iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to get info and some knolage on c4 tree farmers.

Started by logman81, October 17, 2017, 05:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Skidder is almost ready to pull wood! Done a ton of work and replaced many parts and made many adjustments. Tomorrow is test and tune day hopefully all goes well and passes the test.
Precision Firewood & Logging

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

logman81

tantoy

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

logman81

Thank you and will do. Ill give an update later today on what ive been up to on it with pics.

logman81

mad murdock

LThat there looks like one icky carburetor! Hopefully the floats aren't corroded through. Clean it up and put an OH kit in it, should run real nice!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

I ordered a brand new carburetor for it, didn't feel this one was worth rebuilding. That wheel spindle has a bad grove worn in it so that had to be sent out to local machine shop to be welded and machined.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

logman81

logman81

Still working on the old girl fixing her up. Trying to get the engine to fireup and run properly.  Changed out the intake/exhaust manifold. New plugs and converting to electronic ignition and getting rid of the points system.  Hopefully should have the wheel spindle back from the machine shop soon. Ill post up some more pics soon of this rebuild lol!

mike_belben

If you put on a pertronix or some such magnetic setup, make sure that you never have power going to the coil when the engine isnt spinning.. Like by toggle switches or something.  $300 lesson for me.
Praise The Lord

logman81

Yup just installed it yesterday, solved the no start and poor running condition. Runs and idles better than when i first got it. Only time it gets power to the coil is when i turn the key on so no worries.

mike_belben

Good deal.  

Save your box and rcpt.  If it turds out within a year theyll give you another. 
Praise The Lord

logman81

Yeah i doubt it will but i save everything and i plan to have spares of of the common stuff for it on my shelf for when something does happen to minimize down time. Machine shop is finishing up on the hub so it wont be long before its back on four wheels!

logman81

Well im happy to say its all back together, i tested it out a little bit today and everything seems to be working as it should. Just need to use the winch a bit more to polish up the clutch to get it to freespool better.  Other than that its ready for the woods!

logman81

Just wanted to say thank you to those of you that help me through the process of getting this old girl back up and running. Got some snow coming so after its melted its heading to its first job of 400+ acres of pine and hardwoods.

bushmechanic

leeroyjd

logman81

Thank you bushmechanic, and yes ill be cutting sections on a 400+ acre farm hasnt been cut in over 80 years.

David-L

Quote from: logman81 on February 22, 2018, 07:58:46 AM
I ordered a brand new carburetor for it, didn't feel this one was worth rebuilding. That wheel spindle has a bad grove worn in it so that had to be sent out to local machine shop to be welded and machined.
Here it comes Dave, 20" of white stuff. Better chain the old gal up. Nice Work.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

logman81

No chains for this old girl shes got a good set of forestry specials. I was told not to run chains cause the planitaries on them dont like that much. Ill wait till the snows melted before i move it to the job.  Shes going to sit nice and warm in my shop till then.

logman81

So here is the proof its ready for the woods! Only thing that im not 100% happy with is the freespooling on the winch still a bit tough but i think its getting better the more i use it. Hopefully putting it on job next week.

bushmechanic

Oh boy that looks some good! You should listen to the old bushmechanic and take it apart and clean up those discs and you will be impressed with how good it can work. If it's going to set for another week then what's another day to fix it right? Like I said When I release mine now the chockers will hit the ground and I sometimes have to reapply the lever to keep from letting too much cable off too quick.  

logman81

Thanks i tried to get it apart but couldn't but managed to free it up alot. It seems to be getting better the more i use it. I figure by hooking on to a tree and going forward and dragging the brake a little it will clean it up and make it better.

Thank You Sponsors!