iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Home Gasket Tape/Seals-Open vs. Closed Cell???

Started by kantuckid, January 02, 2018, 09:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

I used what was then a new product on the market in 1979 when building my log home. It was made by Norton Sealants and bought directly from the mfg. as not in the log home service sales as yet. My discussion with a mfg.'s rep was involved in my choice back then. The grey PVC foam tapes had been on the market at that time and were much cheaper then and now.
I used a double row of 3/8" thick x 1/2" wide closed cell tape. Moving forward to now it has done it's job!
In reading the various discussion by log home supply houses some sell both closed & open cell foam gaskets, others sell only closed cell, similar to what's in my home now. One I see is brown- "Log Seal".
The log wall I took down (in part) to make the entryway into my timber frame (new) living room demonstrated that particular closed cell tape was remaining effective in sealing log spaces in this stack log home.
My new project is stack log too.
What say "you" as to choosing a log seal tape?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Don P

I've used miles of this kind of closed cell tape;
http://www.loghelp.com/products/log-seal.asp
There was another, I might still have a roll or two in the barn, it was an asphalt impregnated open cell tape, it worked fine. I don't think I'd want to use just an open cell foam for fear of it absorbing and holding water.

kantuckid

That specific product linked above is what I used but mine came from Norton Sealants directly, was black and was new on the market at that time. As long as it's dark color doesn't really matter. It's cheaper now than in 1979! The Emseal product costs ~ twice as much and mfg makes the open cell vs. closed cell argument. I found real evidence!!! when I took down my own log wall from 1979 to create my wall opening in 2005. The closed cell gaskets work as they should. Finding 3/8" spikes was somewhat of a "chainsaw adventure" based on my 12" and 24" spike spacings of the past.

Don P

Emseal, that was the saturated gasket I was thinking of. Northeastern log homes was using them back then I think.
I managed to saw straight down the 10" length of a lag bolt with bimetal blades in a sawzall one time when a window was added. Whichever one of us ran that one in it was dead plumb.

kantuckid

What I've decided on is a a closed cell gasket from Cor-Tenn in Knoxville, TN. They have the best price hands down, name your dimension. I ran onto them after learning they were the distributor for Spax screws. They sell the Spax at the best price I can get for any name brand, non-generic screw with a known hardened steel, etc.. The guy there has been trained and knows his products well. He said users  "get by" with the shorter non branded screws but in longer lengths his products and the other name brands just have better steel.
I did learn that not many of the log home suplly houses sell Emgo-maybe the price point? but I have zero reason to use anything but closed cell gasket like what I used years ago. Ithas done it's job well over the years.

Thank You Sponsors!