iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Woodmizer?

Started by Oregon_Sawyer, April 19, 2003, 12:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oregon_Sawyer

I have a used LT70 "without remote" with my name on it.  Portland branch doesn't have it in yet.

Today I made an offer to lease a 6000sq ft building.  The Cyclone system is already in. There is a Factory built "Peerless" Chip bin and a homemade sawdust bin.  3 phase is in.  Bathroom and a separate office on site.

So here is my question for all of your wisdom:
Do I quit going mobile and buy a electric powered mill?
Do I buy a 300? (There may be a used one of these available to  me)

I have been mobile for almost 5 years.  I am one of the few in the area that will go to a job site.  I have seen the benefit of being in one place and having the logs brought to me.  The falldown lumber can sometimes be quite a extra bonus.

I beleive I can keep busy without moving but it's hard to make that change as it cuts out an option.

Bibby talk to me :-/  And Julia my wife likes to have NOTHING to do with the mill,  except depost the money :D :D
Remember this is not full time for me.  I have 8 more years of union work before I retire.  I do have my son-in-law starting to work for me.

Thanks for all of your idea's and wisdom
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Bibbyman

You've posted a tough question.  

I'd think the LT300 would imply too much mill for the part time you'd have to devote to it until your "retire".  The LT300 is meant to have a steady diet of volumes of logs on the input side and market on the output side and a couple of guys helping feed it.

The still mobile LT70 would allow you to do custom sawing of other people's logs that will be their own customer for the lumber.  Better suited for part time.

For years we set our LT40 mill up in the sawshed so we could pull it out and take it on the road if we wanted to.  Once we set it up in the shed,  we found we had enough custom sawing come to us plus developed enough orders for lumber from logs we bought to keep it at home.  We found we only pulled it out to saw remote 4-5 times in as many years.  

You're best bet may be to do something like we did.   Get the LT70 and the facility.  Set it up so you can pull the mill out when you get a good mobile cutting job.  But have a place where you can saw logs brought to you or saw your own product.  You could set it up so an LT300 could bolt in place later on when you get ready to retire and go to sawing full time.

If you are ready to stationary and 3ph,  and the near-new LT70 and used LT300 were about the same price,  I'd probably go LT300.

Both these mills would benefit from support equipment like live log deck, out feed conveyors,  sorters, and edger. Our LT40HDE25 Super can produce more than our support – manpower, equipment. We've got plans to upgrade out support but just ain't had time.

Don't think I can help you with Julia.  Mary is an old farm girl and loves to work outside.  She didn't know anything about trees, logs, sawmill or lumber when we started.  She didn't mind helping.  But I think it was later that she found she liked woodworking and started making a few things – first on a scroll saw I got her for Christmas. Then she wanted and got a router.  From there she got more interested in running the sawmill and the business.  One thing that helped,  she quit her job as an accountant.  Running the sawmill is one way she can stay at home and run her own life.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Oregon_Sawyer,

Leasing a 6000' building and buying even a used LT300, sounds like a financial stretch for a part time sawyer. ???

If you broke down your payments into weekly amounts, could you generate at least twice that amount each week?

I'm not trying to crush your plans, but just give you something to think about. ::)

ElectricAl

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

ADfields

I played with an LT-70 some last month and I would say it will flat cut some wood!! :o   I would go with that and pipe the exhaust out of the shop till you know how much portable work you end up doing.   It could be set up so you back it in your shop and are cutting in 10 minuets or so.
Andy

Frank_Pender

Hey ya, Loren, it sounds like you are talking yourself  into a permanent setup, rather than all of the traveling.  It is much nicer.  thanks for the reference of seeing a permanent setup without mentioning my name.  By the way, give me  a call, I would like to visit the site before you sign your life away.  One thing for sure, is that Julia will not have to put up with all the scrap in her front yard after you get your new house started on the farm this summer.  Besides, the mill site in town will give you a place to go and get away from all the work around the house? ;D  I hope you ave fun trying to find all the eggs today.   8)    Also, Bill and a friend of his stopped by yester just before I had to leave to the Oregon Gardens and set for two hours at the Watershed learning booth.   They chose the logs to be sawed and decided I could haul them to his site North of Salem, today.  His friend has a machine like yours, to make sawdust. :'(  So, the only thing I get to do is sell some very big logs.  I cut them 8' 6" total scale is 820 bd ft (Scribner)
Frank Pender

Oregon_Sawyer

Thanks Bibbyman!  I figure I won't be moving as I think I will get all the work I need just like your experince.  

Julia thinks I should stay with the mobile for the option of moving.  Julia was raised on a 2000 acre grassseed farm.  She likes to work outside but, she wants to be on the mower or painting or moving rocks.  She doesn't want to have the sawdust in her hair (I quess)  Really she doesn't like me telling her to do something. :D

The price difference is only about $6,000 so it makes it harder to decide.  If the differnce was more it would be easy.  It looks like I am going to get log endfeed and lumber outfeed equipment just for the cost of moving it.  Which I can do with the equipment I have

Frank:  Thanks for the note I will give you a call.  It's fine if someone else cuts that order it was going to be a Pain.
Your right, Julia doesn't want the scrap in front of the new house, which is coming together finally.  Getting bids this week.

Al:  Even though its parttime it will make the money needed with only a couple days cutting a week.  The other part of the story, which Frank knew, is that the boss say's "I am not going to see this sawmill site every time I drive in the driveway to my new house.  Either move to the back of the ranch or find another location."  We will be living at the end of a private gravel road shared by 4 other homes.  So far no complaints but if I start to bring in 1 to 2 loads of logs in every week I am sure they will start.  Besides I can't fit anything else in my barn.

Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Frank_Pender

Loren, I think it only appropriate that since I have had such a large part in your life of having your son in my class that I should also have a part in your new home.   There, I feel that you should have at least some Douglas Fir lumber as part of your new home.  What shall it be?  I know!  How about a very nice matle piece?  Or, beter yet, the very first slab that I cut with the "slabber.  Now that is a pice of wood.  You could use that for your kitchen area eating counter.  It is 32
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

DanG it any how.  I hit the wrong Dang button.  :-X ,,,"wide and almost 14' long.  You could all of the family up to it at once, for every meal.  Or, we could saw a special piece more to Julia's liking.  That's what it is going to be anyway. ;D

If you need help moving that equipment let me know.  Some of it could get diverted, so be careful who you have help. :D  If there is some that you may not have need for let me know I can move that very easily for you. 8)
Frank Pender

Bibbyman

For $6,000 more I'd think I'd go for the LT300 then.  Especially with the support equipment thrown in.  The LT300 has an "industrial strength" hydraulic system with a 7.5hp 3ph pump.  I think also the head drive motors are AC.

How many hours are on the LT300?   Is Wood-Mizer going to check it out and refurbish it where needed?
Sawing since '94

D._Frederick

The Lt 300 would not be a one man sawmill, you should plan on having help to off-bear. Climbing off and on the control station a half dozen times for each log would be a killer.

Bibbyman

The only way would be to use the board dragback onto a conveyor and onto a collection chain.  Saw one or two logs and then sort out the mess. :D
Sawing since '94

Percy

You have quite the dilenema :D there Loren, either way(LT70/300) would work, Im thinkin. Ill give a plugg for the mobility thing though. Im about 800 miles strait north from you and I do a fair amount of mobile stuff. Some of the best deals I ever made were of the mobile variety. I have never seen a LT300 run  but just got my LT70 remote and the thing is a monster. Im intimidated all to hell right now and my production is way low compared to the old blister but when I get the hang of all the  features, I should get it done  in a hurry..heh..

Anyhow, we should all be so lucky as to have the same difficult decision you have.
Good luck
Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Fla._Deadheader

Hi Percy. Welcome to the "real" wood cuttin forum. I seen ya postin "over the fence". Sounds like you have a fine set-up also. ;) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Oregon_Sawyer

There is a show at the Portland office week after next.  I am going to see if I can get onthe controls of a 300.  It's no fun just looking anymore.

The 300 will be gone thru my WM.

I'll probably stay will the 70 but set the support equipment so I can plug in a 300 later.  Of course there will be something bigger and better by then ;D

I getting bids on the house right now and Julia thinks I should concentrate on that.  I keep telling her the mill is helping pay for the house.

I am working up the log home package that I am supplying to meself.  It looks like it would have cost me almost 90,000 if I didn't have the mill.  NICE BONUS for the last 5 years.  Thats after the mill paid it's own way.

Thanks for the input.  I'll keep you posted with the progress and deceisions.

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum Percy,

We'll be wanting to hear more about your LT70.  Hope you can get some pictures to post.

I hear that the hydraulic controls on the LT70 remote are electric and it gives them a different feel from the direct valves on the LT40/30 mills.
Sawing since '94

Percy

Ya Bibby,thanks for the welcome, I hope to get a digital camera soon, gonna take regular pics and havem put on cd.

On the LT70 remote hydralic controls, you are correct. They are full on/full off, no cheating like the direct controls. I had a cedar 8X8 clamped and decided to lower the new fangled clamp a tad so as I wouldnt cut it and it ripped the cant in half. I gotta learn the "touch'. Im still playing my lips quite abit with this thing but am starting to get the hang of at least a few things. The turner rules 8) 8).

RMay

Percy is that you in the new Wood-Mizer news 8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Percy

Sheesh..I dunno. I did send WM HQ some pics and they were quizing about the edger. Nice lady on the phone(Nikki I think) said they may use the pics for somthing..We had a nice chat. That was way back in the winter.Forgot allabout it. Havent got the WM news yet...Mebey its another Percy :D :D

Oregon_Rob

QuoteThere is a show at the Portland office week after next. quote]

Do you have any detials about the show, when and where?

Rob
Chainsaw Nerd

Oregon_Sawyer

Rob:

It will be next Sat all day at the Wood Village branch.  They will be demonstrating most all of the equipment WoodMizer has except the 300.
I was going to bring logs to cut on it and then they called and told me they wouldn't be setting it up they have to have it ready to ship to Arizona and be set up before Tuesday.

Call the branch for more information.

Oregon_Sawyer

I brought this post back as an update.  Many of you know I bought a LT70.  (It's a walk behind not a remote) I have now put about 100 hrs on it.  I still grab the wrong levers but I am getting better with it.  

Last week I had to take it in for a small repair and I picked up the seat for the mill. I got to use it a little this weekend.  I think even when I am running it by myself it is going to help with the fatigue of walking back and forth.

This weekend I moved the mill to the buildings that I had tied up earlier.  There is more work to be done but we got the roll up door fixed and set up my mill in the building that has ventalation (no doors ;D)  

Here are some pictures:

The first is a picture of the office building (to be moved where a old shed is being torn down) and the Sawdust bunker.

This one of the buildings  40x60 with concrete floor, 3 phase and cyclone system that works 8):

The second one is a 60 x 60.

Here is the mill that is in the second building.  I know you guys like old sawmills.

The old mill goes away and my mill is in that building.  

The first building will have trim saws, lumber storage and the new to me Woods 4 head moulder.

Loren

Stephen_Wiley

Loren,

Looks like my previous visit is now history. ::)  Will have to bring my camera for the next visit. Maybe you can keep up with the cutting speed riding in the chair.  :D :D :D

Will be nice to have the buildings (during winter months)........but sure liked the open air of your previous set up !!!

Do you get use of the 'chip bin' ?

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Oregon_Sawyer

Sunday it was really storming and i was cutting inside after dark 8) 8)

Tuesday night my girls and I were able to resaw my perlins after dark while it was raining outside.  I would never have been able to do this at the ranch.

Yes I get to use the bunker.(I already have)

Loren

Stump Jumper

hi oregon sawer does that LT70 have an auto clutch? my LT40 with the 42 hp kabota came with the armstrong clutch. ??? ???  after 100hrs sawing i had a pop-pie arm. :D :D  I ordered and instaled the auto clutch now thats nice to have. 8) 8) i would recemend it to anyone with the armstrong clutch and heavy engine. 8) 8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Oregon_Sawyer

Yes it has an auto clutch.  Boy am I glad.  I was starting to have problems with my right elbow.

I am still learning how to use the chain turner.  You can tear a log up if you are not careful.

On cants I use the two-plane clamp to turn.  It's faster.

Loren

Thank You Sponsors!