iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 391

Started by uplander, August 24, 2015, 10:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplander

At the used outdoor power equipment shop I bought a lightly used MS 391 on Friday.
Dickered them down to 340.00 dollars.

20" bar, decent chain on it. Runs well after trying it.

How did I do?

Anyone know the factory settings for the carburetor? Seems to idle a little fast.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

beenthere

Time will tell how you did. No way we could answer the question "how'd I do" without running the saw.

Myself, I don't try to "dicker" on a product that I may find something wrong, as after dickering I think I'm going to own any problems.
If I don't dicker, then if any major problem I'll just take back to the seller.

Wish you well with the saw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hitchcock Woods

We have a MS 391 and it is a great power/weight +60cc saw.  You got it for about $200 less than brand new.  It's hard to say how well you did because i haven't personally laid eyes on it.  If you take the spark plug off and look at the top of the piston with a flashlight, you can tell what kind of wear the saw has seen.  As for carb adjusting, i wouldn't mess with it too much.  You could make the saw run too lean and screw up your power head.
Chain Saws         Vehicles            LogSplitter
MS 192TC          6100D x2     TimberWolf TW3
MS 391               L2800
MS 441              HPX Gator
346XP           Honda4x4 Rancher
372XP              4x4 Frontier
HT 101 x2
MS 311

TurtleWoods72

Hi, first post on this fine forum for me.

I'm in England, and have just purchased this saw to compliment my collection. It's not even seen wood yet as I've been busy on other jobs since buying it.

The general selling price here (due to our extortionate 20% tax) is between £545 and £650, depending on how much the dealer discounts it. This is Great British Pounds, not Euros or Dollars, so look inline for a conversion. List price for this saw here is a around £685 upwards, depending on the bar size.  :-\

However, and here's the fun part, I paid a lot less.

I was languishing in the bath, farting about in the old ipad, when I strayed onto a 'small ads' site. Ended up finding a brand new, boxed, official UK dealer supplied, German built MS391 for £350!

Drove the 50 miles to pick it up the next day and handed over the cash.

Turns out a widow had been burgled and the insurance had replaced like for like, brand new!

Since her husband had passed away she had no need for the saw, but the cash would buy some nice lady goodies!   ???

It's a heavy lump, but that really appeals to me, as I'm not scared of a bit of heft. This weekend I'll be burying it into a half tonne of oak that needs sawing up and splitting.  8)

I'll report back with my findings, and how it compares to my other saws.

TurtleWoods72

smiley_peace

Just thought I'd add...

This saw is not very well thought of on the UK forestry forums. Most are professional arborists who favour fast, light saws. The clamshell design and heavy weight are a real turn-off to these chaps.

Personally I have better built saws, but wanted to own a good old chunk of Stihl Farm-Boss Magic!

smiley_chinese

Thank You Sponsors!