iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shop machines

Started by flibob, February 08, 2010, 02:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flibob

Does anybody know about what a Rockwell Delta 12" planer is worth?   It is from an old cabinet shop and has not been used is many years.  It is also HEAVY I could only rock it a little.  Appears to be 220v single phase.  Serial # 103-1021.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

beenthere

What does "could only rock it a little" mean? Indication of weight?  bearing wear? thickness adjuster wear?

Worth?  What ever value you put on it, is what it is worth to you.  :)

To me, it would be worth about $400 (sight unseen, and figuring bearings, blades, and clean up of surfaces).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

flibob

I should have been clearer.  The planer was setting on 1/4 inch or so wood shims and was so heavy I could only rock it a little. 

beenthere

Ok
By the way, welcome to the forum.
Are you going to drag that planer home?

It is a good planer especially if you have a 12" jointer (or even a 6 or 8" jointer) to go along with it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

flibob

I don't know what I am going to do.   They also had an entire shop full of good old equip.
Joiner, 3 big shapers, table saws, an old lathe back in the corner,  a couple of drawers full of shaper blades, the works.  I retired a couple of years ago (60) and always liked wood working.  Been thinking about buying the whole thing and going for it.

Larry

Welcome flibob.

Need a model number for the planer...older Rockwell/Delta machines were 13" while newer, imported from Brazil machines were 12" and larger...I think.  Is the motor on top?

Buying the whole shop is a great idea so long as you don't give to much.  A lot of the older machines will need a tune up to put them to work.  Bearings, belts, blades, and adjustment but when your done the machines are great.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

flibob

The serial #  was 103 1021.   I really did't get the size.  It could have been 13".  The motor was enclosed in the bottom.

Larry

Probably a 13" older model.  They are very desirable if in good condition.  One fault...the feed is with a brass worm screw which is subject to wear due to owner neglect.  Part no longer available.  There are workarounds.  In the wild and with no power to test I would offer $150.  Restored I've seen em sell 6-$700. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!