iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber frame or stick frame

Started by John_Haylow, October 04, 2009, 08:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rig

I've been a timber frame builder and a general contractor for 20 years. I've tracked the cost of homes built conventionally and with a timber frame.

In general, the timber frame costs more because the frame needs to be wrapped with some kind of wall for insulation. As a rule of thumb, the extra cost is about that of the timber frame itself, if all the interior and exterior finishes are of the same quality.

I've learned to stay away from hybrid buildings, where part of it is timber framed and and integrated part of it is panel or stick construction. A hybrid is more costly and less appealing than a pure timber frame, properly designed.

As with any kind of building method, the cost and efficiency depends on the quality of design and the skill of the builder. There are many ways a skilled timber frame builder can keep the costs down for a timber frame home, and many blunders by inexperienced designers and builders that lead to excessive costs.

The other factor that increases the cost of a timberframe home is that once you begin to see a high quality building, you tend to opt for the better flooring, better cabinets, and better fixtures. I've seen it happen many times. The up side of this Upgrading is that you wind up with a very nice place, with a high resale value.

Thank You Sponsors!