iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No Thanksgiving for me... Oh but it was a Holiday

Started by Kbeitz, November 23, 2017, 01:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

My friend about one mile away had his 200 acres of land timbered off.
When the loggers finished up they left tons of wood behind. My friend
said I could have what I want but I had to move it quick. After the Holiday
what was left was going to be cut up for fire wood. For stuff like this you
don't wait around. You snooze you loose... This is my forth load today and
I don't see an end in sight yet. I'll be busy the next couple of days. All I'm
taking so far is Cherry and walnut. There is more oak than I could dream
of getting. Off I go....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

Good for you, it looks like you came real close to finding the load limit of your little crane.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

Quote from: starmac on November 23, 2017, 01:41:46 PM
Good for you, it looks like you came real close to finding the load limit of your little crane.

These two little manure forks on this little 15 hp tractor did all the loading.
One tough little tractor...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Treehack

Happy Thanksgiving anyway, K.  You are the epitome of hard work.  Imagine if our politicians had some of the work ethic displayed on this forum.  Maybe you can at least get a break in to have a turkey sandwich :D
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

nativewolf

Wonder how they bid that job?  Any walnut buyer would pay hundreds or more for the trailer loads you are bringing. 

Looks very nice and what a fun way to spend the day, cool but dry, good logging weather.

Curious if you are going to seal the ends, did you ever get the starch sealant together?
Liking Walnut

starmac

I will be the first to admit I know nothing about walnut or the commercial buyers, but it looks to me like what he is getting was what was cutoff the logs to make them salable to the buyers. Do the big buyers and mills actually buy crooked logs and crotches and the like?

TKehl

Makes me think of the Taco Bell/Godzilla commercial.

"Going to need a bigger box!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x2q0w9Pw5s
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kbeitz

Quote from: nativewolf on November 23, 2017, 02:46:12 PM
Wonder how they bid that job?  Any walnut buyer would pay hundreds or more for the trailer loads you are bringing. 

Looks very nice and what a fun way to spend the day, cool but dry, good logging weather.

Curious if you are going to seal the ends, did you ever get the starch sealant together?

I'm still using leftover latex paint. I put it on real heavy. Two coats.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: TKehl on November 23, 2017, 02:59:33 PM
Makes me think of the Taco Bell/Godzilla commercial.

"Going to need a bigger box!"

Not with this little tractor... This last load for today was pushing me hard.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

This is one of the many piles left behind.

More...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WLC

WOW, You hit the motherlode. What I'd give to be able to saw something besides spruce, white birch or cottonwood.  Gonna be some interesting stuff hidden in those logs.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

firefighter ontheside

Wow.  What a waste if it doesn't get put to some kind of use.  That's a LOT of firewood for your neighbor.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

DDW_OR

GREAT NEIGHBOR/FRIEND !!!

my first thought was "wish it was near me" but then i realized i have 2 to 3 foot diameter oak, maple, madrona, cedar, etc, etc
as well as pine, fir, alder.......
"let the machines do the work"

nativewolf

Quote from: starmac on November 23, 2017, 02:55:23 PM
I will be the first to admit I know nothing about walnut or the commercial buyers, but it looks to me like what he is getting was what was cutoff the logs to make them salable to the buyers. Do the big buyers and mills actually buy crooked logs and crotches and the like?

yeah they actually do buy it.  Heck I'd buy it at $0.50/bdft doyle.  Any and all and not limits, over 6' I buy it.  And if I buy so do others because we can sell it.

That's really only walnut.
Liking Walnut

Kbeitz

I was finished for the day but I did not want to quit.
The sun had set but off I went for another load.
I got some BIG cheery to get tomorrow.

Kinda took out my tail light. Plastic and logs don't mix.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: WLC on November 23, 2017, 03:25:32 PM
WOW, You hit the motherlode. What I'd give to be able to saw something besides spruce, white birch or cottonwood.  Gonna be some interesting stuff hidden in those logs.

What do you do with the white birch? That stuff just falls apart around here.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

nativewolf

Ok, I take it back.  That white oak log on top of a pile in one picture, I'd buy/sell that too.  It will actually scale ok.  If I can get 7' on a white oak log I'm ok because the buyers are EU and metric so 7' gives you a log with cutoff built in.  Good fun with metric.  I'm pretty darn sure that log is 7', maybe he can measure it for us. 
Liking Walnut

Kbeitz

Yea it was cutoffs. The stumps of the trees they took was 4-5 ft across.
They dint want this junk. I think they cut around 100 walnut trees.
Stumps everywhere. 100's of small branches 5-8" dia. laying around.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

Some use our birch for paneling, flooring even cabinet wood, it is actually some pretty wood if you get in an area where the trees get big enough without rotting in the center. It is also used for trailer decks some.
I would love to get some of the wood you guys have, Oak,cedar,walnut, etc, to play with, but as far as I know there is no way I can haul it up here with the bark on.

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

Good looking haul. Congratulations. Would your friend let you pile and stage the stuff you want in the area and buy you some more time? Might could pull out the stuff you want quickly and separate it so it could be placed off limits to firewood cutters and get you some more grace time to move it. You could pile a lot quickly and not lose the travel time. As long as he sees you moving it and actively working it might buy you more time. Also did you offer him a mantel or couple of slab benches or such? Just a thought.

As to the lights I break them on my similar trailer (Mine is 5X8 - I can't tell if yours is 5X8 or 5X10) so often I buy them at flea markets or such when I see them cheap. I think I have a whole set I paid $10 for at a Flea Market. Seems like TSC has good prices on them. I bought a replacement lens there then found I could buy the whole light for not much more.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

nativewolf

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 23, 2017, 04:50:49 PM

Yea it was cutoffs. The stumps of the trees they took was 4-5 ft across.
They dint want this junk. I think they cut around 100 walnut trees.
Stumps everywhere. 100's of small branches 5-8" dia. laying around.

Some of those walnut pieces still looked ok.  If you want to stage a hundred or so little walnut pieces someone would buy them, give you a few bucks for the shops. 

Well if they were cutting 4-5' diameter oak and walnut they might have been spoiled after 200 acres but it still amazes me.  200 acres of big hardwood should have been a nice paycheck for your friend. 

Liking Walnut

WLC

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 23, 2017, 04:45:14 PM
Quote from: WLC on November 23, 2017, 03:25:32 PM

What do you do with the white birch? That stuff just falls apart around here.

Must be a different birch than ours.  Right now I'm mostly cutting 1X4's, 1X6's and a few 2X6's and air drying them for future flooring or furniture projects.  I'll also cut a few slabs if I cut a interesting tree down.  When its dried and planed it looks a lot like hickory.

These were fresh off the sawmill.

Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

starmac

WLC, do you kiln dry any of your birch? I stopped at Poppets but all I really got from the lady I talked to is they do dry for other folks, not too much as far as pricing goes. I know the sawmill here does have them dry some.

Kbeitz

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 23, 2017, 05:33:50 PM
Kbeitz,

Good looking haul. Congratulations. Would your friend let you pile and stage the stuff you want in the area and buy you some more time? Might could pull out the stuff you want quickly and separate it so it could be placed off limits to firewood cutters and get you some more grace time to move it. You could pile a lot quickly and not lose the travel time. As long as he sees you moving it and actively working it might buy you more time. Also did you offer him a mantel or couple of slab benches or such? Just a thought.

As to the lights I break them on my similar trailer (Mine is 5X8 - I can't tell if yours is 5X8 or 5X10) so often I buy them at flea markets or such when I see them cheap. I think I have a whole set I paid $10 for at a Flea Market. Seems like TSC has good prices on them. I bought a replacement lens there then found I could buy the whole light for not much more.

My friend is to old to watch over the wood pile and the firewood guy can't be trusted.
They already took some stuff they were not to touch. I will just keep plugging away
and be happy with what i get. With hunting season here I think that will give me time
to do whats needed. They will all be hunting. One thing nice about walnut you sure
don't need to be in a hurry to cut it. You can let that stuff lay around for years and
it will still be there. It just gets better and darker with time.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!