iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Corinth portable sawmill- “Sawmobile”

Started by Scarnhorst91, September 07, 2019, 01:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarnhorst91

Looking for information, photos and advice on this mill. I've looked everywhere online and can't seem to find information on these mills.

About 5 months ago I came into my grandfather old sawmill that I had been after for awhile. I'm trying to get it back into running usable shape. I myself have been around sawmills my whole life just never really ran one up until recently. I grew up watching my grandfather run a meadows portable and would work summers behind it stacking and driving the loader. He got out of sawing around 2011. I bought a woodmizer lt-15 new in 2016 trying to get back into it the family tradition. As much as I like my band mill I wanted a circle mill as that was what I had seen growing up. Long story short my grandfather had sold one of his sawmobiles to his friend and he kept running it up until the middle of 2018, he had bought a less whore out mill. I was able to bring the old mill home and I'm now trying to fix it up. I wasn't really around when he ran it. was wondering if anyone still ran these old mills as I haven't been able to find any information on them. I'll attach some photos as soon as I figure out how to properly use the forum.

Thanks

dgdrls

Welcome  Scarnhorst91.

look forward to seeing your mill.

I used the google machine and found these images

D

Ron Wenrich

That looks pretty much like a Jackson mill.  I run one of those for many years, and it was a portable automatic.  They made portable hand mills back in the '50s.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

luap

Interesting how google works. Your photos are of a mill for sale on UP cl located in Menominee county.

Banjo picker

Used to be a sawmill manufacturer in Corinth Mississippi.   Bet it was made there.  The old building was tore down several years ago.  Corinth is about 20 miles west of me.  There is still a manufacturer in Corinth but I dont think it is the same people.  I buy my banding from them
  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Scarnhorst91

Thanks for the welcome and the photos, looks a lot like my mill. Been trying to figure out how to upload my photos but I can't seem to. Is there a secret button somewhere? I'm using a iPhone to post.

btulloh

That's a popular question.  :)

Down at the bottom of the last forum you'll find "how to post photos". It's very helpful. There is a little learning curve. 

I find it a little more difficult from the iPhone. It's easier to see what you're doing on a desktop or an iPad. 

It's probably better to switch from the mobile site to the full site on your phone for posting pictures. 

It's really not that bad, it's just a learning curve. You'll figure it out.  8)
HM126

Scarnhorst91

I believe I've figured out the photos. I've attached a couple photos of my mill. It's a work in progress.

Scarnhorst91

Yeah I'll have to check it out. I keep having trouble with the file types not being compatible. I tried uploading some idk if anyone else can see them though. I appreciate the advice!

btulloh

Progress!

Some file types are not acceptable, but the main ones are. 

Just another hint before you get scolded: links are not allowed. You need to put the picture in your post. 
HM126

Scarnhorst91

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

btulloh

HM126

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Congrats on getting the sawmill and posting the pictures.

Note that you would need to either post or delete any uploaded photos that you have not posted.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dana Stanley

That's a dandy! I can't for the life of me see how it works, but it looks well maintained. Can't wait to see what you can do with it.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Ron Wenrich

When we made our portable stationary, we put it on a concrete slab.  Way easier than blocking and you didn't have to worry about wet conditions.  We also had outriggers for support.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Nebraska

Yep, that should be video worthy. When you get it running.

dgdrls

Quote from: luap on September 09, 2019, 12:40:00 PM
Interesting how google works. Your photos are of a mill for sale on UP cl located in Menominee county.
:-X :-X :-X  :)
D

Woodpecker52

Nice mill and powered right, GM Detroit diesel, looks like a 671 " Big Bertha". Loved to open up the side cylinder covers and look inside.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

BUGGUTZ

Oh Man! That is awesome! I'm a bit jealous of the Jimmy.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Scarnhorst91

Hello all, took some photos today to kind of show how the mill works. Seeing a meadow carriage growing up this mill does look really different compared to that. Instead of having wheels on the  carriage it has roller bearings for a track, I looked up Jackson Lumber harvester as mentioned above and it is a spot on twin. (Beside being a left handed mill)???  The photos I posted are misleading, the mill is very used, mostly the head blocks and set work are "usable" at best. I painted it as soon as I got it. I only have a little Lincoln 220 welder that's why it by my house now. In the photos I've added it shows the carriage on both ends of the mill. It's easier to see that way. Btw the power unit is a Detroit 4-71. Hope it can pull it!

Scarnhorst91

Update, I got a meadows stand rule today!!... I also had a question if anyone could help? My mill was converted to hydraulic feed along time ago but the control valve is gone. I was told that if you didn't have special kind of valve you'd break cables all the time on the carriage. Does anyone know off hand what kind of control valve I'd need to get? Thanks!! 

moodnacreek

What they are saying is you want a motor spool style valve. This should allow the carriage to coast when the valve is in neutral. This is the way a mechanical feed works. You use the opposite direction for a brake. I am not sure that this is the absolute best valve to have but they are not really that expensive and it's always nice to have a new spool valve that does not leak. Surplus center is where I would buy it.   Keep you ears open to other suggestions as I would think some valves throttle better than others. [ and keep us posted]

Scarnhorst91

Yeah that makes sense,a sudden stop would be hard on the old carriage. I watched a few videos on different types of control valves but wasn't sure which kind sawmills used. I'll be sure to check that place out that you mentioned. I'm hoping for a "best cheap" valve. I went to rural king just to kind of see what they carried and prices. I don't think they can help me....lol

Thank You Sponsors!