iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

COOKS AC36 use or New woodmizer lt35

Started by Hayseed, January 06, 2019, 07:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayseed

Hello I am new to the form. I have a small farm in Virginia. I have 100 acres of timber. I have helped on a old Frick circle mill most my 45 years of life. I am looking at a couple local sawmills to cut mostly for my personal use maybe sale some down the road. I have a friend willing to sale me his well maintained Cooks AC36 deisel with cat sharper. Has 700 hours, 04 model.  For about the same price that I can purchase almost  new woodmizer Lt35 with 40 hours. Any advice would be greatly appreciate.  I have some big mature timber I'd like to use for fencing, Sheds, Barn ....  Thanks Hayseed 

Hayseed

Sorry left out some information. Woodmizer lt35 has hydraulics and Mud Saw.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

What kind of engine does the WM have?

If it's diesel then it's a tossup, otherwise take the cooks.

Herb

WV Sawmiller

I hear very good things about the Cooks mills but I have not personally seen them in operation. I see good things about the WoodMizer LT35 hydraulic every time I fire mine up and have only good things to say about the WM team including the fact they offer a service loop every other year to help keep it in near new running condition.

I'd suggest you observe both in operation and compare the features offered on both. Good luck. I really doubt you go wrong with either.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hayseed

dgdrls

The AC36 is larger and has more capacity.  
Based on the age of the Cooks I would guess its not an emission regulated diesel which
many find a plus.
IMHO go with the Cooks, larger mill, support and supplies are on par with WM.

D

Hayseed

I am leaning towards the Cooks. I've seen it cut very heavy built machine. I like the drag back. I work by myself a lot. I haven't watched the woodmizer cut yet but it is bright orange and they have a good reputation. 

Greyhound

kelLOGg

Based on my 2002 model MP32, Cooks does make rugged machines. Still going strong.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Southside

Where about in Virginia are you?  One question you should compare is set up.  If you plan to move the mill much then the 35 will be more forgiving as far as where you set it up.  Both are good machines, the cooks has more hydraulic hoses and such so maintenance could be more costly depending on condition, etc.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

PAmizerman

I like the clamp system on my woodmizer. I use it to flip cants. Lift logs. It's serves more purposes than just a clamp. 

I do wish I had a chain turner though.
I like that all my controls and hydraulic levers are in close proximity compared to the cooks.

Like others said go run both then you will have a feel for which one you feel comfortable with.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Hayseed

I am just west of Roanoke.  Thanks everyone for the opinions. I am still not %100 either way.

WV Sawmiller

Hayseed,

If you want to watch and run an LT35HD I am about 104 miles from Roanoke and you are welcome to to come watch and try mine out. Bring your rubber boots as it's real muddy here right now.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hayseed

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 06, 2019, 10:21:04 PM
Hayseed,

If you want to watch and run an LT35HD I am about 104 miles from Roanoke and you are welcome to to come watch and try mine out. Bring your rubber boots as it's real muddy here right now.
Thanks for the offer. I know all about the mud :(

Chuck White

The Cooks sawmills are definitely heavy duty, well made machines!

The only drawback I have against the Cooks line of sawmills is that they are so tall!

I just wouldn't want that much mill, higher than my head!

Don't know how top-heavy they are, but in general the Wood-Mizers center of gravity is quite a bit lower!

I'm a mobile sawyer and get into some tippy trails, etc. with my mill, places where the Cooks would more likely tip!

I just like the Wood-Mizer, but then I'm biased because I own one! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Two Trax

I am new to milling, but on value issue, the Cooks hands down. If you are doing a lot of mobil sawing, the WM may have the edge.
Livin the dream!

Bandmill Bandit

The following is the link to a post I did for someone else in the same situation you find your self in at the moment.

The cooks mill is a good mill. However there are more than few things that make the woodmizer the much better choice of the 2 you have mentioned here. 

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=98681.msg1524363#msg1524363
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Hayseed

Thanks Y'all for the all the advice. I am still undecided. I think I'd be getting more for my money with Cook and it would be stationary. The woodmizer holds it's resale value. They both have great costumer service. 

4x4American

WMz has 10x better customer service hands down no comparison. 
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

The Cooks mill is a well built mill BUT the "heavy" has a lot more to do with the quality of steel and other products used in the building of their mill. They use good steel but mostly mild steel rather then the higher grades that Woodmizer uses.

"Heavy built" is rarely a good thing when it comes to machinery of any kind.

Quality built is 10X and more the better way to go.

Woodmizer is head and shoulders above any other band mill I have ever compared.

Wood mizer has no rival in the service and support category for sawmills. Not even a close second!    

As far as getting "more for your money", resale value is the ONLY true measure that enters the field on that count! Woodmizer is head and shoulders above ALL others.

How far away is your closest dealer?  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

redbeard

Iam not going too compare the Apple too the orange. Who's boots are shinner!
But the two Mills your looking at are like 10 yard dump truck  too a one ton truck. how much dirt you wanna haul all day.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Hayseed

I agree Red Beard. 
I guess the question is do I won't a older big dump dump truck or a small new one?

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on January 08, 2019, 11:44:47 AMHow far away is your closest dealer?  
For WM Jim Whitley and crew in Albermarle NC are 168 miles from Roanoke Va and Marty Parsons and team (Actual dealer for VA) are 268 miles away according to my range finder/GPS search. Both are real fine folks to deal with.
Howard Green

ronwood

If you want to be stationary and cut a lot of lumber the cook may be the better option with the diesel engine. LT35 would be easier to handle if you are mobile. I think that you would have to have a LT40 super or larger to compete in quantity sawed with the cook.   Some think that the 4 post is superior design. I not had any issue with my LT40HG25 has long has the blades are sharp and mill is maintained. Any mill out there will cut good lumber if properly taken care of

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

SawyerTed

Hydraulics speed is another factor to consider.  The WM LT35 doesn't set speed records with the hydraulics.  I do not know about the Cook's.  You should look at both.  This is an improvement I'd like to make on the LT35.  Jumping to the LT40 Super is a big jump in price for the speedier hydraulics.

I really like my LT35 but a drag back would be an asset if you work alone.  A drag back isn't an option on the LT35.  I work alone a lot. Again, the next model up is a big price leap for drag back.

You mentioned large timber.  A 32" diameter log is a big log but that's the published max log size for the LT35.  I've managed 36" diameter by doing a good bit of "whittling."  Comparing diameter capacity of the two sawmills relative to the log size you need to cut consistently will be important.

Wood Mizer is the industry leader for several reasons, one is they build a high quality product. I'm sure Cook's builds an excellent product but I have no direct experience.u
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!