iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adding a laser

Started by vfauto, November 25, 2017, 02:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josef

The Apinex unit I added to my mill is the 50 mW 90 degree green laser, from my ordering receipt this is what I ordered from Apinex early 2015

GM-CW02L <50mW Compact green laser module with line generator US$ 125.00
AC110-220-DC3 110/220, power supply adaptor, 3V US$ 17.50
HS-12 Heat sink 12mm US$ 17.50
Sub Total   US$ 160.00
Shipping (United States Express)   US$ 24.95
TOTAL   US$ 184.95

I ordered a spare shortly after this order, and the one weak point in the unit is where they attach the leads on the back of the module. They are soldered to a very small pc board, and are made from wire I'd equate to frogs hair gauge. To remedy the weak point that became evident after only a few hours operating with the vibrations of a sawmill head I added a terminal board just behind the unit to support the wires where they're tagged to heavier wire to the power supply. You can see it in this pic.

I used the heat sink block as an "adjustable base" it has 5 threaded holes, one center and at each corner, I clamp it with the center and pitch it with jack screws at each corner to fine tune the alignment. In full disclosure I had the first module fail after 1 week, they replaced it free and it has worked flawlessly since, over two years. In this pic you can see how bright it is.

I also aligned it so the outside edge of the visible beam is only 2 inches outside the working side of the mill to prevent someone inadvertently looking directly into the beam. The mounting bracket is fabbed to bolt directly to the head frame, slung under the blade wheel guard to extend it forward so the laser is out front but protected by the cage welded to the bracket. It's fabbed from really heavy angle so it would take a pretty good hit to dislodge it. It does get dust in the mount occasionally, I just blow it out with air. I'm sold on it and would find operating without it a distinct disadvantage.

Joe

please note I modified the above post to correct the fan angle of the laser module to 90 degrees.
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Pabene

Josef, I like your instalation and the photos shows all very good. I started with a similar laser, without moving parts inside, because I think it will resist vibrations. Unforfunately it just had 45° wide beam so it could not reach over a long log. If the beam angle would been 60°, in my case, it would been good for me to. ( To wide beam results in less light intensity). I have the mill inside and have a big door open in one end. In my case I can see the laser line most of the time. When the sun, one hour in the mornings, can hit the log through the open door, I cant see the laser line. So, to perform a test of the laser you are going to buy, on your own mill, is my advise to all.

Kbeitz

Look into rotating mirrors. You can take a small mirror and glue
it on the shaft of a small motor and point the laser at the mirror
and it will project a straight line. This way the laser does not need
to be so big and powerful but it will project a very powerful line.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

MbfVA

Josef, what kind of mill is yours on?  Band or swing blade?
www.ordinary.com (really)

LeeB

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 03, 2017, 07:52:47 AM
Look into rotating mirrors. You can take a small mirror and glue
it on the shaft of a small motor and point the laser at the mirror
and it will project a straight line. This way the laser does not need
to be so big and powerful but it will project a very powerful line.

More info please.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

LeeB

Guess I'll have to wait until I get home to see what you are talking about. I can't view youtube over here at work. Blocked.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

petefrom bearswamp

I second Peter Drouin's comment.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Josef

MbfVA, the mill is a Timber Harvester band mill, but I would think it would work on any mill that has a frame mounting point on the head solid enough to keep the module stable, keep in mind that a laser strong enough to be easily visible in strong sunlight will probably also be able to do damage to the eyes anyone foolish to look directly into the laser. At 50 mW this module falls into that category.

Joe

In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Josef on December 04, 2017, 09:27:27 AM
MbfVA, the mill is a Timber Harvester band mill, but I would think it would work on any mill that has a frame mounting point on the head solid enough to keep the module stable, keep in mind that a laser strong enough to be easily visible in strong sunlight will probably also be able to do damage to the eyes anyone foolish to look directly into the laser. At 50 mW this module falls into that category.

Joe

Just 5mw will damage your eyes...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tawilson

I am finding this pretty handy.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Ga Mtn Man

Josef - Why did you choose the GM-CW02 laser over the BES532-L for $99?  Also, I noticed in the description for the mounting bracket BRH it states that "Laser diode modules are positive to the case...".  How did you get around that when mounting yours?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

tawilson

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on March 19, 2018, 09:30:26 AM
Josef - Why did you choose the GM-CW02 laser over the BES532-L for $99?  Also, I noticed in the description for the mounting bracket BRH it states that "Laser diode modules are positive to the case...".  How did you get around that when mounting yours?
That's a good question that I wish I had asked. I ordered the GM-CW02 and immediately broke a wire off while mounting it. They made it right and suggested I get the 20mW AGLL2 that I'm using in my pic above. I want a little more beam down the log so ordered the 50mW BES532-L this morning. 50mW plus the specs say the beam is consistent across the entire width.
As far as isolating,  I wrapped the mounting block with electrical tape and it worked. I will come up with something a little more trustworthy when I get the new one.
I also just ordered a time relay to make sure it's off when I'm handling the lumber
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
Woodmaster 725

Josef

Ga Mtn Man, I chose the GM-CW02 over the BES532-L for two reasons, first because of the wider fan angle, the 90 degree beam angle allows a "wider" beam width up closer to the module, a 60 degree beam angle restricts the width of the beam when the head is closer than 3 feet from the end of the log (I like to see the width of the opening cut on the end of the log). (Assuming it is aligned to illuminate over the length of the log). Second reason was the dia of the module, 12 mm vs 16 mm.

These two are the only green laser line generators Apinex has available in 50 mw. The green line generated by the 50mw is noticeably more robust than the 20mw units. Also the GM-CW02 unit has a projected beam "thickness" twice that of the BES532-L, 1.4mrad vs 0.6mrad making it appear "brighter" over the length of projection, again IMHO.

Positive to the case only means the module is clamped over its entire length. The BRH mounting bracket is probably not stable enough to withstand the vibrations of a saw head (IMHO) and the more stable heat sinks are all 12mm, too small for the BES532-L module.

In a previous thread I cautioned about the insufficient quality of the wire attachments of the GM-CW02, I used a terminal block a couple of inches behind the module to address the "movement" of the wires (which mimic frogs hair) after one of my modules had their leads break off in testing. Apinex did replace the unit.

The HS-12 heat sink is a comparatively substantial unit. It has 5 threaded mounting holes on the bottom, one at each corner and one in the middle. I use the four corner holes to "jack" the heat sink and angle it to align it, and then use the center hole to secure it to the base to clamp it down. I made my mounting base out of very heavy angle iron to minimize the effects of the vibration of the mill.

One caution I always bring up for anyone considering this mod is to be sure you align the laser so the fan angle never projects beyond the side of the mill that helpers work on, it only takes a moments intention on the part of a helper who mistakenly looks directly into a 50mw laser to potentially cause eye damage. Imagine how easy that would be with the saw head raised to saw that opening cut off the top of a log when it's closest to eye level of anyone standing within line with the laser beam.

All in all this was the most useful mod I made for my Timber Harvester mill. Quite a few hundred hours on it without problems, though I do realign it every spring, seem to shift about a quarter inch in a years time. I have it mounted outside of the head uprights so hitting something with it is "almost" impossible.

Joe

Josef

After rereading the previous post I must apologize for sounding like a broken record about the danger of potential damage from a 50mw laser, I know you're all very responsible builders and operators and I know how much I dislike being nagged about the obvious. Sorry,

Joe

Bandmill Bandit

I added the laser to my mill using woodmizer mounting hard ware and 90MW (i think) green laser. Its all in the usefull sawmill mods thread.

I installed an adjustable auto shutoff relay to my laser circuit so that the laser can not be left on by mistake.

I have it set to shut off in 5 seconds which is all I need to get the alignment set.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks for the thorough response Josef.  Your reasons for choosing that particular model make sense.  I'm still confused by the wording from the Apinex website though:

"Laser diode modules are positive to the case for optimal heat sinking. Do not mount metal brackets to the negative supply or negative earth without additional electrical isolation."

It sure sounds to me like they are saying the case of the module is hot.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

tawilson

Apinex recommended I test the power supply voltage and while doing that I checked and the outer shell is indeed positive. 
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
Woodmaster 725

Josef

Interesting, this is not a precaution I observed, my mounting is indeed electrically hard on the mill head frame, and the 12 volt system on the mill uses a frame ground, but the laser power supply is independent of the 12 volt system using a 120v step down transformer so I guess it is isolated electrically. I need to investigate further.

Joe

Kbeitz

Just put it in a plastic block... Drill a hole in plastic and split it in half and bolt it back together with the laser in the middle.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tawilson

Their mount is an aluminium block  with a set screw. Could do that out of plastic also I would think.  
Edit, I was just on Woodmizers site and their laser mounting block is listed as plastic. Looks like a split one like Kbeitz described.  Doesn't say what size but I ordered one.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
Woodmaster 725

Bandmill Bandit

My laser is the BES532-L  50mW from apinex.  I just looked up the part number to be sure.

Mounted in the wood mizer hard ware direct from wood mizer.

Added the momentary on/off relay and push button to activate the laser. Relay is adjustable to be normally open or closed and can be set from 2 seconds to several minutes on and then it shuts off. Mine set for normally open and 5 secs on when activated.  

The woodmizer laser and composite Laser mount (CE-305) comes from Cemar electro in Quebec. If I remember right you can get the ball that laser fits into in different hole sizes.

cemar electro . com 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Josef

Several years ago when I was looking into an aftermarket laser module I checked on the Cemar products, their pricing was several times that of the Apinex units, hence I went with Apinex. Looking at them again this morning it seems that the Cemar GM 850 is more in line with the Apinex units from what I found on Ebay. Specs are very comparative. I am going to add a laser to a homebuilt mill I'm working on for my SIL and requested a quote from Cemar to compare them. I'll pass on that info when I receive it.

Bandmill Bandit, could you share the manufacturer and part number of the momentary on off relay you used?

Joe

Stuart Caruk

I added a green line laser that I bought from Amazon. It's a  

Laserland
532nm 50mW Green Laser LINE Module Locator for Cutting Machine +adapter +mount

I've bought 3 of these now for various uses and they seem to work great. I mounted one on the wall by my edger so I can see the guide fence location when the fence is flipped up to edge live edge slabs. Back then they cost $28 with the mount. I see now that they run $35. 
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

ladylake

I used to think I needed a lazar  but not anymore after sawing quite a bit.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!