iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for an easy switch from primary (OWB) to back-up heat source

Started by dansietsma, December 09, 2017, 04:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dansietsma

Hey everyone, been following this forum for a while and finally decided to become a member and actually try to be a part of the forum instead of just gleaning useful info from everyone elses posts. 

So long story short, we installed a Polar G2-plus at our location this fall.  So far it is running flawlessly!  But when we did the install we were a little pressed for time and decided, for the time being, to just bypass the propane in the hot air blower unit and run strictly off the OWB.  This is fine if we were going to be home and able to keep the boiler loaded.  Now what we are looking to do, is to have some system in place that when we aren't home and the boiler cannot be loaded, for the propane secondary heat to kick on.  The issue is I can't find any simple and reliable way to set this up.  Basically what I want is for the boiler to run until it no long is hot enough to supply heat to the house.  Then say when the house temp drops to 55, for the propane to know to kick back on and maintain that temp until we can get the boiler back up and running.

Any ideas??
If there is any other useful info I can give to help figure this out feel free to ask!

Dan

E Yoder

A second thermostat could signal a relay on the G terminal if there's AC on your propane furnace, if not it could relay the 120v. fan wire.
Or a temp sensor (we use a Ranco control) can cut the propane off and on based on water temp .
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Roger2561

Quote from: dansietsma on December 09, 2017, 04:39:20 PM
Hey everyone, been following this forum for a while and finally decided to become a member and actually try to be a part of the forum instead of just gleaning useful info from everyone elses posts. 

So long story short, we installed a Polar G2-plus at our location this fall.  So far it is running flawlessly!  But when we did the install we were a little pressed for time and decided, for the time being, to just bypass the propane in the hot air blower unit and run strictly off the OWB.  This is fine if we were going to be home and able to keep the boiler loaded.  Now what we are looking to do, is to have some system in place that when we aren't home and the boiler cannot be loaded, for the propane secondary heat to kick on.  The issue is I can't find any simple and reliable way to set this up.  Basically what I want is for the boiler to run until it no long is hot enough to supply heat to the house.  Then say when the house temp drops to 55, for the propane to know to kick back on and maintain that temp until we can get the boiler back up and running.

Any ideas??
If there is any other useful info I can give to help figure this out feel free to ask!

Dan

Hello Dan.  I live in Enfield, next town over from you.  When the holiday season has come to a close and the crazy running around between parties and events has lowered to a manageable level, would you mind if I stopped by to have a look at your Polar OWB?  I'm old enough to know that nothing last forever and I know I'll need to swap out my Central Boiler E-Classic 1400 for something else in the not too distant future.  The dealer from whom I purchased the 1400 is located on the road between Newport and Claremont so it's an easy 40 minute drive to get parts if I need them and he's a really nice guy.  But, the CB warranty/customer service at the corporate level is not good at all.

If I get a chance today I'll take a picture of how I set it up on my oil furnace using a strap on aqua stat and connecting it to the "TT" connections on the Honeywell R8184 relay using a thermostat wire.  On my relay I had a jumper on the "TT" terminals that I needed to remove.  The strap on is set to 150 degrees, although the water coming into the house from the OWB is 195 degrees.  If the strap on detects that water from the OWB is 150, the oil burner will then turn on and provide the heat until I can investigate and rectify the problem.  If you think you want to go this route, I'll get the model of the strap on aqua stat I use, you need the correct one for it to work this way.  Roger 
Roger

Wood Shed

Dan,

I am also interested in hearing more about your Polar OWB.  My story is similar to Roger's only older (CB 6048).  Seeing your age and not knowing your background I suggest you get as much professional help as possible as well as the info you can get here and from those nearby like Roger.  When your age I got started with a HVAC contractor I met while building with my Dad.  I started with a Hoval multi-fuel boiler in 1980 and now have a new heat pump, oil boiler, and generator all working together seamlessly with the CB OWB to heat our home.  That professional help was essential for me.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Gearbox

I would need more details . What can be done is with a coil in the plentum of your gas furnace the heat from the gas hot air would take over and keep the water warm . I don't understand how you bypassed your furnace when you hooked up the OWB .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

buckgrunt

Hi Dan,

I also live nearby in Candia NH.  I don't know how your system is set up, but my wood boiler and my oil furnace are completely separate.  My wood boiler heats up the oil furnace water via a water to water heat exchanger.  So when I leave for a long weekend and the wood fire my outdoor boiler  eventually dies, my oil furnace automatically kicks on to keep the water temp up in the oil furnace.  I have a thermostat relay switch set at 150 for the wood boiler water temp that wont allow water below 150 to get to the heat exchanger, thus when I am gone, I am not heating up the wood furnace water with oil.  I know it sounds confusing but its really simple and easy to grasp if you see it.....

Don

Thank You Sponsors!