iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats the going rate for sawing beams

Started by Husky, April 25, 2005, 04:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Husky

I am supposed to saw up some beams for a guy and wonder what would be a fair prices?

Back40x2

It depends on the quantity you are cutting.  For me I charge by the hour unless they want more then a 1000bf at which point I will charge them per BF.  They add up quick with very little work.
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Brad_S.

IMO, your hourly rate would depend on how much hyraulics you have on your mill. More hydraulics=more porduction=more money per hour. I have full hydraulics and charge $50 per hour.

Don't forget to come up with a blade resharpening and replacement charge as well. You'll need it!  :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Duncan

Just a note,

When sawing up large beams the most important thing to consider is the method of offbearing.  If you are sawing 20' 12 X 12 then you will NEED to have a forklift, or some other form of lifting equipment.  A traditional farm tractor will run into its lifting limit in a hurry and you can spend 20 minutes sawing and 2 hours getting it off the mill. not to mention that big timbers are dangerous to move by hand. 

I have also cut 10' 6 X 6 and found them easy for a single man to offbear and stack by himself.  Mind you that the offbearer must be fairly stout. 

A twenty foot 6 X 6 is fairly manageble by two people and shouldn't be a problem.  But a 20' foot 6X12 also ends up in the unmanageble category.

Beams are great money when sawing by the board foot but remember to have yourself set up properly or you will have a really painful back in the morning.

good luck.

Kelly
Kelly

Fla._Deadheader

For sawing someones logs for them, I would set by the hour. If all goes well, you can always lower your pay, to make the customer feel better about your services.

Our logs, we charge by the board foot. Can always saw the beams into boards, so the price is the same for us.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Brad_S.

Husky,

Are you sawing logs into beams or old beams into boards?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Husky

I am sawing logs into beams, with a manual mill but I have a tractor with forks so that does help with the off loading.

Fla._Deadheader

Had a guy ask one time why the cost was high for sawing on a home made mill. Told him it was MY option to build, not buy, but, we did not get paid to build the mill.  ;D ;D ;D 

Sawing stuff takes time. Figure your hourly pay and charge it.  I would want his trailer parked at the end of the mill, or I would charge for handling the stuff more times.  'splain that to the customer, time is money. Bet the customer don't work cheap.  ;) ;) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

caryr

Quote from: Duncan on April 26, 2005, 10:13:23 AMA twenty foot 6 X 6 is fairly manageble by two people and shouldn't be a problem.  But a 20' foot 6X12 also ends up in the unmanageble category.

Kelly,

I think I would put the 20'  6 X 12 as on the edge. We moved by hand a green 20' plus trim 6 X 12 (full 12) Douglas Fir beam the other day and I wouldn't classify either of us as stout. I must concede it was probably 2/3 or more heart wood which helped a lot.

Cary

Norwiscutter

Just had a guy tell me I was too expensive when I quoted .30/bf to cut 3000 feet of hardwood.  Thats 8ft length, grade sawn and includes paying my offbearer.  He said he would use it for firewood instead! Some people just blow my mind...
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

raycon

Around here you can buy boxed heart softwood timbers ( pine or hemlock) for a $1 bdft approximately if not less.
The pine or hemlock in log form would cost you $50-$400 mbf . Average probably being $200 mbf.  As the length increases so does the bdft price ( above 20' ).  Milling timbers hourly rate sounds the best. 

Lot of stuff..

Back40x2

NORWIS,,,,    ARE YOU GETTING .30BF ALL THE TIME, OR WAS THAT A TRIAL RUN ??? ??? ???  TO ME THAT SEEMS A BIT HIGH FOR 3000 FEET.  HERE IN MAINE GOING RATE FOR HW IS 210-225 PER 1000.  WITH 3000 FT WHY WOULD YOU EVEN BOTHER WITH AN OFFBEARER ???

JUST CURRIOUS ??? ??? ??? ;)
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Russ

Norwiscutter:
What would be the price (BF) of firewood. My guess would be about $.50 a bf.
Make him a offer for the logs or cut for shares and resell the lumber. The guy might take it if he thinks $90. is alot of money.

Thank You Sponsors!