iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BUZZ needs advice on car?!?!?

Started by Buzz-sawyer, August 28, 2005, 05:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz-sawyer

I have a 1991 ford /mercury    topaz/tempo.....2.3 litre.......My daughter has it for getting to school she is OFF_BEAR_ERR from the forum.(she is the one who needs help!)

I recently had trouble ....and did a tune up , but it persisted in running ruff, well I had collected a spare tempo, so I switched out the electronic contol module.........AND IT RAN GREAT.....for 2 weeks

then it ran slugish and would not start again .

I have looked through it and am thinking ECM again.........
WHAT component failure on the engine is usually (or possibly) the one causing it to get fried..............the voltage regulator, temp sensor...........I need some ideas befor slaping another in .they aint exactly cheap.....

Has anyone out there had similair problems .......HELP :o ;) :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

woodbeard

Maybe try pulling the box out again, and putting it back in again, just to check if it's a bad connection, or ground that is getting rattled around. Maybe not, but at least it won't cost anything. ;D

Buzz-sawyer

Actually .I pulled it and put the bad on in ..and it tried to start....kinda confirmed my suspicions....then re connected ...nothing.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Lenny_M

My son had a 87 topaz. Wouldn`t start.  It had spark and turned ok.
Gave it a shot of gas in the intake started and ran fine.
Changed the Throttle positioning valve And was ok.
We were also thinking control module.

Ironwood

Grounds have been a nemisis in the past on control modules. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Buzz-sawyer

The engine wont run with fuel added or either...........
The chasis of the ecm is not grounded on this model.......
Any other ideas tonight?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

DanG

Bad ground sounds like the most reasonable guess, but check the alternator.  Linda used to drive an old Dodge truck that started blowing headlamps, computers, etc.  She complained of a bad smell in the truck, too.  She works at night, so I'd get the report in the morning and check it out later in the day.  Never could find anything.  One evening, I replaced the headlights, checked the charging voltage, then headed for the store.  I got about 2 miles up the road and both headlights blew out.  Switched to the dims and got back home, popped the hood without shutting down, and checked the voltage again.  26 volts!! :o :o  The voltage was between 15 & 16 as long as it was charging the battery.  When the voltage regulator kicked off, it went wayyyyy up.  The stink in the truck was the overcharged battery boiling.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbowl

Same thing happened to me that happened to DanG. Showed 17 volts. Blew my headlights, bad electric smell and fried other things. The voltage regulator was in the alternator. Replaced it and everything was fine.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

Mine had a seperate regulator.  It drooled all over the firewall.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

My 89 Probe blew a headlight at the Grand Canyon.
Replaced it and blew the other one several days later in Redwood N.P.
Also had that bad smell.
Replaced it and blew the alternator a day later.
Sounds to me like I may have had the same trouble as DanG and Woodbowl. :'(

Buzz-sawyer

If anything my lights have been dim....Voltage has not been odd as I checked it fairly recently.....I will look for a bad ground.....but I am off to buy another ECM tommorow.... ::)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

ScottAR

Voltage reg on the Deere went out once. 17 volts.  The battery exploded. 

Usually the ECM ground is the bolt in the ECM plug on Fords. V8s anyway.

Have you run the onboard diagnostic yet?   Get a shop manual for it and run the test to see what codes it spits out. 

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Furby

You can pull all the codes up online, the tester for that car is about $40 at autozone.
Least that's what I paid a year ago.
Don't forget the free online manuals at http://autozone.com/

This link goes to the ECM.
There is testing info for it.
It does also mention grounding.
Link

Buzz-sawyer

Just to let ya know.....got her running the day after the last post on this thread :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Furby

Buzz-sawyer

the simple thing that little voice in my head told me in the first place..........i advanced the distributor about 1/4 inch RAN LIKe a top      :o :o :o :o :o >:( >:( >:( :D :D :D :Dop
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Furby

Ya gotta listen to those voices sometimes..........even if it means you ARE crazy, ya know. ;)

rebocardo

FWIW: You should check the timing before and after replacing the CPU. I bet you are now at the factory 10 degrees. Make sure the shorting block (called SPOUT connector - two wires?) is securely fasten in its harness. I run a piece of plastic tie around it to prevent problems.

old3dogg

Buzz,

Its a Ford. Here is a simple fix.

GET RID OF IT! ;D

Thank You Sponsors!