iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Expert question: Stihl MS250 head/chain combo

Started by KROWBAR26, October 23, 2003, 09:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KROWBAR26

Two part question:

A>  Bought a new MS250 (2.77cid, 3 bhp) it came setup with an 18" bar running .325" pitch, .063" gauge chain. Is it possible to put a 3/8" pitch, .050 gauge sprocket/bar/chain combo on this saw? I realize I need to replace sprocket and bar.

B> If answer to first question is yes. Will I be overtaxing the motor? Should I use a shorter bar or particular type of chain?

I have an 036 and an 066 that both run 3/8"-.050" chain. Want to standardize across the board from a parts/chain/tool stand point

Thanks in advance - KROWBAR

Gus

I think the question will be ; does stihl make a sprocket for that saw that is 3/8 .50 gauge. I wouldn't worry about the saw handling it. It should do ok.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Kevin

Take the sprocket off the 36 and match it to the 250 sprocket.
I suspect they are the same but don't know for sure.
Both saws probably have the small 7 spline(SM7).
If they are the same there shouldn't be a problem but put the new bar, sprocket and chain on and rotate the chain by hand just to check it.
I don't understand why they would put a .063" bar and chain on a .325 pitch saw?  :-/

jokers

How Krowbar

I understand your desire to standardize but I feel that you will be forsaking a substantial amount of performance by running 3/8 chain on the 250. Is it that important to standardize?

I know that the 036 and 036 both take a mini spline rim so I assume that the 025 does as well, if it has a rim and drum system. Better yet just get an Oregon or GB replacement drum, which will be the small spline which is more commonly available than the mini and is only used by Stihl. By the time you buy 4 small spline rims at about $3 each( vs $6 for the Stihl), you will have paid for the drum. Stihl OEM rims seem to easily cost twice as much as Oregon or GB rims. Jeff Sikkema at S&S SawShop is a good source of these products.

Thank You Sponsors!