iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 drive belt jumped over, only half of belt on pulley.

Started by Delawhere Jack, June 08, 2014, 05:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

I pulled all the covers off my mill this afternoon for painting and noticed that my drive belt had jumped forward. It's a twin V belt, and only half of it was engaging the pulleys. Any thoughts on why this may have happened? I put a straight edge on the edge of the pulley and sighted up towards the pulley on the motor. It appears that it may be very slightly out of alignment. Viewing the band position on the driven band wheel seems to confirm this, but it is very slight. (I will adjust it.)

I don't know when the belt moved, but shows wear from rubbing against the bracket that holds the lift chain idler sprocket.

In any case, I'll be ordering a bunch of little items from WM tomorrow, mostly due to posts I've read here on the FF in the last few days.  ::) I've got a big job coming up 150 miles away the end of next week, better safe than broke down.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on June 08, 2014, 05:36:53 PMAny thoughts on why this may have happened?

I've had that happen to me before as well. Normally it is because your brake strap is too loose and it's letting the engine drop down too much.

Or is it your turn buckle is too short?

Well, it's one or the other. You need to adjust them so that there isn't a lot of play in your drive belt. But beware that there are lots of adjustments to make once you change one thing you're going to need to re-adjust them all.

For example if you increase how high the turn buckle holds up your engine then the brake strap has to be tightened. If you move the engine up your throttle cable may be too tight and break when you pull down the clutch lever. So you may have to make it longer. Setting the engine high idle speed then becomes a necessity.

These things are all connected and change one and you have to adjust them all to get it back to working correctly. It isn't hard if you do it in the right sequence.

I don't know if I have told you the right sequence or not.

You're going to have to call WM and ask them which order to do what in. And write it down as I should have when I called them and asked them.

Or maybe someone here will tell you which order to adjust these things in so that you do it right.

Good luck.

Jim Rogers 
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

drobertson

Never seen it, but it sounds like Jim is on the right track.  Might check some of the bushings on the engine mounts, and even the drive pulley bearings,  not a lot of clearance in there,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Mine has done that, but only once.

I put it back in both grooves and it's been running right every since.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Delawhere Jack

Thanks Jim, I'll check the brake adjustment. I had replaced the hiem joints on the end of the turnbuckle a while back, and lengthened the turnbuckle not long ago.

Looks like I'll be in the phone with WM for a while tomorrow.

pineywoods

Yeah, brake band adjustment.  If you run out of adjustment range, a piece of old 2 inch wide leather belt glued to the old friction lining will restore the adjustment range. Mine was done years ago, no idea how long that fix will last..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

backwoods sawyer

Sighting a pully leaves a lot of room for variance ??? may want to get a straight edge ON the pullies just to confirm the alignment.
A worn streched belt will tend to jump groves more then a new belt.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!