iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do I band a plywood table top with an Oak edge?

Started by D._Frederick, March 29, 2010, 09:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I am making some small table tops out of veneer plywood that I need to band with a 5/8 x 3/4 oak edge. Do I need to size the edging to the exact thickness of the veneer or use a router with with a flush cut bit?

I don't think I want to dry to sand it with 1/32 thick veneer.

Would using biscuits be worth while to help center the edging?

Have you found a better method?

WDH

I would put the oak band on with biscuits so that the two pieces are very closely aligned thereby minimizing sanding and making it less likely to sand through the surface veneer of the plywood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

low_48

I've never been too impressed with biscuits for alignment. The heads on most of the machines just have too much slop in them for real accuracy. I have better luck using a slot cutter on a router. I use an 1/8" cutter on the plywood, and cut the mating slot in the molding on the table saw. I would set the molding about a 64th or less above the plywood, then use a cabinet scraper to bring it to the plywood. I've even used a piece of paper under the scraper on the plywood side if the molding is too high. You just can't work that thin veneer at all.

sawwood

There is a match set of router bits for mounting hardwood stripd onto plywood. Most of
the router bit co have them. I have used the iron on oak strips and then used a chisel to
trim it to the plywood.

Lester
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Thank You Sponsors!