iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heading to Maine in October through November

Started by wmrussel, August 27, 2011, 12:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmrussel

Hello everyone.  I'm heading to Maine to cruise timber for 6 weeks, starting in early October.  I've ventured out of the southeast once before, Wisconsin in January of 2007.  Had a blast up there in the cold and snow.  I'll take -8 F over 108 F any day of the week. 

Any input on what to expect in Maine would be appreciated.  Anecdotal or serious.   I believe we'll be in the western half of the state, probably more toward the  north.
My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

Mooseherder

If you see "Poutines" on the menu, you'll know you're far north in "The County"
It's French Fries with Cheese kurds and Beef Gravy. :D
The only thing better is Chicken Poutines.
That has shredded Chicken Breasts on top. :)

Expect morning frosts and people hunting.

wmrussel

Sounds like some good food up there!

I'm used to people hunting.  I've got a brand new cruising vest I plan on pulling out for the beginning of hunting season.  If the hunters up there are as friendly as the ones in the south, I'll enjoy meeting them.

KBforester

Trees are good.

SwampDonkey

Yes, watch out for the moose on the roads. Even in the day time they blend in with tree  shadows. The sun will be in your face all day long if it's sunny. Your heading into the beginning of snow season out that way toward the hills. But, even without snow it'll get frosty and the roads can turn slimy as the mid day sun thaws the frost out. That's in November mostly. And that's if the roads your on aren't good gravel or crushed stone.

Long way to go cruising.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wmrussel

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 27, 2011, 05:06:34 PM
Yes, watch out for the moose on the roads. Even in the day time they blend in with tree  shadows. The sun will be in your face all day long if it's sunny. Your heading into the beginning of snow season out that way toward the hills. But, even without snow it'll get frosty and the roads can turn slimy as the mid day sun thaws the frost out. That's in November mostly. And that's if the roads your on aren't good gravel or crushed stone.

Long way to go cruising.  ;D

Yes, but we hope to get to do the work in July and August next year.  That would be a nice break from the southeast, the south of the southeast, at that.  I'll drive quite a ways to escape our heat and humidity!

WDH

Take a big sack of grits and drop them off at thecfarm's place in Maine as you pass through.  He can always use more sacks  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I do not need more sacks.   :D   I must say,you southern guys are real helpful when it comes to grits.
If you're in the woods during deer hunting seasons,make sure you are wearing something orange on.A orange plastic vest can be bought at really any store in the area. My wife makes me wear one when I'm cutting wood. I'm kinda down in the middle of Maine. Will be cold in the mornings,probably below freezing,but might be in the high 60's at high noon. You will notice the difference in temps from Oct than 6 weeks later.
Must be doing this for a large land owner,paper company?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Quote from: WDH on August 27, 2011, 08:46:11 PM
Take a big sack of grits and drop them off at thecfarm's place in New Yor as you pass through.  He can always use more sacks  :D.

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

wmrussel

Quote from: thecfarm on August 28, 2011, 07:48:08 AM
I do not need more sacks.   :D   I must say,you southern guys are real helpful when it comes to grits.
If you're in the woods during deer hunting seasons,make sure you are wearing something orange on.A orange plastic vest can be bought at really any store in the area. My wife makes me wear one when I'm cutting wood. I'm kinda down in the middle of Maine. Will be cold in the mornings,probably below freezing,but might be in the high 60's at high noon. You will notice the difference in temps from Oct than 6 weeks later.
Must be doing this for a large land owner,paper company?

Exactly.  Running lines that are 14 miles long.  We're all looking forward to it!  New trees, new terrain, new critters (humans, too), new weather....can't wait!

snowstorm

if its northweastern me you might want to learn to speak french

Thank You Sponsors!