iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New 2 forum

Started by buckhunter, June 05, 2014, 09:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckhunter

Been following site for a month or so, after alot of research and videos my son and I purchased a Norwood MN26 yesterday. Should be delivered  middle of next week. We are excited and will be needing tips.
Norwood MN26 (13hp) Husky 455 Rancher

2B1ASK1

Andy White

buckhunter,
Welcome to the forum. This is the place for learning and sharing everything (sawing). Where are you located? It will help others to give answers and suggestions. That Norwood is a really good mill. Several on here are using them every day. Someone will be along shortly to talk about Norwood Mills. Get the mill setup and enjoy the sawing.  And ,we like pictures          Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

drobertson

howdy buckhunter, looking forward to seeing you and your action,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dad2FourWI

buckhunter,

Welcome! This is a great place for learning and sharing - all the members are very patient with "newbie" questions (I speak from first-hand experience!   :D  )

Once that sawdust flies, it makes its way into your blood... I love to take wood destined for the fire and instead mill it and make something out of it!

-Dad2FourWI

LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

buckhunter

Im from Seabrook NH. Ive seen some profiles on here from people in my area. The reason we bought a mill is last summer I had my brother in law sawed me out a bunch of lumber to re model my camp. I cannot believe how much money we saved and he made a little. The quality of lumber you get in big box stores does not even compare  to what I had sawn. We have a couple people lined up to buy sawn lumber from us to frame a camp and a house. So we are going to make a go of it.

2B1ASK1

mad murdock

Welcome buckhunter!  The bug has bit!  Sounds like you will be off to a running start.  One good thing about the Norwood, is by the time you have it up and going, you will know every part of that mill, If you need to call the millwright, it will be a local call ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SawyerBrown

Welcome 'hunter!  Glad you joined
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

thecfarm

buckhunter,welcome to the forum. Got a Logrite peavey? They are a sponsor on the left. Made in New England too.
Norwood MN26? Motor size,any hyds? You have trees to cut?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lonely Sawer

Buckhunter, welcome to FF. I know how you fell about getting your mill. At least this time of year you won't have to worry about snow storms. You may fell a little overwhelmed when your saw arives. Lots and lots of boxes. I can tell you once you find box #1 it will get better. Just take your time and follow the instructions and you will have a sawmill in no time. And "We like pictures!"(as the saying goes) Have fun.  Brett
Norwood LM29
Sthil 020 16" bar
Sthil 039  24" bar
Kubota L3130 HST W/Backhoe
78 Ford F-800 Boom truck
2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Cummins 4x4 crew
Yamaha Viking SXS

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Buckhunter.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dboyt

Buckhunter,  welcome to the forum, and to Norwood!

Quote from: Andy White on June 05, 2014, 10:20:03 AM
That Norwood is a really good mill. Several on here are using them every day. Someone will be along shortly to talk about Norwood Mills.

There are several Norwood owners on the forum.  Good company, and they build a good mill.  Lonely Sawyer has it right about assembling the mill.  Which engine option did you get?  Great that you've got cutting jobs already.  Start out by cutting blocking and stickers out of junk logs, then cut for yourself, until you get the hang of it.  Very simple machine & quick learning curve.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

buckhunter

Just got a call from NewPenn trucking, our mill is already in Billerica Mass. It will be in our dooryard by 6 pm tomorrow. My youngest son is graduating HS and his party is Saturday at 1.How the hell am I suppose  to concentrate on cooking a 15 lb ribeye on an open fire pit with a big halo over top of the crate of boxes sitting there. LOL

2B1ASK1

Lonely Sawer

Congrats on the boy graduating. He will be a big help on the mill. If I didn't live so far away, I would help you on the
ribeye , um, I mean the saw. That sucks having to wait but you have all day Sunday to get going on it.
Norwood LM29
Sthil 020 16" bar
Sthil 039  24" bar
Kubota L3130 HST W/Backhoe
78 Ford F-800 Boom truck
2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Cummins 4x4 crew
Yamaha Viking SXS

Magicman

Hello buckhunter, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum and Congrats on the new Norwood.

Updating your profile to show your location as well as the sawmill will help with questions.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Welcome Buckhunter. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

mart

Welcome buckhunter. It's a great forum with some really great folks. I've learned a lot here. Congrats on the new mill.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

kczbest

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, buckhunter!
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard Buckhunter. bg

tcg

Welcome to the forum buckhunter.

Congratulation on your son's graduation & a new mill life is good!

buckhunter

Well fellas got mill at 1130 yesterday morning, she is half together (bed rails and carriage complete).Holy smokes there is a pile of pieces. Had my cousin stop by who is a logger he gona to drop me off some logs tomorrow. Thing with him will work out good, Ive helped him when he needed me during excavations of house lots so he had no problem with giving me logs. Ill get some pics up asap

2B1ASK1

thecfarm

Thanks for the update. You will like it!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Buckhunter,  great group here on the FF.

Make sure you empty your pockets of sawdust before laundry time :D.

Best
DGDrls

buckhunter

I love sawdust, dgdrls. Ive been looking at different kinds of wood and that Cocobolo is some sharp looking.

2B1ASK1

buckhunter

Well fellas she is all together gona try to saw first log tomorrow after work

2B1ASK1

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: buckhunter on June 09, 2014, 07:14:25 PM
Well fellas she is all together gona try to saw first log tomorrow after work

That's pretty cool......you'll have fun, so watch out.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Congrats on getting-r-ready.  Now remember that the blades are designed to saw wood, not side supports, log clamps and various other parts of your sawmill.   ;D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

Quote from: Magicman on June 09, 2014, 10:12:00 PM
Congrats on getting-r-ready.  Now remember that the blades are designed to saw wood, not side supports, log clamps and various other parts of your sawmill.   ;D   :D

Naw... them blades cut steel jes fine. I got a third the way thru a dog on my first log, fore I figured out what was going on.  ;D

Don't forget your camera, buck!  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ET

One more Welcome Buckhunter!  Its a requirement to post pics of ur bucks too!  Just kidding, but with your name;  you have to brag a little. Seems to me MM wife holds the record for the nicest buck Ive seen on FF.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Darrel

So glad you got your mill :laugh:  Now if only I had mine!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!