iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Visited by thieves👎🏼👎🏼

Started by barbender, February 01, 2018, 11:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Someone came out on the job last night and stole the tools out of my machine's service box. I've been at this for 6 years now and this is the first time I've had anything messed with. It wasn't locked, we lock the cab but not the toolbox. I locked mine for a while, but one of the old hands told me that just makes people think there's something worth tearing the lock off for. What stinks is that it was the original tool kit that came with the new forwarder, and it wasn't even that many tools. But, they were good quality tools that were well tailored for what you need onboard the machine, in a nice tidy box. Idiots even took the tray that slides out for the tool box, which is actually part of the machine. The main problem is the replacement cost is about $750 for the whole kit, so I will have to just assemble my own at the parts store to keep the cost down. I had the Sheriff's department out just to document it in case s they happen on to something. I have a deep dislike of thieves...
Too many irons in the fire

luvmexfood

I hate a thieve but especially one who steals a mans tools he uses to make a living with. It's like stealing twice. Once his stuff and second the ability to go out and make an income for his family.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

240b

that stinks.   someone took my choker chains last fall. the cops told me to look on craigs list. i bought a couple game cameras for the landing. 

kenfrommaine

Set out some game cameras. They will more then likely be back for diesel or what ever else they can carry off.

thecfarm

There is no reason for that to happen.   >:(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Yeah, I'll be looking at trail cameras.
Too many irons in the fire

coxy

get ones that don't have a light when taking a pic  that was my mistake they took the cams to  ::)

goose63

Quote from: thecfarm on February 02, 2018, 07:04:56 AM
There is no reason for that to happen.   >:(

Drugs around here thy will steal your dirty socks if thy can get drug money out of them

Thy know better at my place there is a crazy old coot that will shoot at ya if ya get cought
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Gearbox

Get a sign made and put it in the window of the machine that says . THIS SITE CAMERA PROTECTED . Don't even need the camera .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Resonator

X2 on the game cameras, check pawn shops and C-list to see if they try to sell them. That and get a sign like my friend has on his hunting cabin: "WARNING: if you can read this, your in range!" written over a rifle target.  :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Hilltop366

Put a sign at the trail cam that says "camera #3" or if you think they won't get the hint " Wait!! before taking this camera make sure you can find the first 2"

Ed_K

That stinks  >:( . If my equipment ever go's back out on a job I'll have trail cams also. Climb up on the roof of the skidder and mount high in a tree.
Ed K

chevytaHOE5674

Somebody must have needed a set of metric tools in a bad way. Those big wrenches in the kit can get pricey.

We never locked our tool or machines in the woods, but when I have to leave my personal equipment away from home everything gets locked up (doors, tools, fuel cap, hydraulic cap, radiator, etc).

Raider Bill

I've been spray painting things that may walk away with Rustolem Oasis Blue paint. It's pretty close to Logrite blue.
Easy to spot.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

JesseA

Man thats a shame! I know how it is to have things stolen.  Every stranger becomes suspect  :-[

Stoneyacrefarm

Sorry to hear about that Barbender.
One thing to keep in mind.
Carma will get them.
Years ago I had a saw stolen out of my truck.
I was cutting firewood for a friend a few towns over and this guy pulls up in a car.
Gets out and asks me if I want to buy a chainsaw.
I said sure.
Let me call my wife to bring some money over for you.
I really called my neighbor who was a cop in my town.
I knew the saw was mine.
Cop showed up.
We took the cover off the saw and my name and number was etched into it.
The guy handed me the saw and said he was sorry.
Guy left with his tail between his legs.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

tawilson

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 02, 2018, 09:39:25 AM
I've been spray painting things that may walk away with Rustolem Oasis Blue paint. It's pretty close to Logrite blue.
Easy to spot.
I use florescent pink. Not only does it deter thieves, it also makes them easier to spot if dropped in the woods.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Gary_C

I had a similar problem with my Ergo Harvester some years ago while working on a blowdown job in the state forest and next to the res. Someone came down the snowmobile trail on their snowmobile and cleaned out all the tools in the tool box plus opened the battery compartment and took the two big batteries. They did not care about the batteries as they threw them down on the ground and smashed holes in the cases and drained all the acid. The county deputy that came said he had a pretty good idea who did it but they could never catch him in the act. At that time they told me that large scrap batteries were worth $60 each.

Those tools are not easy to replace and yes, very expensive if you buy the factory originals. Makes me mad all over again when I think of the time I lost getting new batteries, paying $10 each for scrap disposal fees because I did not have any batteries to turn in and then the time and cost of finding replacement tools.

My insurance paid some of the cost but by the time they took the deductible and they "depreciated the tools" because they could not find any used market value, it didn't cover much. The claims adjuster and I had a heated discussion about depreciation and he told me he had tools that were ten years old and they were all beat up. I told him I did not treat my tools that was but he did not care. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Dave Shepard

I've always thought a sign that says "If you've made it this far, your photo has already been uploaded to the cloud twice!" might be effective.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mike_belben

Meth, heroin, fentanyl and oxy are part of the late stages of a foreign political warfare that started in the late 1950s, that are crippling the country today Read "Red Cocaine."  I will stop there so as not to get in trouble with jeff.

As for thieves, they are lazy and weak opportunistic predators.  You can defeat them with a lot of effort and threat of violence but its not for everyone.  I live where the meth is and my stuff stays put no matter how many nights im gone.  Its not cameras that do the labor, its your fists and your spine.  You have to drive up their driveway or get out of the truck when theyre walking on the side of the road.  Imprint on their little paranoid geeker brains that youll punish them fiercely.
Praise The Lord

pineywoods

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 02, 2018, 12:02:09 PM
I've always thought a sign that says "If you've made it this far, your photo has already been uploaded to the cloud twice!" might be effective.
Don't work here, most of them can't read, or if they can, their brain is so toasted they can' comprehend what the sign says... ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mike_belben

Most of em shop at night anyways.  Make it a neon sign and youll be in business.
Praise The Lord

Southside

Sadly Mike is right - it helps if folks thing you are a little bit over the edge - that word spreads and they tend to give you a wide berth.  A number of years back my pickup was stolen.  Found out who did it as the dummies girlfriend left her purse with my checkbook in it at a car wash.  Worst part was I used to plow out the guys grandmothers driveway for free with my loader.  So word got around that we were onto them and that I was going to make them disappear - not sure how that word got around is my official story.  One day I stopped into the grandmothers place to tell her that grandson needed to turn himself in as the police had them dead to rights.  She says he is not there, denied his involvement, the whole nine yards.  When I told her I was the guy she always waved to when plowing her driveway she said - "He's in the back" - we hear a loud bang as he jumped out the back door, off the porch into the briar patch and then ran off into the woods.  An hour or two later he came out onto the road all torn up right in front of a Trooper - it was perfect.  His half brother then fled to an island and called to turn himself in, said he did not want to do it from the mainland.  It did not prevent the truck from being stolen, but at least the dirt bags went to jail and my stuff never got touched after that. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

dgdrls

very sorry to hear, I hope you are able to get the tools back

Most low level thieves are opportunist, they go for the easy stuff.  Surveyor I know used to work in the City offices,  drove a reasonable, not great car.  Others similar to his all got the smash and grab or some version of mischief including taking the whole car except his.  I asked him what was the deal with his luck, he replies
"no luck, I use the trap"  He would leave old spring traps
on the steering wheel and on the seats. 

You have to make it too much work or "appear" to be not worth it,   in any manner possible.

Really sad part is even when they get caught, the victim usually get's  no restitution.

D

Thank You Sponsors!