iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Basswood are flowering

Started by sprucebunny, July 15, 2008, 08:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

These trees aren't very common around here and they seem very different; almost tropical to me. The map on the included link shows that they grow in a wide range of climates.
Do you have a picture of an element of the life cycle of this tree that you could add ?

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=TIAM&photoID=tiam_009_avp.jpg

It has an interesting smell, very faint.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dodgy Loner

Those are some pretty prolific blooms.  The ones around here don't make nearly as many.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Mine are not opened up yet like sprucebunny's. But the blooms are abundant/prolific on my trees. Not as heavy set as in sprucebunny's though. I also discovered the one basswood I have on my woodlot is flowering for the first time this year.

Are those the native American basswood or European in your picture? My wild ones I transplanted to the yard have a strong smell, much like orange blossoms. You need to be close to them to get a strong whiff. They are not real common up here, but not rare either.

Mmmm the smell of basswood blooms.  :)

I think Corley5 has a lot in his woods and Gary_C has cut a lot of them as well.

However, it does not grow as far north as indicated on your map. The USDA has a more specific map of it's range somewhere on their site.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

Here is one further along from last year.

SwampDonkey

Basswood fruit. They have a nut-like seed.

SwampDonkey

Seed take 2 or more years to germinate and cotyledons are palmate (5 -lobed). Growth is rapid, rooting is deep and wide spreading and very wind firm. Leaves were found to have highest contest of calcium and magnesium of 24 tree species studied and leaves yield a significant amount of N-P-K, considered a good soil improver.

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Don P

The only part of the life cycle I have handy at the moment is later and squarer, and planed  ;D

Basswood was an early bast (fiber) source for thread and rope and woven goods from the stringy inner bark, that's where the name comes from.

Checking on an old friend the other day I found out that Carl Linnaeus's last name comes from linne' ... linden, the basswood. He was the fellow that created the scientific latin binomial naming system we still use today.

Thank You Sponsors!