iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydro ax questions?

Started by Mainelogging94, November 30, 2013, 07:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mainelogging94

Hello I am a new member on this forum, I am interested in buying a hydro ax within the next few years. I have a few questions regarding how well they get around with/without chains, with my experience running cable skidders I know that they do not get around well at all without them, and I don't want to buy an ax without them if they don't get around well. I also would prefer a saw head, but would like some other peoples input on how well shear heads or bar saw heads work? Any information would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

CCC4

I guess it would depend on what kind of ground you are on. I haven't seen a Hydro Ax with chains operate before so I can't say much about that...but good tires is always a plus. Hydro Ax's are very front heavy and if a skidder will go down a little bit in wet conditions...a Hydro Ax will bury, I actually don't think chains would have helped much when they fall under bottomless ground.

Sounds to me like you might try checking out a Bell feller buncher with a dangle head hot saw, with chains they get around pretty darn good. Not to mention that with a 38" bar, they can cut bigger timber in one pass to where a Hydro Ax with 29" throat has to hit from two sides on big timber.

disclaimer...just my .02 worth and I failed to stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Kemper

I run a Tigercat 726 which I think would be heavier than most hydro ax and I have never used chains. You need decent tires and be smart with how you run it. We don't work when it's raining or in swamps. We don't run chains on our grapple skidders either, never needed them. Location makes a difference.

When buying a cutter if it has chains or not should be the least of your worries. I prefer a disc head and everyone I've ever met who runs one does, but you have to know how to look for things around the head before you buy.

Quote from: Mainelogging94 on November 30, 2013, 07:47:56 PM
Hello I am a new member on this forum, I am interested in buying a hydro ax within the next few years. I have a few questions regarding how well they get around with/without chains, with my experience running cable skidders I know that they do not get around well at all without them, and I don't want to buy an ax without them if they don't get around well. I also would prefer a saw head, but would like some other peoples input on how well shear heads or bar saw heads work? Any information would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

thecfarm

Mainelogging94.welcome to the forum.
Maine? What's the name of your company?
Here's a thread that you will like. Add a few pictures of the equipment you have.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13313.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mainelogging94

Hey thanks for all the help guys hopefully I can find a machine that will work good for me. If any body knows of one for sale in Maine let me know.

Maine logger88

Ccc4 what's with the holiday inn thing I have seen that a few times did I miss something. Sorry ml94 for highjacking your thread
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

celliott

He's in Maine, lots of snow, ice in the winter-time, busy season. I think chains on any rubber tired machine would be necessary in the snow.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Mainelogging94

Yah we usually are in snow on steep going, most of our lots are rough terrain/ I think at least chains on the front I would want.

Firewoodjoe

We're running two 670s. We run chains on the front and sometime all 4. We cut steep snow and swamp. They are heavy but I think there just as well as a skidder. We grapple and if it gets cut it gets drug. Always. Chains are a must on anything in snow. IMO

gwilson

I run a old 411B Hydro Ax with a 18'' hardwood shear head. It has seen a lot of wear over the years but cuts well. Sure beats a chainsaw in small diameter pulpwood and makes it a lot easier to skid with a grapple skidder.

Thank You Sponsors!