iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Official MS261CM vs 550XP test

Started by HolmenTree, June 06, 2017, 10:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelawhereJoe

I just went looking at a site selling Stihl down in Costa Rica and it looked like they were still selling the ms 051, is this true ? They had some other odd ducks like the ms 650 and ms 780 but a guess the ms 382 like the others is just a de-tuned saw. Old technology isn't always bad technology, its alot easier to change a carb and tune it with a screw driver in the middle of the jungle then it is to plug it into a computer.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

HolmenTree

If Joe indie could chime in here...I hear the MS382 which is sold in India, Australia and many other countries shares alot of parts from the MS460/461 on its 038 Mag/MS381 chassis.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DelawhereJoe

I was thinking more on the lines of a de-tuned ms 440 kinda like the 365 is a de-tuned 372xp

teakwood

the 382 is definitely a new design, the cylinder is leaned  backwards like the new 261C, 362, 462
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

Bought a new 361 ;D

We did a 300 mile road trip to a dealer who treats me well. Also visited some friends.

the new and the "old" (half year) MS361

the dealer wanted to start the saw but i told him that's ok because i didn't want him to put a gas mix in i didn't knew. I like to use my mix from the first pull to the last of the chainsaws life.
I regret it now ::), this morning i assembled the saw and after 20 pulls i didn't start. ok, check spark or fuel.
Found the spark cap bad assembled, no problem. fixed it and still no spark! ???

Opened the ignition module side cover, MODIFIED BY ADMIN, FAMILY SITE

Well, after 15 years in this country nothing astonishes me anymore. We all make mistakes. He still didn't read my messages because it's sunday in the morning but i hope he come thru and send me that part ASAP tomorrow.   

DelawhereJoe

teakwood

Tuesday at midday i had the part and the saw is running perfect.

olcowhand

Gents,
I've been a Lurker for quite a few years, and became a FF member a couple months ago. I've worked my way through a few longer threads, and this is a very interesting one.
I'm not a pro, but I spend almost every weekend in the woods cutting firewood and the occasional Grade Saw Log. I've been that type of Weekend Warrior since I was 14.
I worked my way through every type of "Homeowner" type saw since then (mainly focused on my perception of economic value). I finally bought the best saw I could afford in 2000- a Stihl 039. I experienced a few common problems with that saw (i.e. fuel tube leak), but all in all- a great saw.
Now (based on opinions I read here) I run a MS461 (that saw is a beast, but I wish I could hook up an auxiliary Bar oil pump).
I recently bought an MS211 to replace my MS170, and I'm not satisfied with that saw at all. I'm primarily looking for a saw that can conserve fuel and my energy when Limbing, Bucking and cutting smaller diameters.
I think I will get myself one of these MS211CMs.
Also, a word of acknowledgement and commendation to Willard and all the contributors to this and other threads that are giving advice and wisdom so freely. We all know you're doing it in the best interest of other FF members, and I can't say enough about the valuable words we all get here. Thanks.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

teakwood

Welcome to the FF.  Lots of knowledge here from real pros!!

HolmenTree

Yes welcome to FF 0lcowhand and thank you for the kind words.
I have been on many chainsaw and tree sites. But this site has always been my favorite.
Members here and newbies are as down to earth as anyone can get. It doesn't get any better then that :)

Spike60

Both Husky and Stihl sell a lot of "wish we could still get 'em" models in other markets. It's not just EPA type stuff, but some of the older, and "detuned" models that are produced are more tolerant of the lower quality fuels that are available in some parts of the world.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Spike60

Other thing I find comical is that in Europe and North America both companies like to brag about how "green" they are, but then they produce all of these older saws where there are no emission regulations.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

weimedog

Quote from: teakwood on February 11, 2018, 10:11:42 AM
Bought a new 361 ;D

We did a 300 mile road trip to a dealer who treats me well. Also visited some friends.

the new and the "old" (half year) MS361

the dealer wanted to start the saw but i told him that's ok because i didn't want him to put a gas mix in i didn't knew. I like to use my mix from the first pull to the last of the chainsaws life.
I regret it now ::), this morning i assembled the saw and after 20 pulls i didn't start. ok, check spark or fuel.
Found the spark cap bad assembled, no problem. fixed it and still no spark! ???

Opened the ignition module side cover, MODIFIED BY ADMIN, FAMILY SITE

Well, after 15 years in this country nothing astonishes me anymore. We all make mistakes. He still didn't read my messages because it's sunday in the morning but i hope he come thru and send me that part ASAP tomorrow.

Unfortunately a game of statistics. Happens to the very best. I had a ms170 given to me a few years ago..almost as a joke. Because it had been bounced around the repair shops and even though brand new...wouldn't run for more than a few seconds. (Certain it was a take back on a warranty deal in retrospect and used as a gaff to the FIRST in a long line of arrogant know it all fools....and I was the last in that line.) SO I did what everyone else probably had done...and could not figure it out either. I don't know why the last time I looked at it I wanted to see if the pulse hole was plugged.......before the manifold and carb. So I went looking to put a wire through it. But it wasn't there. :)

( A small drill fixed that saw)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Canadiana

The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

weimedog

Quote from: Canadiana on February 20, 2018, 01:45:12 AM
Never an impulse line? QC booboo?
They don't have lines...just holes.:) That one was missing one...
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

weimedog

What makes this the Official Test?  :)

HolmenTree

Quote from: weimedog on February 21, 2018, 04:55:54 PM
What makes this the Official Test?  :)
Well just finished another tiring but very full filling Northern Manitoba Trappers Festival Chainsaw Events.
New major sponsor and is a new Husqvarna dealer for the area.
They gave out 3 Husqvarna 450's for prizes along with 3 new 23 week of 2017  550XP's for the supplied saws in the Men's and women's speed cutting events.
Little saws were right out of the box and they performed excellent for the whole afternoon . Running semi chisel .325 and I was impressed.
 It was a cool breezy -25 below F windchill throughout the day and the Husqvarna's proved what they do best running in cold temperatures .

And darn it if I didn't bring my MS261CM to test against them...next year.

HolmenTree

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 21, 2018, 05:33:07 PM
Having problems posting pics????
I'm not. Put up a pic of some roasted cranks..no issue. I put together a "crush damage" customer 261..:) It's a nice little saw. It was new, maybe an hour of real run time before cosmetic catastrophe, Needed a lot of plastic. Handle, tank handle, covers, etc. Going to have a cameo in a few video's this year. Right now its out with a logger as a skidder saw. BUT it will be back. Have a 550 build going to happen too. Haven't decided yet if I will blend the two into the same video yet.

HolmenTree

I think I got the photo posting thing here figured out.
Here's the 1st 2nd and 3rd winners of the chainsaw carving event I also put on for the festival.
These guys carved these in 4 hours out of 24" diameter wood and the weather wasn't tropical.
Windchill was in the -25 below F most of the day.

HolmenTree

Stihl was the  preferred saw of most of the 7 carvers who participated.

cb_cutter

i run the 23rs chain on my 261 and i find it takes to much of a bite in the hardwoods. what do you think of the picco chain on yours? i absolutely love my 261 other wise. 
stihl 261cm 16" bar 23rs chain
husky 372xp (hardwood)
jonsered 2050 (blown up)
stihl ms390 (blown up)

HolmenTree

Welcome to FF cb_cutter .
Is that cb for Cape Breton?
Is that too much bite when the chain is brand new right out of the box or after you sharpen it?
I have no problem with the 23RS chain on the MS261CM in hardwood like birch, elm, ash . You have alot of sugar maple and red maple in Nova Scotia.
I really like the 63PS Picco on the 261. But I'm pretty well limited to 16" which is fine for the chain.

I have Windsor mini pro bar noses in Picco pitch but the trouble with these pro grade solid body bars is they are too thick when the Picco cutters are filed down small. 
I hear there are 18"-20" Picco laminated bars made by Stihl in 3003 mount but I have yet to find them.

cb_cutter

thanks and yes it is cape breton as well.

yes it is a new chain i find really grabby. its like you said once its filed down 1 or 2 times its not to bad. im mostly cutting small to madium size hard and softwood up here. i ran a ms390 for almost 10 years and then upgraded to the 261 last year. what a difference between the two saws. i love the weight and av system of the 261 way more.
stihl 261cm 16" bar 23rs chain
husky 372xp (hardwood)
jonsered 2050 (blown up)
stihl ms390 (blown up)

HolmenTree

Quote from: cb_cutter on March 04, 2018, 07:16:31 PM
thanks and yes it is cape breton as well.

yes it is a new chain i find really grabby. its like you said once its filed down 1 or 2 times its not to bad. im mostly cutting small to madium size hard and softwood up here. i ran a ms390 for almost 10 years and then upgraded to the 261 last year. what a difference between the two saws. i love the weight and av system of the 261 way more.
cb_cutter, I think you're talking about the 33RS standard 3/8" chain, not the .325 23RS .
Yes when the 33RS cutters are filed back to about 2/3 cutter length the MS261 really performs .
Two summers ago my family and I drove the whole Cabot Trail around the entire coast of Cape Breton Island.  
Beautiful country and coastline, I highly recommend the trip to everyone.

Thank You Sponsors!