iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw this on my walk

Started by D Hagens, January 02, 2011, 06:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Hagens

Most of what we see are signs of the past as in outlines of where I would assume trap lines were at one time.
When we get out of this........the concrete jungle and get to the other side we will take some pics and post them.

When you were in Savona did you get any pics there?
B.C has so much to offer, so much to explore and a wonderful history. :)

Paul_H

No pics of Savona but I'll try and get some next time through.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

D Hagens

Pics would be cool Paul :)
Here's some pics of Athelo Tunnels

Athelo tunnels.

Looking down at the river.

Looking up, they used ropes and ladders to get up and down when they blasted the tunnels to make the railroad.

Looking down from a bridge, amazing how the water forms the rocks and boulders over time.  :)

D Hagens

Well we took a side trip to a local park today, it was nice to walk on these that are all around the park.

On the other side where the ponds are they are elevated above them and you can see all the ducks.
We stopped to talk about things and D put her hand out for the camera and look what landed on her. :)

Every time we stopped and she put her hand out another one landed on her. :)

It was the strangest thing I've ever seen. :D

:D :D :D :D Can anyone explain this to me ??? ??? :D :D :D

ellmoe

I'd say those birds are use to finding seeds in outstetched hands. They must have been disappointed. ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

doctorb

I agree.  That is not natural behavior for a bird in the wild.  On the other hand chickadees are one of the boldest birds around, and are known to be easy to train to eat out of your hand.  I have only had two bird species land on my hand to feed, the carolina chickadee and the pine siskin.  They are truely unafraid.  If you have something they want, like sunflower seeds that have no husks, you can train them with some patience.  I know this sounds wierd, but, when they are on your hand, don't swallow.  If they see you swallow, they are gone in a flash.  Great pictures.  I would talk to the natural director of the park.  It's obviously well funded, and has a nature trail feel.  Somebody knows these birds well.  Was it possibly the same bird following you???  Thanks for the pics.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

D Hagens

Hey Mark I agree with you. :D Next week I'm gluing seeds to her hat and praying for eagles to take her away. :) :)

Doctorb, nope don't think it was the same bird following us :D There's hundreds of them and the park is out in the boons where we live. All around our place is trees and ponds just like the park but none of these birds. :o
I'm thinking that these birds are fed by bird watchers as it's a great place to watch nature.
Hey there's a park on the Sunshine Coast that has a huge shallow lake that's full of turtles because people buy them and do the dump and run and over the years there's a few hundred there that have bred over the years........true story too :D
I will post some pics of the turtles soon. 8)

Woodcarver

I've had chickadees land on my head and on my rifle barrel while sitting on a deer stand.  One once landed on the bill of my cap and hung peeking under it to look at me more or less eye to eye.  They are bold as doctorb said....as long as you are motionless.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

D Hagens

Well last August I was working on the Sunshine Coast and as usual I made some time take a look around for places to grab a few hours of walking. I stumbled across a pullout along a dead end road and spotted this trail.

I walk for about an hour and saw this pond/lake and noticed this guy.

And these two.

And this guy swimming around catching bugs.

From what I understand back in the days when you could buy turtles as pets kids would buy them and when they got too big they would bring them down here and let them go.
I assume it was more the Fathers ditching the pets or making turtle soup out of them :D

sprucebunny

Thanks for the great pictures ! I love boardwalks thru the woods. It's my ultimate dream for my land to build a boardwalk out by the beaver dam. I may never get it done but thats my dream.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

D Hagens

That would be a cool dream to make come true Sprucebunny :)
Do you have any pics of the beaver dam?

timerover51

Quote from: sprucebunny on February 18, 2011, 09:23:48 PM
Nice old tugboat.
I always wanted to live on/remodel one of those.
Thanks for the pictures. It looks like an interesting place to live !

Sprucebunny, if you check on some of the boat sale sites, you can find a fair number of older tugs for sale as live aboards.  This company that I have been working with is not that far from you in Maine.  http://www.midcoastboat.com/

With respect to the house on the barge, that is done a fair amount in Europe and the UK, where the rivers and canals are used a lot for shipping.

Jeff

If you look back far enough over Joan's posts you will find that she used to work as a boat builder on the east coast.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

I've regressed  :D I'd rather cut wood with a chainsaw or sawmill than make fussy cuts in very expensive wood. I'm hoping to thin my fleet and build up my rough lumber supply.

The odd thing about that link, timerover, is that that broker is based in the town my parents lived in !

D Hagens, I'll get some pictures the next time I get to the beaver dams.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

D Hagens

Today we went to U.B.C to get some surgery done on Darla's mouth, painful for her but I'm feeling fine :D
We planned to go to Pacific Spirit Park which is on the endowment lands of U.B.C, it's not like a park with swings and stuff like that. The trails are more like made by people that just trex through the bush and make it down to the ocean.
This is at the top and like a mountain goat you have to make it to the bottom :)

We started here, pretty easy going.

Then it started to go downhill.

I stopped taking pics as it got really steep and I had to help Darla get over a bunch of wind fall :)
Here's a waterfall that's on the way down, wanted to get clocer but the cliff thing wasn't going to happen as we left the climbing gear in her van.

K I  know that this is silt, clay and hard pan but what causes this ??? Erosion is the first thing that pops in my mind but possible a slide ???

And here we are at the ocean :) Really, really windy down here!
Lots of bull rushes here, really nice to see. Eagles flying, wish I didn't leave the other camera in the van as it has a telephoto with it.

And on the way up we passed my fa stump :) Nursing stumps always amaze me :)

Oh BTW for those of us that burn through batts with our cameras I've used them all and so far I've found that Panasonic batts last the longest.

D Hagens

So I decided that the week had enough stress so we thought that we should take off for the day :)
The weather man lies and we started off with this :D

This is Kilby lake, Pulled in here for a bit.

This is a pic on the way, really nice going through the valley where the memories of farming come back to me :)

This trip was a bit of a short one for us, just over 400 km. On the way there's many of these on the way up.

After Kilby we went to Harrison Hot Springs, my brother is getting married there in August :) I'm pretty sure that this is glacier water as the colour is blue and green.

I think it was 1875 that this guy was in his canoe and stumbled along this hot spring and he turned it in to a spa. The spa burnt down a few years later and it was never rebuilt.
The hot water is piped under the lake now and is used for a therapeutic spa for like them rich people :D
Here are the pics of the captured hot springs.

This is my other wife, she knows directions 8) 8) 8)

The eagles along the way really helps take me away from it all...............

This is on the other side of Harrison Lake.

We stopped at Vedder River on the the way to kick back and stretch our legs.

It's been a very long week and it sure was nice to have a day to myself with no customers in my ear 8) 8)

sawguy21

Thanks for the pictures. We never get tired of this area.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WildDog

Really nice pics, certainly a nice back drop to the lake, I would like to get out on it in my canoe.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

D Hagens

D Hagens

As we woke up to a wonderful sunny morning we thought we would go to the U.B.C Forestry Research Center 8) When we got there we were told at the gate that there's no dogs or mountain bikes allowed :o Like what a joke, can a dog do damage to waterfalls and designated trails for walking on ::) ::)
  So we headed out down to here :)

This park is huge, great big lake all the way along it :)

I go sailing here lots, it's a very big lake and there's always a perfect wind :)
  Here's our dog Willow :) Looks like he just woke up :)

We rescued him, he was abused and so frightened of every noise and I wish that.........no that would be bad to think those things about people that take their frustrations out on those that don't have a voice.......
  K like he can't go through a doorway unless he's on a leash, don't know what that's all about but I'm sure he will figure it out :)
He loves to swim, after a few months of being with us he comes when called and does very well on car rides :)
Can you say fetch :D

And swim for that stick 8)

This is Gold River in the park.

And here's the pooch in the river. It was funny as he's no idea what a current's all about but he found out today that it dragged him down river for a bit till he figured out that swimming to shore works great :D 8)

On the way back there's a lake that has no name, it's a cool place to just relax.
We saw these geese with their little family :) :)

D Hagens

http://youtu.be/V57iOJdWx3I This a test for vids............hope it works :)

K so that was easier then posting pics :)

Sorry about the vid being so bad, never tried it on the cam so I have a learning curve to deal with :)

Thank You Sponsors!