iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

off road dump trailer

Started by 47sawdust, April 28, 2016, 12:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I'm looking to purchase a 2 or 4 ton ag type dump trailer to pull behind my tractor.The dump system would be powered by my tractor's remotes.Does anyone have any experience with one of these?Who makes a good one?Berkelman's welding in Southern Ontario makes a couple that would suit my needs but I don't know much about them.They also gave me a delivered price,$3200.00for the 2 ton,$4950.00 for the 4 ton.I would be pulling it with a 45 hp Kubota 4wd.
Thanks for your help.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

gspren

If your going to use it on much of a hill the 4 ton might be too much for that tractor.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WH_Conley

I have seen the Military surplus trailers around here go for from $900.00-1500.00. Actuator brakes. I don't know if they dump or not.
Bill

47sawdust

gspren,I think you are right about the 4ton being a little heavey.I can't afford to abuse my equipment and not interested in getting stuck with a load on.

WH,I came across a couple of those trailers you were talking about.They dump,sorta,but are a little heavey and high off the ground.Thanks for the suggestion.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Gearbox

I use a 5.5 X 10 grain wagon on 5 ton gear and have pulled it up and hills with a fergason 35 . not great 9600 ford is better . You need a front hitch for backing up unless you are better than me . I paid $ 600 for it.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

47sawdust

Gearbox,
I have 3 sets of wagon gear I use around the sawmill.Some days I can back pretty good others I have to hope no ones watching.My terrain is a little rough for a dump wagon but I saw a youtube video where a fella converted one to a dump trailer.Wheels are turning,that's a good thing.Thanks for the post.
Mick

Gearbox

My Bobcat with a hole in the bucket for the pin . I can back it in a 32 X 12 woodshed ok that way . I am lucky if I can get it in the door with the tractor .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

DelawhereJoe

Your L3750 is that a hydrostatic transmission or a standard transmission.  I had an old L2250 that would skid 22"x 45' green, white oak logs without any issues. It was slow going in low range but even in 4th gear low would pull without bogging it down. Theres also no hills here unless you count the landfills.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

okmulch

Here is what I use to move mulch up by the road. It has 8 foot sides. Can hold 45 yards mounded up. It's a big Tex dump trailer. 10 ton.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

sprucebunny

Here's a link to the Birkelman's
http://www.berkelmanswelding.on.ca/farm_dump_trailers.html

I had never seen those. Look pretty useful.

I've just used a road legal 5 ton dump ( deckover style) out on my trails for firewood but the tires are a little narrow and the metal isn't as thick. Wouldn't be too hard to find wheels that would take a fatter tire but the single axle is a little better for off road.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

peterpaul

Here is a picture of my dump tailer.  It is 4'x8' with 1' removable steel sides with stake pockets.  I made some 3' removable plywood sides to go on top of the steel sides.  I can easily haul a cord of wood, it has a walking beam axel with (2) double acting cylinders (powers up and down) and runs off my tractor hydraulics.  I have it set up so I can use it on my Kubota B9200, or my L4330.  It is made in Quebec and is top notch.  I don't know the mfg off hand and will try to get it as the tractor is on my other property. The walking beam with dual wheels makes the trailer very stable on rough terrain, a great advantage over a single axel trailer.  I brought it used off of CL for $800.00     

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

47sawdust

peterpaul,
That trailer would suit my needs as well.You sure bought it right.There are a lot of Mfg.across the border in Quebec and Ontario.I would be curious as to who made yours.
Thanks,Mick
Mick

Hilltop366

It depends what you are hauling all those videos show a trailer dumping dry gravel....

I bought a home made dump trailer, the biggest issue with mine is the dump angle, it's not enough with anything other than rocks or clear gravel, any clay or top soil or even firewood will not fully dump out without lots of moving the tractor back and forth and then even after that I will have to knock some stuff out with a stick  sometimes. It's rather frustrating so most times I end up just using the front bucket.

On the other hand I made a dump trailer for my uncle years ago and after a few trial and error modifications will dump within a few degrees to straight up and down way better for dumping.

peterpaul

I'm sorry, I did not get the mfg today but I will, perhaps tomorrow.  Regarding the dump angle, on mine, the angle is very steep, I have no problem dumping wet clay.  I'll get some additional pics as well.  I purchased it from a gentlemen who purchased it new, he said he paid around $2200 for it.  If it had brakes, you could pull it with an ATV, as it is, it will handle 4000# no problem, but you need to pull it with something that will not get pushed around, hence I use my L4330 when the terrain is less than ideal. The tailgate swings out, pivoting from the top.  It is removeable by removing bolts (pain), if it had a dump truck style dump gate would be better.  I could use pins with clips, just haven't got around to it yet.
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

John Mc

Peterpaul - that looks like just the trailer I'm looking for, depending on how wide it is. It looks a little like a CAM Woodsman trailer, but I haven;t seem those with the walking beam suspension.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

grassfed

Since you have a tractor you could look at old manure spreaders. Just turn of the beater bar and they unload in a pile.
Mike

Magicman

You just described several FF members that I know.   :D :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

snowstorm

if you have trouble with material sticking in the body a plastic linner  should take care of it.

47sawdust

peterpaul,
No worries on the trailer follow up.It is a Pronovost made in Quebec.Their web site gave me all the info I need.
Thanks,Mick
Mick

John Mc

My ideal trailer design would be:

• Dump trailer with good dump angle (at least 45˚, more would be better)
  • Dump cylinder could run off tractor hydraulics, option to run off a 12VDC hydraulic pump
  • 3-4000# capacity (easily handle 1/2 cord of green hardwood)
  • 4 ft wide (I could accept a little wider) x 8 ft long (a few extra inches would be nice, so I could haul 8' logs with a little trim on the ends on occasion)
  • Walking Arm suspension. Might consider other suspension or single axle if it was still good on rough terrain in the woods
  • Brakes (electric or surge? Is this even possible on walking arm suspension?)
  • Rugged and high enough ground clearance for work in the woods
  • Able to be used on secondary roads: typically shorter distances and slower speeds. Would like to be able to go at least 35 MPH when fully loaded. No need for highway speeds.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!