iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbery sawmill purchase

Started by Mikebilt, December 31, 2015, 05:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikebilt

Hey guys as a new member of FF I just want to say [if a person can't find an answer HERE you don't need one] . I just pulled the trigger on a m285. I trust my instincts as to build quality and usability but my only concern is that there is little in technical info online and so if there is anyone who has one or have operated one any thing I can glee from that would make it easier to sleep at least until it arrives.  Thanks
Timbery m285, Kubota B6000
Pleasures of working with wood include the heart, mind, the hand,and eyes.

thecfarm

Mikebilt,welcome to the forum.
Probably can't find much because they are so simple of a mill. Not much can go wrong with an all manual mill.
What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Mike,

Welcome to the FF. Please update your profile to show where you are from. May help answer some questions.

My WM mill came from the NC office and they also sell Timbery there as I understand. They may respond if you have specific questions. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mikebilt

Quote from: thecfarm on December 31, 2015, 07:01:32 PM
Mikebilt,welcome to the forum.
Probably can't find much because they are so simple of a mill. Not much can go wrong with an all manual mill.
What's the plan for the lumber?
mostly for furniture. .

Magicman

Hello and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mikebilt.  Congrats on the sawmill decision.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

Congrats on the new mill!  How long will you have to wait?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mikebilt!

You must be somewhere in the same area as Forestry Forum member "Sandhills".
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

5quarter

Mikebilt...Welcome. You must be out around Scotts bluff?

Quote from: thecfarm on December 31, 2015, 07:01:32 PM
...Not much can go wrong with an all manual mill.
please tell that to my mill...it apparently never got the memo.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Mikebilt

Thank you all for the (welcome aboards :D )
Yes I'm close to scottsbluff,  NE. We have a rich (old west & pioneer ) history and a very diverse scenic landscape,  everything from wide open Prarie to river valleys, pine ridge hills and towering vistas. Right on the old oregon trail.  It's always been home and I wouldn't trade.  Just got a call from the freight co. And they say it will be here Wednesday late morning.  The anticipation is terrible.  I will try to take some pictures through the process of assembly and try to figure out how to post.   Thanks again for the welcomes. Eery

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

samandothers

Congratulations on new mill!  Like a kid at Christmas expecting Santa to bring a new toy!  Welcome to the Forum.

tmarch

Welcome Mikebilt, we are almost neighbors, I'm on the pine ridge south of Crawford.  I have a Ezboardwalk model 40.  PM me if you want to talk and I'll give you my phone #.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Mikebilt

Update : the mill finally found its way to my place
It was a bit of a fiasco on the part of the shipping
Company. First of all they sent a 53' tractor trailer
To a residential delivery. Next the skid it was on
Was loaded the wrong direction for the lift gate. Then it was about 500 lbs over the capacity for the lift gate mean while I am at work my two sons are trying to help the driver any way they can. If this isn't enough my wife (very nervous wife :-[ ) is watching through the front door. She practically melted my phone with pics and text messages.   Bright side is this is a small town and the whole street department showed with a small industrial tractor to help unload. (With a sly phone call from myself claiming that they missed a snow drift in front of my driveway  :D ) long story short no damage and the motor is very quiet.  Hope to get to assemble it Monday or Tuesday.  So far I am impressed with the simple yet ingenious design and construction I think it will work well for me.  But as we all know the proof is waiting in the log to be unwrapped.

tmarch

Good luck and waiting for pictures. :)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

VictorH

Congrats Mikebilt and welcome to the forum!!  Enjoy your new adventure.  Looking forward to seeing pics

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mikebilt

Well fellas I finally got her together and milled some russian olive,  red cedar, walnut, and Chinese elm, also a bit of honey locust.  I sure am glad I bought this mill it will work for what I want to do. Cut a 1/8" × 7" x7' piece just to see if it would, it does great until the snow and ice melt from under the stabilizer jacks.  ;D I have pictures but don't know how to post. Any help or advice is welcome. I only log on with my phone, maybe that's my problem. 

Signed: happy so far mike

sawmilljoe

Congrats on the milling you now have the mill bug your wife will not see you much for the next little while.

azlumber

Congrats on the new saw.
They sure look great and have similar attributes as Norwood. I keep going back and forth between the two. I had a quick response from Norwood including a detailed quote but nothing from Timbery. I have called and left messages, emailed them but nothing. I hope they are still around and this not typical.
What was the clincher for you?
Timbery M285 or Norwood Lumber Pro HD36. Since there are none close to visit I totally rely on FF members and the internet for guidance.
AZlumber

Mikebilt

The deciding factor for me azlumber was pricing for standard features plus I like the heft of the frame rails. I know there are a lot of norwood guys on FF that love their machines and norwood offers many upgrades and accessories but for me in western nebraska  the 28 inch diameter x 17' capacity is good enough for me.  I'm surprised that you have not been contacted by them. I learned that the two gentlemen I dealt with are also the saw team that was at the last two shootouts, Jacob and Chad they treated me well in fact when my mill arrived I was missing the lug nuts after letting them know they shipped them right away and threw in a free box of blades for my inconvenience.  Good luck with your decision.

Whitehair

Well it's been a year now since you've had you Timbery M285, and I'm sure you've put it thru it's paces by now. I'm considering the M285 myself (haven't pulled the trigger yet - but my finger is itching). How satisfied are you with the mill? Would it be possible to put an elec winch on the loader to make larger logs easier? Any thoughts or recommendation before I dive in would be greatly appreciated.

RubenTimberArts

I have been using a M285 for a few months.   Like others have stated the delivery was a fiasco and local dealer did very very little to prep for it.  Ensure you have pallet forks on your tractor.   Don't pay for the extra gate fee.
Assembly was ok, instructions have a long way to come, but after getting it together it works, ok. Order toe boards to start with. 

Every concern and issue i have had with it, i bring up with Timbery, they tell me it's normal or something similar to go away.  
I have high expectations of quality so possibly I need to de tune my thoughts about it.

I cut on it almost every day lately, so I'm using and learning it well.  Buyers remorse over a Norwood, possibly, but did not have a chance to play with the Norwood's. 

Thank You Sponsors!