iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eagle watching

Started by Larry, January 31, 2003, 08:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Been watching some Eagles for about two weeks now.  Located 25 miles south of St Joseph Mo. on highway 59 or 1/2 mile south of Sugar lake in the dried up marsh west side of road.  Usually about 40 of them and best time to see them is from sunup to about 10 in the morning.  You can get a good look with binoculars, as they are only about 250 yards off the road.  Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.  Guess I need to put a telephoto lens on the wish list.
Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ADfields

You dont need a big buck lens, just get closer! ;D   This one sat in that tree in my yard most of last winter.
Andy

Larry

I tried to sneak up on em about a week ago through the brush but they looked like they were going to spook and I didn't want to scare them all the way back to you.

I thought all eagles came south for the winter.  Do the eagles in Alaska spend all year there?  I guess when I think about it we have a few eagles here that never go north with the rest of them in the spring.
Larry
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Minnesota_boy

We have a lot of eagles that spend the winter here in northern Minnesota.  Looks like more are doing it every year.  

I was going to give you the Ojibwe word for "Where eagles soar" which is inscribed on a sign where I have been sawing, but I can't find it on the web.  I guess I'll just have to drive that extra half mile to the sign and copy it down.  :-/  I'd never spell it right without the sign in front of me.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Norm

It sure is nice to see the comeback eagles have made. It was about ten years ago that I saw my first one around our place. Now we see them year round but more so when the water must be freezing up north of us in the late fall. We have a small creek that runs through our farm and they follow it looking for food. During deer season we take the carcasses down by the creek so the dog doesn't drag up the leftovers ( you should see the look on our city friends faces when the dog greets them with a deer leg in his mouth) if your quiet you can sneak up on them and watch them scavange.

ADfields

Well Norm if you look at mine you can see he did NOT like me so neer!!   He was chatering and squlkin like he was about to come and get me.   Thay can put a hert on you if thay are pushed to far.

The ones from hear stay year round and the ones from inland winter neer the cost like we are hear.   Over neer Haines Alaska thay get so thick in the winter on the Chilkat river you see so meny in every tree there is no room for one more and still thousands on the ground.   It's somthing to see so meny, it's like ducks get in some places.
Andy

This Catahoula dog is about to find out not to mess with big birds!!   A wolf will even cut a wide path away from them, thay are TUFF.

Tom

There is some more Eagle Watching talk on  the 3rd and 4th pages of Woods Walking in this same forum if you want to look around.  That is a pretty good thread from beginning to end too.  I like to go back and read some of those old post again and again. :)

OneWithWood

My fondest memory of seeing eagles was about two years ago.  My wife and I were sailing on Monroe Lake on a lazy summer afternoon.  It was one of those beautiful afternoons when we were the only boat around.  Suddenly we heard a wooshing sound as a big bald eagle soared in over the boat, braked and snagged a fish not thirty yards astern.  What a sight!  
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Corley5

I see eagles around here on a fairly regular basis these days.  I saw seven back in December when I was checking elk kill sites during the hunt.  They had been feeding on the gut pile.  We had one hanging around in our neighborhood for a while hunting the neighbors chickens.  The bird would would sit in a big maple in the adjacent yard and wait.  I don't how many he got but it was obvious what he was doing.  A few years ago I was cruising down Trowbridge Rd south of Wolverine in my DNR truck, not really paying attention when I noticed a pickup sitting just before the south bridge over the Sturgeon.  I didn't think anything about it just sped up a bit and passed them.  Just as I was pulling back in two adult eagles took off from the bridge and in my rear view I saw the driver of the truck with his camera.  I'm sure that guy in the DNR truck is still the object of negative comments on occasion ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

Once while duck hunting on East Lake in the eastern U.P. an eagle swooped down and grabbed one of my cork duck decoys and took off with it with anchor hanging. After probably realizing that it had a "fake" duck and some airborn problems it shook the decoy loose out over the lake and I was able to later retrieve it.

~Ron

Larry

When fishing in Canada one of the camp rules is that after you clean fish the entails have to be taken across the lake and dumped out on a flat rock so the bears won't visit.  As soon as you start across the lake with a bucket of fish stuff the seagulls will be on your tail and beat you to the flat rock.  When the seagulls raise their normal ruckus it will attract the attention of any nearby eagles and they will swoop down to finish up.  It is sorta comical watching the seagull's back off when an eagle comes in.
Larry

Norm

We butchered a hog recently and decided to take the leftovers down on a terrace south of our house. The eagles have found them and have been feeding on it for the last few days. This morning there were 4 of them feeding on it. Three mature ones and a juvenile. I don't have a telephoto lens for my digital camera so the pics's make them look further away then they really are. These were in the trees by our house waiting their turn on the carcass.

Norm

This one landed in the tree outside my bedroom window. They must be migrating back north as we are seeing more of them around than usual. My cat was warming hereself in the sun on the back deck and the eagle would look down at her like maybe she could be it's next dinner.

Thank You Sponsors!