iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

flannel lined pants

Started by momark, December 05, 2013, 02:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Back in the mid 90's I lived on the north coast of B.C. and in the department store there (Zellers) there was shelves of heavy long johns by Stanfields and rag wool pants by Big Bill. I still have those items and wear'm every winter. Never wore them out. I also ordered direct from Stanfield's in NS a couple years ago for a couple suits of wool underwear. I'll never need a new set of woolies for the rest of my time. :D But a suit of that stuff is around $85 I think. But if you want good stuff you have to pay. I don't want Asian junk. I like wool and don't mind paying if it's made on our own shores.  :) Work pants I have to buy Big Bills (Poly/cotton), as that Asian stuff is too small, crotch is all wrong and everything about them is wrong. That includes Dickies.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

celliott

Quote from: Dusty Rhodes on December 12, 2013, 09:11:28 PM
Tell me how I can order heavy wool pants for $20.  I will gladly pay for the shipping!:) 

Dusty, keep your eye out at yard sales in the summer-Not the "time" to buy wool clothing, but sometimes you get lucky and find stuff in your size, typically at much less than retail.
Also, search on craigslist, there is typically deals to be had on wool jackets, pants, etc. for much less than retail, just have to get lucky with your size.
There is multiple Johnson woolen mills jackets on VT CL for less than 50 bucks.
I think the only wool item I own that was purchased new was a woolrich shirt- christmas gift.
Wool clothes just happen to find us I guess. All the pants I have were given to me  :)
It's spoiled me so I won't buy new stuff! But I still love anything wool, it is great.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Dusty Rhodes

CElliott, Thats good info.  I will indeed, though I don't get around to the yards sales much but I know someone who does and I will have them looking.  I used to have a heavy pair of Wool pants that were my father in-laws.  When he quit hunting he gave them to me.  Though they were pretty worn out they were still warm.  Finally bit the dust a few years ago and have missed them.  Got lucky and have found some good wool sweaters over the years. I'll keep my eyes out for a good pair of pants. 

trapper

Target stores sell merino wool sweaters.  I go in the spring when they have them at 75% off and buy all they have in my size. Keep them in plastic bags in the summer.  Best underwear tops you can find.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Dusty Rhodes

Wore my flannel lined denim last night to move some snow for my Amish neighbor.  Wasn't a big job so used the 4 wheeler with the plow.  My pants get tucked into my Muck boots and all stayed dry and warm.  Guess for our climate the flannel lined pants work well if you can keep them dry.  Low 20's when I was plowing.  Just an FYI, if you have a SAMS club nearby. I bought the denim flannels 2 years ago at SAMS for $14.  Usually cost more than that for regular denim jeans so they were a great buy in my book. I did not look for them this year but was told SAMS got another stack of them in this fall and they sold out within the week.  Not sure what they were asking for them this year.   

SwampDonkey

Back in the day when my grandfather was younger and working like a yarding horse, men of the woods wore wool checkered coats, usually red or green. Then for some reason they stopped making them available around here and made them flannel coats lined with polyester and fill. Unless your in dry 20 degree weather I'd freeze to death in those type of coats. No warmth much if they get wet from snow and the ice starts forming. :D I had one last fall when thinning, I was warmer with a work shirt over wool t-shirt. I hung the flannel up on a tree branch. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

coxy

ya the old wool rich coats and pants were the best  I still have my black and red hunting coat that I got when I was17  it still fits if I don't have any shirts on or don't try to bend my arms or button it up :D my kid uses it to hunt with now   best 120bucks I ever spent  have 4 pair of the fleece pants would not have any thing else in the cold

JohnG28

I like my flannel lined Carhartt pants for working outside in fall/winter weather until they get wet. If they stay dry they're great, and they last a long time. I don't work outside daily so they work well for me for what I do.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

beenthere

Just sent my Woolrich red plaid coat to Goodwill. Couldn't use it to hunt any more as it wasn't blaze orange.

My good wool pants, vest, and coat are from Johnson Woolen mills in northern VT. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BradMarks

I too like my flannel jeans, mine are Carhartt. Think I'm on the 5th pair over the years. We had minus 0 temps about 10 days ago, they worked great. Many people like myself cannot wear any poly or neo materials due to allergic reaction, so all the "new" materials are left to others. Cotton or wool and sweating comes with the territory!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on December 18, 2013, 10:46:29 AM

My good wool pants, vest, and coat are from Johnson Woolen mills in northern VT.

I have a nice red wool coat from there. Very nice coat, well made. This was my uncle's, he passed away last fall. It will last a heck of a long time, even though we have long winters. I feel like a Mounty wearing it. :D :)

Dieselsteve

I like mine I only have one pair there no special brand, Ive had them for a few years now they hold up pretty well I still like my wrangler leather tabs though.

John Mc

Quote from: BradMarks on December 18, 2013, 11:09:30 AM
I too like my flannel jeans, mine are Carhartt. Think I'm on the 5th pair over the years. We had minus 0 temps about 10 days ago, they worked great. Many people like myself cannot wear any poly or neo materials due to allergic reaction, so all the "new" materials are left to others. Cotton or wool and sweating comes with the territory!
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Quote from: BradMarks on December 18, 2013, 11:09:30 AM
... Many people like myself cannot wear any poly or neo materials due to allergic reaction, so all the "new" materials are left to others. Cotton or wool and sweating comes with the territory!

If you can't wear the synthetic materials, you may want to try silk long underwear. They wick water away from your skin (not quite as well as the synthetics, but a whole lot better than cotton, which holds the water near your skin). Wool can get a bit itchy as an inner layer.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

I find silk is better than any synthetics I've used.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I can wear wool and get wet, and never feel anything but warm. ;D

John Mc

Quote from: beenthere on December 25, 2013, 12:55:07 PM
I find silk is better than any synthetics I've used.

Silk feels better to me as an inner liner, but there are a number of synthetics that will wick more moisture faster.  The synthetics I've used tend not to hold up as well as silk, however. Washing or drying at the wrong temperature (or hanging them too close to the camp fire to dry) can destroy their wicking ability, for example. If you are working around fire, silk also has the advantage of not melting and sticking to your skin.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

John Mc

Now the only question is, where do you get silk long underwear these days.  I haven't really looked for it, but the last time I saw it was when I was working as seasonal help at an Eastern Mountain Sports store 20+ years ago (a fun gig, and the store had much more of an "outdoor enthusiast" atmosphere and clientele than most of those I've visited more recently.  I probably spent about double what I earned - that employee discount was hard to pass up.)

SwampDonkey

John it's like trying to find heavy wool long John's, I had to call the company. No stores stock it here.

You know, they do sell silk yarn and many weave with it. But weaving is not the same as a knit fabric, it is not elastic or stretchy when woven, but is if knit.

labdad

I like my flannel lined pants. I have Carharts and they are warm. If I am out splitting wood I'm not sweating much and they keep the wind out, if its too cold I will wear my long johns and then I don't have to wear bibs. Wool is nice and I have wool pants but they are too warm most of the time for the weather we have here.
My equipment
Husky 50 Rancher
Husky 359
Brave 26 ton splitter

Ordinary men have excuses
Extraordinary men have solutions

Arborwear

Dress Like an Onion!

As cold weather approaches people often ask us "How should I dress?" the simplest answer is:  Dress Like an Onion.  What we mean by that is to think in terms of layers.  An onion has many layers, so should anyone working outdoors in cold temperatures.

We like to steer people towards three layers; a base layer, a mid-layer and an outer layer.  Sometimes one layer can perform multiple duties but for the most part during cold weather months it is best to have these three addressed before you head out for work.

The base layer is the next-to-skin-layer.  This is the layer that keeps your skin warm but also should transfer moisture to other layers as you sweat.  Therefore, base layers that wick are the best.  These can be thin long underwear or simple performance Tees but if they move moisture away from the body, they will keep the body dry and warm. These layers are often made of thin merino wool, poly propylene or unique blends that perform well together.  

The next layer, or mid-layer, should be your insulation layer.  This is where the heat resides.  Think of an R-value on insulation for your home. You want something with an R-value that measures up to the coldest weather you may face that time of year.  For some, this layer might be a fleece pullover, a sweatshirt or even a wool sweater.  Again, if this layer wicks moisture, then your sweat keeps getting carried further away from your body which is a good thing.  There are many great insulating textiles.  Some are light and thin and easy to move and some are heavy and bulky but provide serious warmth.

Lastly everyone needs a protective shell or outer layer.  The main purpose is to keep the elements out.  This means wind, rain and snow.  Outer layers can be jackets, parkas, rain gear, snow suits, etc.  Anything that keeps the inner layers dry and something that breaks the wind.  

Another important piece of the puzzle we like to suggest is the ability to easily modify your layering in the field.  By this I mean wearing layers that can unzip or unsnap partially or fully to regulate your temperature quickly.  If it is hard to modify your layering on the spot, then most people will just keep working and "suck it up" for the rest of the day.  

By wearing a sufficient layering system, workers in the field remain more comfortable, more level-headed and less susceptible to injury and temperature-related hazards.  

So, the next time you are gearing up for a cold weather day, think of the onion!
Arborwear
We are makers of honest, hardworking clothing
for people who work hard and play hard outdoors

moodnacreek

Have a few pair of flannel lined jeans for when it's cold indoors. For outdoors I wear fancy Pantagonia long under ware bottoms with carhart  logger double knee blue jeans with heavy button suspenders.  In the woods and away from grease, battery acid etc. it's Johnson wool pants. Just bought a pair in a junk store, green, my size, like new, $12.00 !  My 3rd. pair. My first pair was $28.00. Know they are about $190.00.

Thank You Sponsors!