iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer visit. (Yet another customer visit..)

Started by Bibbyman, May 16, 2012, 09:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

We like to get out and visit with some customers – especially ones that make good customers. 

We had sawn stuff out for Larry for over a year.  He's now retired and crafts rustic furniture and other novel items.  About a year ago he inherited a good size farm that was along the main highway.  In fact, the new dual-lane highway cut the farm in half.  He has built a new building for his craft work with indoor and outdoor showroom.

Today we took him 8 wide cedar flitches 1-1/2" thick with one live edge.  He uses them to make rustic benches.  We cut them out of one 12' cedar log. Says he can't keep them in stock.

We also dug an odd walnut log out of the firewood pile and split out two 1-1/2" flitches out of the middle.  It also made two heavy slabs.

Larry and Mary talking over what he may make out of the walnut flitces we sawed out of an "irregular" shaped log.  He was excited but said he was going to sleep on it a while before coming up with the right use for it.

The front porch of his building is an outdoor display area.  We sawed out all the cedar.

Here is a hickory bed frame in his showroom.  Above the door is a bow made of osage orange.  He also made the arrows out of cane.  There is another bow leaning in the right corner.  In the left corner is an old lighting rod.  The live edge siding is hickory we sawed.  He used it in a number of places for trim.

Larry made these cedar kitchen cabinets that are functional in his showroom.  The novel drawer pulls and knobs are made of deer antler.

Old tool collection on the hickory siding.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

It is always interesting to see what some folks will do with different ideas.   :)  Looks like he is a master of design.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

That's just pretty dern neat
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Tree Feller

Love that Cedar siding on his building.

The Walnut looks like it had metal in it.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Bibbyman

Quote from: Tree Feller on May 16, 2012, 10:14:25 PM

The Walnut looks like it had metal in it.

Yep.  Metal.  We didn't even find it until we unloaded it. I just sliced the top slab off and flipped it 180 and made two slices.
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

Nice place he has there.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Jemclimber

lt15

Cedarman

Cedar is such a beautiful wood, I just love it.
And with guys like Larry that can make the most marvelous items, it brings out even more of its beauty.
I hope you and Mary make a few more trips and keep us posted on the neat stuff that will fill his shop.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bibbyman

I needed to take more pictures.   He has a cedar board fence about 5' tall with cap board and X bracing that runs at least a 100 yards in front of the place.  The gates are cedar with 8x8 cedar posts holding them up.  The whole mess is clear coated like the front of the building.  Quite a spectacle from the high way.

Here are some more of Larry's projects.

A view of the top section of the hat rack.  The diamond willow pole came back with him from an Alaskan fishing trip.

A view of the base of the hat rack made of diamond willow and deer antlers.  There is some kind of burl growth on a stick.   

A slab table made of elm.  This one has three hearts.  He said he has 27 slabs out of the same log left.  He got it from a yard where the owner had it cut down and removed – except for the log that weighed some 7500 lbs.  He asked for it and got it.  At the time, he didn't know it was elm.

Another view of the front porch.  Looks like Mary's on the phone.

Another view of the kitchen cabinets.

That's all the pictures that I took.  There were other projects in progress in his shop and other things he told about but didn't have a sample to show.

One thing I thought I got a picture of but apparently didn't was his pet coffins and ashes urns that was setting on a side table he'd made. 
Sawing since '94

JV

Great pics.  Some people are really talented.  I don't seem to have the imagination.  I always enjoy talking to people with this kind of talent.  Thanks for the post.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

bedway

Im with JV on this. I can create or build anything but lack the vision and imagination. Great looking projects.

clww

Thanks for sharing these great pictures, Bibby!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ronnie

That cedar siding sure is beautiful. I am in the process of siding my sawmill shed with it and am also going to build a few decks. I wonder what type of clear coat he used to keep the color in the cedar. Bibbyman did the fence he built also retain some of its red? Does anyone have any ideas how to keep cedar from washing out in outdoor applications. The front of my shed is just a few months old and it has lost all it's red.
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Ronnie on May 17, 2012, 11:48:21 AM
That cedar siding sure is beautiful. I am in the process of siding my sawmill shed with it and am also going to build a few decks. I wonder what type of clear coat he used to keep the color in the cedar. Bibbyman did the fence he built also retain some of its red? Does anyone have any ideas how to keep cedar from washing out in outdoor applications. The front of my shed is just a few months old and it has lost all it's red.

I didn't ask and didn't get the exact product he used. He did talk about polyurethane and UV protection.  I think the outside of the building is at least a year old - maybe as much as three.  The porch was added not long ago.  You can see some color change.  The fence looks about the same as the gable end of the building.  Holds up better than I expected it would.
Sawing since '94

hackberry jake

I made a sample board to try out different finishs about a week ago. Sparurethane, diesel, clear stain, light red cherry stain, and different mixtures of the bases. I'm hoping diesel works as the base. At $4 a gallon, it's still a bargin as far as finishes go. It's probably not very viable as a long term solution because of the environmental concern tho.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Tree Feller

Quote from: Ronnie on May 17, 2012, 11:48:21 AM
Does anyone have any ideas how to keep cedar from washing out in outdoor applications.

I've found that a couple applications of Boiled Linseed Oil followed by multiple coats of a UV blocking varnish will help retain the color of ERC longer. I use Epifanes clear gloss varnish on my ERC outtdoor furniture. However, it would be very expensive to use on a building or a fence. There, I would probably use something like Helmsmans spar varnish but apply it per the Epifanes schedule...7 coats.

It will still eventually turn brown after a few years.  I know of nothing that will permanently retain that red color outdoors.

Thanks for the additional pics, Bibbyman.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Larry

Quote from: Tree Feller on May 18, 2012, 08:26:02 AM
I know of nothing that will permanently retain that red color outdoors.

I sell to a couple of fellows that build bench type stuff for the craft fairs around here.  They've told me they use a red cherry stain first, than top coat with poly.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Tree Feller on May 18, 2012, 08:26:02 AM
It will still eventually turn brown after a few years.  I know of nothing that will permanently retain that red color outdoors.

I don't even know of anything that will retain the red color indoors. Eventually, it wide fade to brown. Takes a lot longer indoors than it does outdoors, but it doesn't bother me - I like it anyway!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Bibbyman

Mary took only one picture when we visited Larry.  It was in the bathroom - also trimmed out in Cedar.  She liked the fish under the sink.  Yes,  the bathroom was tricked out with cadar stuff too!

We had to take a trip to Hermann, Missouri this morning for two reasons.  Mary wanted to eat some German food and we have some of our product used there.

Here is a long shot of an old feed mill in Hermann, Missouri on highway 100.  They have renovated it and will open soon as a sausage and cheese factory.  It looks like they're set up with a large dinning area on the first floor and outdoor seating.  We sawed out the 10x10 post and some other structural parts.

Here are the 10x10 beams and some other structural parts.

From another angle.

Here is the heavy planking we sawed out that was used to replace damaged boards in the scales.  Boards further under the cover were kept.

The business was not open so we couldn't look inside.  I don't know what else we sawed out that went into this building. We sawed the beams and boards for a middle man that has an up-start lumber yard in the area.  We have supplied him with heavy timbers for several other restoration projects in the area.
Sawing since '94

jwillett2009

Its gotta be pretty cool being able to drive though a town and see your "fingerprint" on so many things.....
60 acre woodlot, 455 rancher husqavarna, MS660 stihl, 196? Massey ferguson farm tractor with three point hitch, Granberg Mark III Alaskan CSM, Sierra 1500

Magicman

It is nice to see the fruits of your labors.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bibbyman

What's most rezacravating is that in the 18 years we've owned a mill we've not got around to doing very much in the way of our own projects.  We have sawn out the lumber for the sawmill shed and addition and board on board sided the house and made a few small crude items of necessity.  But nothing we can point to and someone would go, "WOW!".   
Sawing since '94

pnyberg

It was always thus... The cobbler's children have no shoes.

--Peter
No longer milling

customsawyer

Some mechanics have the worst running trucks. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

LAZERDAN

rezacravating
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

????             Maybe it's just me                    Lazerdan

Thank You Sponsors!