iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fish

Started by ely, February 02, 2011, 04:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Quote from: Jeff on February 07, 2011, 11:04:04 AM
My mom's favorite fish to eat was the lowly bullhead.

My Mom's too especially in the spring when they first come out of the mud all nice and hungry. I'm not sure what the difference is between bullhead and small catfish.

Up north my favorite would be walleye. Here it's Hogfish.

We have drum in salt water too. Look very much the same as the OP's pix. Never ate one though.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I ate "White Fish" when visiting the U.P. a few years back.  I don't know what kind of  fish that is, but it was very good.   (Don't tell fishpharmer)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

Much depends on the water quality the fish has been living in for taste. I remember catching a 3# walleye 1st thing after ice out. I put it in my live well drove back to the campsite, filleted it, breaded it and ate it. Very tasty.

A few years back I caught a nice catfish in the middle of summer on a lake north of Des Moines. I did the same with it, took one bite and threw it out.  :D

Tom

QuoteI ate "White Fish" when visiting the U.P. a few years back.

I don't think you can say that down here, magicman.  :D

Magicman

I do know that I didn't know what I was ordering/getting.  I just took a chance.  Kinda like ordering a pastie.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

You mean, a potato sandwich?

Just Me

Quote from: Magicman on February 07, 2011, 03:22:49 PM
I ate "White Fish" when visiting the U.P. a few years back.  I don't know what kind of  fish that is, but it was very good.   (Don't tell fishpharmer)

Here you go....http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364_18958-45680--,00.html

White fish is a term used in the fisheries industry for lighter filets, but it also a specific fish here in the great lakes. If it was here, it was the real McCoy, kind of like Michigan's Lobster.

SPIKER

I've ate just about every kind of fresh water fish, even had CARP & SUCKERS, though fresh water drum (AKA Sheep Head) naw I am afraid to toss them things in the garden from fear of "slime disease" growing in there.!   Bull heads are great usually hard to get one much over 10" they are often called "yellow bellies" here used to catch a bunch from under our park river bridge, it was laid up lime stone blocks about 6' long and 4' high by?? deep.   we would crawl under the road deck drop a line/worm down (maybe 15') to between the cut blocks (gaped about 2 ~4")  wait 2 or 3 seconds and one would bite.   weeks on end we would go back & catch 2 or 3 of em 10~12" long skinned out about 3/4 lbs as they were really fat from craw fish & minnows.   they were the best eating early spring after july the creek flow would drop and it was easy to fish em out/down.   They were smart enough to know to watch for people under the bridge too as you could drop a line in while wading and they would not bite.   climb  up under the road deck and catch 10 in a row still with water running off your pants :D

I like Small Mouth out of Lake Erie & Black River (up stream of all the rail road crashes)   as they stay deep in cold water even later in summer they are still firm & tasty.   Rock Bass are OK too if caught early.   We used to catch a lot of white fish/white bass out of lake erie early spring watch for the seagulls diving as the white fish/white bass would be pushing up a school of emeralds pre-spawn and toss in a FOXY MINNOW jig and nail them as fast as you can catch.  then they run for deep after filling up and or wiping out the school of minnows.   We brought home a lot of them when fishing for walleye.  see the birds then troll after them cast to the white fish until ya got a bunch.  then back to walleye and or small mouth fishing.    That is what my brother & I were doing when my sister passed. we hardly gone fishing since then & now this fall he passed so I lost my fishing buddy :( :'(   I took my nephew fishing 2 times once was to spread some of his ashes in one of our favorite fishing holes, something he would have loved...   Kind of lost my heart for fishing now. :-[ :(

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

sandhills

Spiker I'm very sorry to here about your brother, I don't know anything of your personal situation but I'd take that nephew out every chance you get, who knows it might do a lot of good for both of you, for some reason fishing seems to do that, and at least me, I'd want my buddies catching one for me every now and again.

doctorb

Echoing Sandhills sentiments.  Get back out there and do something your nephew and your brother would both appreciate.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

I accompanied my only Brother on his last two Colorado hunts.  We both knew that each might be his last.  My Son goes with me now.  Who knows, each may very well be our last one together, but we have no intention of not going.

I carry my Brother's memory with me on every trip, and the memory of those special times together will never die.

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on February 07, 2011, 03:22:49 PM

Whitefish is not a color, it is a species.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!