Actually have put some past the conditioner rollers, they make the machine thump a little  ;D
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

thecfarm

I know nothing about them dogs. But woodchucks,been fighting them things for years. But way to find thier holes,a 6 foot cutter bar on a 1954 NAA Ford tractor. The wife mows the fields and keeps the grass down and them woodchucks are living in the stone walls and the woods. I lost my woodchuck dog a few years back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

When I was a kid, the 22LR was the tool and shots were limited to under 100 yards, now the 22 cal, the 20 cal and the 17 cal, the distance can be out to 500 yards and more!

When the centerfire 22 caliber rifles caught on, they pretty-much eliminated the woodchucks in this area.

It's rather unusual to see a woodchuck in this area now a days!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!