iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log cutting without sawing?

Started by Francis Nabrink, December 17, 2018, 09:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyman

For 2,000,000 per month, assuming 5 day week, 10 hrs/day, that's about 170 per minute (3 per second).  Assuming 15' logs that's about 8 logs a minute (that's a logging truck every 5 minutes or so).  This is all for one plant, which would need to have a feed system something like the mill shown in this video (looks like it may be up to twice as fast, hard to tell).  You might get some ideas from the video on cutting as well, where they cut-to-length.  Logistically, it may be better to have a number of smaller firewood type units scattered around though. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1eWUby71Ew

mike_belben

Multi blades on an arbor shaft is what im thinking too.  Feed the log at it sideways like an old buzz saw except you feed it whole logs.  Practically speaking they may need to be hand cut to a shorter standardized length like 8ft or so. The downside to making the arbor long enough for whole logs is the shaft would have to get quite thick to endure a long unsupported span.  Or it would need some bearing supports along its length which would reduce log diameter that can clear the bearings or require bigger saw OD.  

Id build it off a diesel truck engine. 855 cummins or something locally plentiful and and simple enough for jungle laborers to maintain. Its okay if you have excess horsepower on hand.  The engine will just live longer.   Id use a truck tranny and driveshaft too. No belts to break, just grease the Ujoints and check oil. 
Praise The Lord

TKehl

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'd be nervous about cutting with multiple blades on one shaft.  What happens when one of those blocks gets cocked and wedged between two blades...

Now a similar setup where logs roll down a line with multiple saws each taking a bite at a time (or one off each end) dropping to a conveyor.  That would put out some volume...
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

mike_belben

The log loader wont allow it.  You have 3 bladed stars on a revolving shaft that grabs the log out of the feeder, walks it into the saw arbor and drops the pieces onto the outfeed chute while simultaneously grabbing next log. Youd have two stars per blade so as to cradle each bucked round for the last few seconds before they drop down, which prevent ejecting pieces that dont wanna fall perfectly square and kinda toggle between blades. 

Scrag mills use this sort of feeder to gang trim pallet stock. 
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

I don't know why, but I was just thinking about this thread the other day and came back to see if anything became of it. I see the OP has not been back in a while. Was curious as to what he came up with to suit his need. I guess I will never know.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Doeslyr

Quote from: Francis Nabrink on December 17, 2018, 09:33:49 AM
I would like some ideas on log cutting. I am starting a business that would require almost 2 milion of logs cut every month, to be used in charcoal production.
I am reluctant in using a saw, as I think that a lot of wood would go to waste. My plan is to use a straight blade and a hydraulic press. Do you know any place where a can look more about the subjetct?
To be clear, I need to cut the logs, not split it!
It's called a Bell Pincher, feller buncher.

Gearbox

Paper mills use log saws . 2 blades per shaft 8 inch blocks you need lots of shafts .That big of logs would need a 40 in saw
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!